E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And the FIRST issue I experience is.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Sport Package

HPFP!!!!!

Took my '08 535i in for service after experiencing an engine malfunction Saturday night.

Service Advisor was suprised I already knew about the issue.
Thanks for letting me know about it when I first go into the car guys!

Now they are just waiting to hear from BMW for authorization to fix the issue and get the necessary software update.

Oh, and I am experiencing the trans slam, too. And just as expected, the software update is "supposed" to fix that as well.
But we all know what the end result of that will be.....
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Turbonegro
HPFP!!!!!

Took my '08 535i in for service after experiencing an engine malfunction Saturday night.

Service Advisor was suprised I already knew about the issue.
Thanks for letting me know about it when I first go into the car guys!

Now they are just waiting to hear from BMW for authorization to fix the issue and get the necessary software update.

Oh, and I am experiencing the trans slam, too. And just as expected, the software update is "supposed" to fix that as well.
But we all know what the end result of that will be.....
It's a major stepping stone, your first HPFP
Old 05-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Members

Dammit, BS time!

They are saying that they want to update the software first and charge $300+ for that BEFORE the replace the pump.

That would cause me to have to come out of pocket for the deductible for my aftermarket warranty...
And that's IF they cover it, which I am sure they will. But still.....

Is there a new bulletin out that specifies this as the appropriate course of action?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

What did they give you for a loaner? Expect this to take a couple of days at best. Took the dealer 2 days to "re-program" his 335 after replacing his HPFP!!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Try to relax....take a deep breath....everything will be fine
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sleeper50
What did they give you for a loaner? Expect this to take a couple of days at best. Took the dealer 2 days to "re-program" his 335 after replacing his HPFP!!
Haven't gotten a loaner, as I had to come in sooner and couldn't wait for an appointment. They've had it since yesterday and just got to working on it today...

They will have to get me into one now. This is going to mess up my weekend for sure.

Originally Posted by 1600
Try to relax....take a deep breath....everything will be fine
Honestly, I'm not too relaxed. I figure if this is supposed to be something that's understood, I shouldn't be paying for things to get to the point where they decide whether its an HPFP issue.

I guess its my fault for purchasing the car from a non-BMW dealer and them not having the ability to update the software version before I purchased it.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Honestly, I'm not too relaxed. I figure if this is supposed to be something that's understood, I shouldn't be paying for things to get to the point where they decide whether its an HPFP issue.

I guess its my fault for purchasing the car from a non-BMW dealer and them not having the ability to update the software version before I purchased it.

Personally, I would refuse to pay for anything - it;s a known issue that BMW is getting sued for here in California - the fact that they want you to pay for something that really should be a recall item is ridiculous. Software alone probably won;t fix it. Too many people have lemoned their 1/3/535's for it to be the owners responsibility.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Dammit, BS time!

They are saying that they want to update the software first and charge $300+ for that BEFORE the replace the pump.

That would cause me to have to come out of pocket for the deductible for my aftermarket warranty...
And that's IF they cover it, which I am sure they will. But still.....

Is there a new bulletin out that specifies this as the appropriate course of action?
It was posted here that the warranty for HPFP failures was good for somehting like 100k miles. Since updating the software is part of the fix it should be covered by BMW.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
It was posted here that the warranty for HPFP failures was good for somehting like 100k miles. Since updating the software is part of the fix it should be covered by BMW.
That's what I figured. But apparently since they now have to get authorization to perform the maintenance, the requirement for approval is to update the software first. They think this will clear the issue totally, even though we all know it won't. If anything, it may mask an the root cause.

I'm told that my car didn't actually throw the code for the HPFP issue, even though the check engine light and the reduce power light came on.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

That's what I figured. But apparently since they now have to get authorization to perform the maintenance, the requirement for approval is to update the software first. They think this will clear the issue totally, even though we all know it won't. If anything, it may mask an the root cause.

I'm told that my car didn't actually throw the code for the HPFP issue, even though the check engine light and the reduce power light came on.
Your car does not have to throw any codes for the warranty service to kick in. There is a TB that clearly defines symptoms that the tech can identify (e.g. long cranks) without ever having to hook it up to a diagnostic computer.

Quick Reply: And the FIRST issue I experience is.....