E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First experience feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:36 PM
JCM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi Titanium Gray Packages: Premium, Sport, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Options: Comfort Access, HUD, NAV, 18" wheels

My new 2006 530xi has just been delivered and I thought I could share my initial experience

First and most important, great car! A pleasure to drive. We had a small blizzard in Massachusetts on Sunday and the xDrive/DTC combination works pretty well on icy/snowy roads.

Communication

I've been able to pair my BlackBerry 7100t (running 4.0.2.49) without any problem but the address book cannot be downloaded. You need to initiate the calls from the BB (or enter the number through iDrive). I've heard that with version 4.1 of the BB handheld software, syncing the address book will become possible. I've not been able to find a release date for 4.1

Entertainment

I have the premium sound package (13 HP, Logic 7, 6-CD changer).
I've been able to play MP3 CDs from the main CD player but not from the CD changer.
I've also been able to play an MP3 DVD by removing the Nav DVD and put an MP3 DVD instead. Nice if you now where you're going...

- Does anybody know if the incompatibility between the CD changer and MP3 CDs is a known issue? Any software upgrade to fix that?
- Any way a replacement part for the Nav DVD player could be used to replace the main CD player?
- I've browsed the forums and I haven't found a really neat solution to plug an ipod with (i) iDrive control, (ii) charging the ipod, (iii) getting audio from the dock connector (not from the jack). Did I miss something?

General questions

- Several people on this forum mentioned upgrading the CIP. Is there a place to find all the available versions and associated release notes?
- How do you know which version your car is running?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JCM, congratulations on your car -- I'm sure you'll grow to love it even more each day.

I can't answer every one of your questions off the top of my head but as far as the CD changer playing MP3's I think that may come with a future software update. Keep in mind that many of us don't even have the capability to play MP3's in the CD slot so you're already ahead of the game... As far as the CIP upgrades, click here to see if this is what you're looking for. Also, the only way to determine what CIP version you currently are running is for the dealer to get a reading by connecting the car to one of their machines.

Although I'm sure others will chime in with some additional help for you, I wanted to simply say that I think just about every question you asked is answered here in the forums already -- you're ownership experience with your new car will be tremendously enhanced if you spend some time reading and searching the vast amount of information that we've shared over the years of our collective ownership.

You've found the greatest source of information on the E60 and the greatest collection of owners that are as enthusiastic about their cars today as the day they first drove them. If you spend some time getting familiar with the forums and your car by reading what we've already experienced, you'll be an expert in no time!

Happy driving and post some photos when you get a chance!

P.S. - sorry about the Patriots! I would have loved to see a rematch between the Steelers again this year (but with a different outcome...)
Old 01-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JCM' post='224828' date='Jan 15 2006, 10:36 PM
My new 2006 530xi has just been delivered and I thought I could share my initial experience

First and most important, great car! A pleasure to drive. We had a small blizzard in Massachusetts on Sunday and the xDrive/DTC combination works pretty well on icy/snowy roads.

Communication

I've been able to pair my BlackBerry 7100t (running 4.0.2.49) without any problem but the address book cannot be downloaded. You need to initiate the calls from the BB (or enter the number through iDrive). I've heard that with version 4.1 of the BB handheld software, syncing the address book will become possible. I've not been able to find a release date for 4.1

Entertainment

I have the premium sound package (13 HP, Logic 7, 6-CD changer).
I've been able to play MP3 CDs from the main CD player but not from the CD changer.
I've also been able to play an MP3 DVD by removing the Nav DVD and put an MP3 DVD instead. Nice if you now where you're going...

- Does anybody know if the incompatibility between the CD changer and MP3 CDs is a known issue? Any software upgrade to fix that?
- Any way a replacement part for the Nav DVD player could be used to replace the main CD player?
- I've browsed the forums and I haven't found a really neat solution to plug an ipod with (i) iDrive control, (ii) charging the ipod, (iii) getting audio from the dock connector (not from the jack). Did I miss something?

General questions

- Several people on this forum mentioned upgrading the CIP. Is there a place to find all the available versions and associated release notes?
- How do you know which version your car is running?
Welcome, and congratulations on your car.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Welcome and congrats on your new ride, enjoy it like the rest of us do..
Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Congrats on your new car. Welcome to E60 forums.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Congratulations on your new car! as far as the Blackberry goes, I have the 7520 and just downloaded v4.1.0 and the address book shows up in the IDrive ... and the numbers shows with the names now..just my 2 cents
Old 02-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Welcome & enjoy your new ride.

This place is the font of all knowledge for everything E60/61
Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by JCM' post='224828' date='Jan 15 2006, 10:36 PM
Welcome JCM,
Sorry I can't help you with your issues, but then, it sounds as though you'd be more attracted to laps around Circuit City than Nurburgring.

Have fun,
Ray Hull
Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by JCM' post='224828' date='Jan 15 2006, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard & congrats on the new car.

The CD changer does not play MP3 CDs--yet--here's a doc with more details:
MP3_drives.pdf
There is no iPod integration product available yet for the E60. The best solution now is have the aux input installed, which is a simple audio jack--install instructions here:
5_series_aux_input.pdf
Here's a post with my iPod hardwire install, which answers your other iPod related questions:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430

The only way to find out the CIP version (now called PROGMAN) is to take it to the dealer.

As Rudy mentioned, there is an amazing amount of info available here, and most topics have been discussed a few times, so take the time to familiarize yourself with the search function!

Post some pix when you get a chance.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

The CIP (PROGMAN) progression is here in this thread, post #6

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...780&hl=PROGMAN

Although there is a online 20.02 available for fixing an E90 RAD2 problem, it has not been identified with a Target Data Status number as yet. We will have to wait and see when we get future updates and see what BMW says about it.

And welcome to E60.net your friend in need - but u have to pay with pics.

Quick Reply: First experience feedback