E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First big snow with the e60 and All-season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if you have the resources and space etc it is a great idea to get winter tires if you feel safter or do drive in heavy snow all the time. First off where I live snow is not that huge of an issue in the year. Gets a few weeks of snow each year and usually melts quickly. Ice is a bit of a problem. However I do not have the space as I live in a condo with no storage to keep an extra set of tires or rims. I also am leasing the car so I do not want to invest in another set of rims and winter setup nor can I afford either.

All I am saying is if you have smoe more mild snow conditions up to a few inches and you live in the city where roads are generealy cleared for the most part-the a/s tires have done the trick all week now without any problem. Maybe I go a bit slower than one would with a winter setup but again I live close to work and going slow still takes me 10 minutes to get to my destination. I also do not really have to drive anywhere if it is really bad out.

So bottom line if there is a reason why it would be hard to get a winter setup-a/s are a lot better than people have said they are on this board
Old 12-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Do we assume from your user name, you live in Quebec? If so, I was under the impression (and having been there a few times in the winter months) that most parts of Quebec get a fair amount of snow and certainly icey conditions. Otherwise, why does Montreal use so darn much salt on the roads?

Regardless, it sounds like you won't buy winter tires because you can't afford them, you have no where to store tires, and you're leasing the car. It also sounds like to me that you want ppl on here to agree with your decision to not get winters.

It's your car and it's your neck, so you do whatever you wish. However, in real winter conditions, you may well be walking or taking transit/cab to go out. That's OK, lot's of ppl do that, and it's wise in some cases.

Just don't try to tell us that All-Seasons are as good as winter tires for snow and ice. Because they are not. I am an older person who has spent many, many winters driving in Alberta and BC in winter, and there is no substitute for good winter tires on your car. Period.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by tuco' post='504203' date='Dec 7 2007, 07:12 PM
Do we assume from your user name, you live in Quebec? If so, I was under the impression (and having been there a few times in the winter months) that most parts of Quebec get a fair amount of snow and certainly icey conditions. Otherwise, why does Montreal use so darn much salt on the roads?

Regardless, it sounds like you won't buy winter tires because you can't afford them, you have no where to store tires, and you're leasing the car. It also sounds like to me that you want ppl on here to agree with your decision to not get winters.

It's your car and it's your neck, so you do whatever you wish. However, in real winter conditions, you may well be walking or taking transit/cab to go out. That's OK, lot's of ppl do that, and it's wise in some cases.

Just don't try to tell us that All-Seasons are as good as winter tires for snow and ice. Because they are not. I am an older person who has spent many, many winters driving in Alberta and BC in winter, and there is no substitute for good winter tires on your car. Period.
T , we'll see if he tells us that he was in a tire related accident !!!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Just ordered 4 Bridgestone RE960 AS, get them installed on Monday. My sport package Dunlops don't grip well on a dry surface if its too cold.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tuco' post='504203' date='Dec 7 2007, 07:12 PM
Did I say this at all? I do not have any room to store a set of tires. With that I cannot afford to toss one set for the winter and re-buy tires every season-that would be a waste.

No I do not live in quebec currently. From there.

And for a place that recieves a few snowfalls a year I do not think it is worth the compromise in looks and handling in non snow conditions to get snows. Many american cities get a few big dumps a year-a day later roads are salted and cleared so really there are very few days in a city where you are driving on snow roads. Unless you live in the country like I said. To me 10 days a year of snow driving MAYBE is not worth the time, hassle, money and decrease looks/dry performance of a whole new set of tires.

I think you should work on your driving skills if you canot drive with a/s tires. I grew up in snow driving rwd cars/trucks with bald tires or crappy tires and none of the electronic stability controls we have now and learned to drive properly in the snow and control the vehicle. Slides and skids are nothing with today's abs and electronic controls.

Yes I will say it-for city driving and occasional dumps of snow there is no benefit to buying snows-if you are mountain driving or country driving with feet of snow-then yes of course snows are much better.

Learn to drive and you wont have to rely on that much help. Look how sad you are. You have a car with ABS, Full stability control from one of the best makers of this, and this is still not enough you have to get snow specific tires. That is a sad set of driving skill you have there hahaha
Old 12-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by quebecois' post='504393' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:49 PM
I think you should work on your driving skills if you canot drive with a/s tires. I grew up in snow driving rwd cars/trucks with bald tires or crappy tires and none of the electronic stability controls we have now and learned to drive properly in the snow and control the vehicle. Slides and skids are nothing with today's abs and electronic controls.

Learn to drive and you wont have to rely on that much help. Look how sad you are. You have a car with ABS, Full stability control from one of the best makers of this, and this is still not enough you have to get snow specific tires. That is a sad set of driving skill you have there hahaha
Tough words. You might not get much sympathy around here when you curb you e60.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

RWB is that you??? !! Welcome back !
Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by quebecois' post='504393' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:49 AM
Did I say this at all? I do not have any room to store a set of tires. With that I cannot afford to toss one set for the winter and re-buy tires every season-that would be a waste.

No I do not live in quebec currently. From there.

And for a place that recieves a few snowfalls a year I do not think it is worth the compromise in looks and handling in non snow conditions to get snows. Many american cities get a few big dumps a year-a day later roads are salted and cleared so really there are very few days in a city where you are driving on snow roads. Unless you live in the country like I said. To me 10 days a year of snow driving MAYBE is not worth the time, hassle, money and decrease looks/dry performance of a whole new set of tires.

Yes I will say it-for city driving and occasional dumps of snow there is no benefit to buying snows-if you are mountain driving or country driving with feet of snow-then yes of course snows are much better.

Although you posted your comments twice (for emphasis, in anger, lack of knowledge??), I won't even grace your comments with a reply from me. Once you have to resort to personal attacks, you have pretty lost any credibility you once maybe had.....
Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by tuco' post='504417' date='Dec 8 2007, 02:13 PM
Although you posted your comments twice (for emphasis, in anger, lack of knowledge??), I won't even grace your comments with a reply from me. Once you have to resort to personal attacks, you have pretty lost any credibility you once maybe had.....
Tuco - This is our old/banned/kicked off member, redwhiteblue. I can't believe it, but with only 11 posts under his new name, he's already ripping on people! LOL! As an fyi to those who read this, this member was kicked off a few weeks ago under the redwhiteblue name. He was also the member that was kicked off earlier this year, under the name sleepyca31. He has a tendency to rip on people, so pay no attention.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributors

[quote name='C's Bimmer' date='Dec 10 2007, 12:25 AM' post='504874']
Tuco - This is our old/banned/kicked off member, redwhiteblue. I can't believe it, but with only 11 posts under his new name, he's already ripping on people! LOL! As an fyi to those who read this, this member was kicked off a few weeks ago under the redwhiteblue name. He was also the member that was kicked off earlier this year, under the name sleepyca31. He has a tendency to rip on people, so pay no attention.

C, you're way too tough on this new rookie !! BAHHHHHHHHHHHHb

Quick Reply: First big snow with the e60 and All-season tires