E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Drive Impressions (long post warning)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally I have my car. After my first car was stuck in the VPC for the DME recall and my 2005 spent 3 weeks there for the emissions BS. I flew to ATL and took delivery. If anyone wants a good deal on a BMW talk to Adrian at Nalley BMW. If you tell him I sent you maybe I'll get a discount on my next one ?M5? He even picked me up at the airport. I had 500 miles to drive home to start the break-in. My favorite feature - the ENGINE. Some people talk about the NAV or HUD but this thing really hauls A--! The throttle response is amazing, even top gear acceleration is quick. I had no problems adjusting to the AS and the car hugged the road on sweeping turns at 85+ mph. Cockpit noise is minimal even at speed with the runflats. HUD is a must. I've always been an eyes on the road driver and now with the NAV data and speedo/cruise info it makes it that much easier. My only complaint is that I wish there was some ability to adjust it's location up or down by a few inches. The vent seats are quite nice especially for long drives. Hopefully I never get out of car with a sweaty back again. Comfort seats fit like a glove. I can't wait for the next auto mag write up on the I drive. It's not brain surgery. Within a hour I had 90% of it down and with the voice controls and steering wheel buttons you don't need it that much. One surprise was the PDC. I didn't order it with the 2004 and it came standard on the 2005 so I couldn't refuse it. It works well and should keep me from scraping the front spoiler on parking stops. The turn signals now work normally not just 3 clicks and it stops. The now standard extra wood around the lower console in both the front and back seats looks great. I don't do a lot of regular highway driving so I bought a V1 for the trip. My first radar detector in almost 20 years. The damn thing is amazing and kept the pesky GAHP off my tail. Sorry for the long post but for all you boys who are waiting it is well worth it . Anyone want a 1993 3000GT cheap? "q"
PS Will post picks this weekend
Old 11-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gmartin' date='Nov 5 2004, 05:56 AM
Finally I have my car. After my first car was stuck in the VPC for the DME recall and my 2005 spent 3 weeks there for the emissions BS. I flew to ATL and took delivery.? If anyone wants a good deal on a BMW talk to Adrian at Nalley BMW. If you tell him I sent you maybe I'll get a discount on my next one ?M5? He even picked me up at the airport. I had 500 miles to drive home to start the break-in. My favorite feature - the ENGINE. Some people talk about the NAV or HUD but this thing really hauls A--! The throttle response is amazing, even top gear acceleration is quick. I had no problems adjusting to the AS and the car hugged the road on sweeping turns at 85+ mph. Cockpit noise is minimal even at speed with the runflats. HUD is a must. I've always been an eyes on the road driver and now with the NAV data and speedo/cruise info it makes it that much easier. My only complaint is that I wish there was some ability to adjust it's location up or down by a few inches. The vent seats are quite nice especially for long drives. Hopefully I never get out of car with a sweaty back again. Comfort seats fit like a glove. I can't wait for the next auto mag write up on the I drive. It's not brain surgery. Within a hour I had 90% of it down and with the voice controls and steering wheel buttons you don't need it that much. One surprise was the PDC. I didn't order it with the 2004 and it came standard on the 2005 so I couldn't refuse it. It works well and should keep me from scraping the front spoiler on parking stops. The turn signals now work normally not just 3 clicks and it stops. The now standard extra wood around the lower console in both the front and back seats looks great.? I don't do a lot of regular highway driving so I bought a V1 for the trip. My first radar detector in almost 20 years. The damn thing is amazing and kept the pesky GAHP off my tail. Sorry for the long post but for all you boys who are waiting it is well worth it . Anyone want a 1993 3000GT cheap? "q"
PS Will post picks this weekend
[snapback]52800[/snapback]
Glad you had a wonderful experience with the car. The long wait probably made the car that much more enjoyable.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

Nice post. It wasn't "that" long. Good info. Keep us updated.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

congrats, gmartin ! can't wait to see the pics . btw, you can always go to idrive to change your turn signal setting.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by gmartin' date='Nov 4 2004, 09:56 PM
One surprise was the PDC. I didn't order it with the 2004 and it came standard on the 2005 so I couldn't refuse it. It works well and should keep me from scraping the front spoiler on parking stops.
Make sure you turn it on. I have a metal pole in my parking space at work. It only automatically engages in reverse. I have to remember to turn it on before nosing in to the space.

Originally Posted by gmartin' date='Nov 4 2004, 09:56 PM
The turn signals now work normally not just 3 clicks and it stops.
[snapback]52800[/snapback]
Huh??? You should have the option to turn triple signal activation on or off in I-drive. The MY04 does.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

When I get to Tampa, we'll have to get together for a cup of coffee.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Congrats, sounds good. Awaiting pics!!

Enjoy!!

Andy
Old 11-05-2004, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

btw gmartin, the HUD does adust in a variety of different ways. But not easily. there are controls inside the dash behind the idrive display. Rudy sent me the pdfs of how it is done and I had the dealer do it.

The adjustments are more fine-tuning than 'a few inches' but they can adjust the angle (clockwise/counter) and height as well.

You could search for a thread on HUD angle adjust or something like that.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

Way to go, qmartin. I can tell from your enthusiasm, that there are many happy days again. I still share all of your emotions every time I take mine out.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

THanks to all who replied. G davis I don't think I'm quite ready to mess with the HUD yet. Will probably hard wire the V1 first. Will post pics this weekend. Go W

Quick Reply: First Drive Impressions (long post warning)