E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Puncture / Wheel Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

Car is coming up to a year old and has 17500 miles so I was going to change the tyres pretty soon, but this morning ( at about 30 mph thankfully ) the puncture warning!! lights up everywhere - you certainly notice it - and sure enough I had a puncture in a rear tyre. I have 172 19 inch alloys so I changed it for the skinny spare. Only used a car jack on a few occasions (?) and this set up was very easy to use.

I will now get a full set of tyres ( I can now see that the rears are really worn and the fronts probably only have 500 to 1000 miles left in them and as I want to go to Germany soon to check out the cars max speed will change fronts as well) and will keep to the same Conti SportContact2 as I am quite happy with them.

But before I get the new tyres I need to have the alloys repaired as both the nearside rims ( left hand side nearest the kerb in the UK ) have knocks. The front wheel has a large 'gouge' where I had to dive in the hedge on a country road - driving too fast again.

Anybody had 172's repaired? Do the they repair well? They seem to have a top layer of enamel which, on my front, looks like it's chipped, can they just be filled and painted? I dont intend using the car until the wheels are repaired and new tyres fitted which will be a real pain.

Any comments much appreciated.