E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First big snow with the e60 and All-season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by tuco' post='503314' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:17 PM
I disagree, my original comment is accurate. All-seasons do lose their traction in the cold, and do not stop/handle on ice as well as winter tires. See the link in the post above this for reference. Have you spoken to any tire dealers lately who know about the properties of snow tires vs all-seasons? All-seasons are not the best in the summer and not the best in the winter. You might get lucky and get thru winter on all-seasons, depending on where you live, but ppl who drive in serious winter conditions know that winter tires are superior.

So how do you disagree with what I said (you quoted me afterall )?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Not sure why this thread turned into winter is better than all-season. Nobody said they were not superior. The fact is that I got through 4 inches of fresh snow and ice today with my car and I had not even one close call with anything. I live in the city so the snow did not pile and pile. All my point was if you do not want to switch tires or cannot for one reason or another your e60 will do fine with all season tires. I am sure with dedicated winter tires you can go faster and handle even better in the snow but everyone on the road drives pretty slow around here when it snows so there is not much room to zip around even if you could.

Also it was near 0 today and my tires had no problem. You can look it up or call your tire guy but the cold weather thing is not true. I asked this specifically before getting a set so I definetly would not have to switch them at winter and this was the case everywhere I looked into it. Plus any all season or winter tire will be harder compound to begin with over a summer tire. Add to that cold weather and chemisty says it will get even harder. Does not mean it gets too hard to function. The all season tires are designed to handle in light snow in cold temps even though they get harder.

Now you must not have used a good set of all-seasons. The P-zero nero MS and the michelin Pilot sport a/s handle as good as anything in the summer as well unless you are a track person.

Again this is not an arguement for or against. It is saying if for any reason you do not care to switch your tires out or are debating on whether to do it and you do not live in hugely snowy areas, all season tires, a good pair will get you through most anything just fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='503323' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:33 PM
So how do you disagree with what I said (you quoted me afterall )?
I don't disagree with wasupdu, I disagree with what quebecois said.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='503305' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:46 PM
+1 All seasons are fine in the cold. Summer tires do turn to plastic around that temperature, however.
Not true either. I drove yesterday and today with temperatures as low as 27 F (-3 C) and as long as there was no snow/ice on the road my summer tires did just fine. Even in heavy rain. It is true that summer tires start losing there traction below 7 C, but even at -10-15 C they still good enough for a normal driving. Snow or sleet is a different story though. For a decent traction on ice you need studded tires.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by quebecois' post='503326' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:36 PM
The P-zero nero MS and the michelin Pilot sport a/s handle as good as anything in the summer as well unless you are a track person.

Again this is not an arguement for or against. It is saying if for any reason you do not care to switch your tires out or are debating on whether to do it and you do not live in hugely snowy areas, all season tires, a good pair will get you through most anything just fine.
+1 I can vouch for the Pirelli's. Ive had no traction problems with them. But I wouldn't even think of driving em in deep snow since thats not what they were designed for.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='503358' date='Dec 6 2007, 01:31 AM
Not true either. I drove yesterday and today with temperatures as low as 27 F (-3 C) and as long as there was no snow/ice on the road my summer tires did just fine. Even in heavy rain. It is true that summer tires start losing there traction below 7 C, but even at -10-15 C they still good enough for a normal driving. Snow or sleet is a different story though. For a decent traction on ice you need studded tires.

Agreed.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

It's still early in the season and temps have not hit their all time lows. Just be careful and don't over estimate the use of your tires.

Good luck, Rick....

ps. I have an XI and I still put on 4 Dunlop winter sport M3 tires. Excellent traction.....
Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Members

I find it interesting that people seek the absolute shortest braking distances in the dry but in snow and ice many settle for getting by.

Sure, all-seasons will often get by. But you'll corner more securely and stop more quickly with winter tires. And sometimes stopping ten feet shorter can make all the difference.

I started using winter tires a couple of years ago, and cannot imagine going back to all-seasons.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by mkaresh' post='503949' date='Dec 7 2007, 08:51 AM
I find it interesting that people seek the absolute shortest braking distances in the dry but in snow and ice many settle for getting by.

Sure, all-seasons will often get by. But you'll corner more securely and stop more quickly with winter tires. And sometimes stopping ten feet shorter can make all the difference.

I started using winter tires a couple of years ago, and cannot imagine going back to all-seasons.
It all depends on where you live. I started using winter tires on my 2002 540 and for 2 seasons was very excited about my car's performance in the snow. Then I realized that in northern NJ where I live it is never more than 3-5 days when roads are covered with snow. You can add 10-15 rainy days with temperatures below 35F. Altogether we are talking 20 days maximum when I'd rather have winter setup on my car. 20 days out of 120 (Nov 20 - Mar 20). 100 days easily beat 20 days. Since then I decide to keep my summer tires throughout the year, staying home or using my girlfriend?s RX on snowy days.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Members

True, I was assuming we were talking about places where snow is often on the roads. Like where I live, near Detroit.

Quick Reply: First big snow with the e60 and All-season tires