E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First impressions of 535d sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto
Wink

Done some motorway, A-road, tight bend driving today and cannot get the smile off my face. I took a friend (main car dealer no BMW) in it tonight and he was absolutely shocked by the performance (only up to 3,500rpm) and the overall quality of the package.

Before I compare my new and old rides please note my 530d was one of the first cars launched in the UK and suffered teething problems so the 2004/05 530d's and all E60's for that matter should be a lot better.

All below is IMHO: -

Engine - smoother on 535d and sounds more refined.
Performance - significantly faster
Auto box - 535d stays in higher gears at very low speeds
Fuel consumption - Too early to say but I doubt if 535 will be as good as 530 except on the motorway
Handling - Mtech suspension v SE sports suspension - M keeps car flatter and gives better ride.
Steering - AS gives go-cart feel at low speed but becomes vague at high speed. The conventional setup requires only a small amount of extra effort at low speed, doesn't cause tramlining under braking and gives go-cart feel at speed which is right where you want it.
Seats - Sports seats are superb SE seats give no support.
Exterior - Mtech body kit looks superb
Wheels - Give me back my 275 rear tyres on 124 rims. I want exclusive wheels to the E60 not ones that are available on the old shape 3 series. They're wider on the 3 series too! Can't wait for the 19" 172's.
Exhaust - Proper chrome tailpipes look better than ground facing unfinished pipes.
No plate holder - 535 has proper front holder in body colour, looks great.
Interior Prefer black seats, anthracite roof lining and light poplar wood (is he still going on about those old planks) compared to grey,grey and maple wood. I know its personal preference.
Idrive/Sat nav - The whole system is soooo slow compared to the smaller screened version which is instant. The business sat nav can calculate a route in less than 10seconds. Apart from the speed I love the screen detail and of course that perspective view with clouds is very impressive. The traffic system is also impressive and came as a nice surprise as didn't know it was std.
Extended Voice Control - This is brilliant if your just about to order I would advise you get it - so much fun and keeps your eyes on the road.
Extended lights - Love them too especially the lights outside under the mirrors - well worth the money.
High gloss shadow line - Beautiful.
M spoiler For ?135 its a must
HiFi - The difference between the UK std system is incredible
Aircon advanced - Probably too complicated compared to my last std system. Quick clear windscreen mode is very useful and the system in the new ruthenium looks great at night. As I said before the std system has no place in a car like the E60.
Adaptive headlights - Great fun but not as necessary as xenons.

Overall I'm amazed by the difference between my last car and the new 535d. The increase in power, quality and equipment far outweighs the extra I've forked out

Just one more pic of the wood - sorry but I love it
Attached Thumbnails First impressions of 535d sport-2005_0330image0012.jpg  
Old 03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 31 2005, 03:55 PM
Done some motorway, A-road, tight bend driving today and cannot get the smile off my face. ? ? ? ? I took a friend (main car dealer no BMW) in it tonight and he was absolutely shocked by the performance (only up to 3,500rpm) and the overall quality of the package.?

Before I compare my new and old rides please note my 530d was one of the first cars launched in the UK and suffered teething problems so the 2004/05 530d's and all E60's for that matter should be a lot better.

All below is IMHO: -

Engine - smoother on 535d and sounds more refined.
Performance? - significantly faster
Auto box - 535d stays in higher gears at very low speeds
Fuel consumption - Too early to say but I doubt if 535 will be as good as 530 except on the motorway
Handling - Mtech suspension v SE sports suspension - M keeps car flatter and gives better ride.
Steering - AS gives go-cart feel at low speed but becomes vague at high speed. The conventional setup requires only a small amount of extra effort at low speed, doesn't cause tramlining under braking and gives go-cart feel at speed which is right where you want it.
Seats - Sports seats are superb SE seats give no support.
Exterior - Mtech body kit looks superb
Wheels - Give me back my 275 rear tyres on 124 rims. I want exclusive wheels to the E60 not ones that are available on the old shape 3 series. They're wider on the 3 series too! Can't wait for the 19" 172's.
Exhaust - Proper chrome tailpipes look better than ground facing unfinished pipes.
No plate holder - 535 has proper front holder in body colour, looks great.
Interior Prefer black seats, anthracite roof lining and light poplar wood (is he still going on about those old planks) compared to grey,grey and maple wood. I know its personal preference.
Idrive/Sat nav - The whole system is soooo slow compared to the smaller screened version which is instant. The business sat nav can calculate a route in less than 10seconds. Apart from the speed I love the screen detail and of course that perspective view with clouds is very impressive. The traffic system is also impressive and came as a nice surprise as didn't know it was std.
Extended Voice Control - This is brilliant if your just about to order I would advise you get it - so much fun and keeps your eyes on the road.
Extended lights - Love them too especially the lights outside under the mirrors - well worth the money.
High gloss shadow line - Beautiful.
M spoiler For ?135 its a must
HiFi - The difference between the UK std system is incredible
Aircon advanced - Probably too complicated compared to my last std system. Quick clear windscreen mode is very useful and the system in the new ruthenium looks great at night. As I said before the std system has no place in a car like the E60.
Adaptive headlights - Great fun but not as necessary as xenons.

Overall I'm amazed by the difference between my last car and the new 535d. The increase in power, quality and equipment far outweighs the extra I've forked out?

Just one more pic of the wood - sorry but I love it
[snapback]109549[/snapback]
Stop it already! You are killing me. I want your interior wood and all the great stuff in your new car. Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Members

Merv.

Tx for info .. car is nice.. real nice.. agree wheels are not brilliant and don't suit the E60 but at least your dealer is allowing you to use them FOC untill your new ones arrive.

personally not usually a big wood fan but your trim looks very expensive .. puts the trim in my wifes CL to shame !

keep posting your views on your new motor.. you will help me decide what to order for early 2006 delivery !

David
Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by manc5' date='Mar 31 2005, 07:22 PM
Merv.

Tx for info .. car is nice.. real nice.. agree wheels are not brilliant and don't suit the E60 but at least your dealer is allowing you to use them FOC untill your new ones arrive.

personally not usually a big wood fan but your trim looks very expensive .. puts the trim in my wifes CL to shame !

keep posting your views on your new motor.. you will help me decide what to order for early 2006 delivery !

David
[snapback]109565[/snapback]
David,

It puts the wood in my wifes ML to shame too but then so does a Ford Ka!

If you like the 530D you will you will absolutely be head over heels with the 535D.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

Merv, nice write up, done about a 1000 miles in mine now and agree with all your points apart from the two I cannot comment on.....

- diesel power, i got petrol, no tractor power for me just yet

- wood trim, looks great in your photos. I had wood trim in my SE but decided this time to stick with the aluminium cube trim. i actually really like the alu/cube i think i must be the only one? Goes well with the black interior and it doesnt show up any marks or scratches, my old trim picked up a couple of marks and the gloss finish would show these up.

other points in new car......

- bluetooth, works great, never had it in last car, love it
- satnav pro, well worth the money
- UK HiFi package, a must have over the std system
- as merv said, sports seats are superb compared to my old std seats.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Apr 1 2005, 04:21 AM
Merv, nice write up, done about a 1000 miles in mine now and agree with all your points apart from the two I cannot comment on.....

- diesel power, i got petrol, no tractor power for me just yet ?

- wood trim, looks great in your photos. I had wood trim in my SE but decided this time to stick with the aluminium cube trim. i actually really like the alu/cube i think i must be the only one? ? Goes well with the black interior and it doesnt show up any marks or scratches, my old trim picked up a couple of marks? and the gloss finish would show these up.

other points in new car......

- bluetooth, works great, never had it in last car, love it
- satnav pro, well worth the money
- UK HiFi package, a must have over the std system
- as merv said, sports seats are superb compared to my old std seats.
[snapback]109722[/snapback]
To much to take in, forgot to mention Blue Tooth. Don't know what BMW have done but the clarity is fantastic now compared to my last one (don't need to shout) and the screen shows the phone no's along side the names which is very useful.
You guys with 2004 models have probably been enjoying this level of quality anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 31 2005, 11:55 PM
Done some motorway, A-road, tight bend driving today and cannot get the smile off my face. ? ? ? ? I took a friend (main car dealer no BMW) in it tonight and he was absolutely shocked by the performance (only up to 3,500rpm) and the overall quality of the package.?
Grrrr.... I want one! I'm going to wait though
Old 04-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

I just LOOOOOOVE the 535dA MSport! (Based on 1 day driving experience!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

well done merv good write up, can you remember when your last car was run in mine was about six thousand miles the drive was much better wasn't it I've done about 1000 miles now, can't wait to see what it's like
Old 04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

So there's the light poplar wood everyone wanted to see. I've recently updated the gallery on the main site renaming "poplar" to "dark_poplar" to make room for light poplar. I also renamed anthracite to anthracite_maple to better match too. Cool!

Quick Reply: First impressions of 535d sport