E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Finally, Ready to Pull the Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='217270
I like active steering a lot, and also like the sport seats better than the comfort seats, so I'd say get AS.

I had keyless go (Mercedes version of comfort access) on my E55 and don't think it's worth $1,000. The coolness factor wears off quickly, so if you're looking to make trade offs, I'd say get AS, forget comfort access & seats.

Silver gray is a great color.

Hi Stream,

Why do you prefer sports seats to comfort seats? I've never tried the comfort seats but most people here seem to like them.

Yes, silver gray is cool and your photo album is tops (especially that closeup of the front fender) on this site.

CVT Benhogan
[/quote]

I prefer seats with deeply cut side bolsters (to keep you in place on the twisties... ), and the sport seats bolsters, particularly the seat bottom bolsters, are more deeply cut. I also like the way they look (more sporty... ) better than the comfort seats! Now if you could get the M sport seats (like on the M5) with the active side bolsters, that would be the way to go.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

can u swing HUD? It is a lot more than a gimick. Good info and easily read. Includes the arrow portion of NAV directions, as well as speed and Cruise Control info. Check messages there as well. can select or de-select portions of the display plus turn off completely. It was a must for me and my trifocal lens but if I did not have that need it would be well worth the $$ for its ability to cut down on taking eyes off the road.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

For the cost of what we pay for these E60s, *buyers remorse* can be a real b*tch...

Personally (Note: I said "personally" to reflect *my* opinion, and mine only... ) I chose Titanium Silver because it still looks great after a rain storm -- hides the dirt quite nicely. I would opt for both comfort seats (They feel great and you don't feel worn out after a long drive) and active steering (nice for city driving).

I'm sure that whatever you choose you'll be happy with.

What helped me with some of my decision making was asking myself the following question:

If I invest a couple more thousand dollars on an already $50,000 plus vehicle, to avoid any buyers remorse, is it worth it?

As a result, I ended up with the car that I wanted and am still very excited about.

Good Luck!
-CoolTones
Old 12-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='217254' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:28 PM
After a long wait, a 550i order for Feb/Mar ED is just hours away. The must have options are Sports, Prem, NAV and CW. I've also spec'd active steering and comfort access. However, wondering about the following: 1) should active steering be ditched for the comfort seats? or 2) omit comfort access for comfort seats? Any thoughts?

Picking colors has been mind boggling. First it was silver grey, then white, and for a brief period jet black. Struggled with white for my last two cars and just couldn't do it. So again I pass and will select sil grey. Still convinced the car looks best in the lighter colors. Exterior color caused problems as I liked beige, and silv grey/beige doesn't quite match. Decided to go with grey, a color I've blasted on this site. It grew on me, not as bleak as black, and looks warm with the light poplar. My apologies to board members with grey interiors.

Thanks all E60ers for the invaluable help, and looking forward to driving the E60.
Congrats for the fabulous machine you are about to get.
About the colors, i would definitly go:
External color: 1st Black saphire 2nd Dark blue 3rd Titanium grey for the exterior (never white: reminds me of my fridge - sorry don't want to offend anyone )
Interior: Either beige or black (had a beige, now i have black)
Sunroof
If you have small kids definitly get integrated seats
If you have budget, get SMG (don't know if it is standard in the 550...)

But these are only details. You have the best core: 550i engine and car! (and hopefully the hands to use it )

Bye and good luck!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Get comfort seats and AS, instead of CA. Jet black looks the best when clean, you cant match the mirror shine with any other color, period!!! Comfort seats, are what the name says, comfortable!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='217299' date='Dec 30 2005, 11:02 AM
For the cost of what we pay for these E60s, *buyers remorse* can be a real b*tch...

Personally (Note: I said "personally" to reflect *my* opinion, and mine only... ) I chose Titanium Silver because it still looks great after a rain storm -- hides the dirt quite nicely. I would opt for both comfort seats (They feel great and you don't feel worn out after a long drive) and active steering (nice for city driving).

I'm sure that whatever you choose you'll be happy with.

What helped me with some of my decision making was asking myself the following question:

If I invest a couple more thousand dollars on an already $50,000 plus vehicle, to avoid any buyers remorse, is it worth it?

As a result, I ended up with the car that I wanted and am still very excited about.

Good Luck!
-CoolTones
I couldn't agree more with CoolTones.

In fact, you're probably looking at around 65-70k out the door for the 550i configured as it is now sans options under consideration. What's another couple of thousand dollars for options that, in the long run, will make your level of enjoyment of the 550i far exceed the additional $$ you end up spending on some options.

Anyhow, good luck with your decision and post some pics. And, of course, welcome aboard.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

As a new 550 owner here is my 2 cents...

1. The comfort seats are incredible. In talking with two of my friends with 545s who have the sport seats, they both mentioned that getting in and out of the car with sport seats is a pain (getting over the bolster gets harder and harder as you age). So from a ease of entry and exit standpoint, they are a must have.

2. I LOVE the Comfort Access. This is the funest option on the car -but it is just that. I mean you probably are used to clicking a button to get in and out of the car as well as lock it -so the fact is, there are better places to spend $1K. Still - it is so cool

which brings me to #3

3. I really like Active Steering. I like it because I dont notice it -yet the car seems so easy to drive and going to a regular steering car is really noticable. However I've got some wandering at speeds - I'm told these are probably the run-flats. I did not however notice this in either of the 550s I drove - one had AS one did not. However I did almost all of my test drives in a non-active steering car and only one test drive in the car with it. So maybe it was AS?

Personally, I would get whatever options you want -the extra $1K will not kill you on a $65K car.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I was concerned about the Sports Seats because I never could really warm up to the seats in the M3. But at 1100 miles I would have to say I like these seats. And, yes, I too think they look better than the Comfort Seats.

I really like Comfort Access. In fact, I would really miss it if I had to go back. I always have coffee in my hand and other things when I leave the house and it is a hassle to get the key out of my pocket.

I do not have Active Steering. I suspect I would like it because I do not intend to track the car, but I do not really miss something I have not experienced except in one brief test drive last summer.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

I like my sport seats, but would love the comfortseats. I travel quite a bit, and find my hindend is a bit tired in the sport seats after 4 hours or so.

Active steering is worth every penny. I know its apples and orages, but my 545i has AS, and my wife's X5 does not. (not available...yet) Cruisin' aorund in a parking lot is effortless with AS, and its a bit more work in my wifes X5. You can sling a 4000lbs+ car as if it were a go kart. A quick flick of the finger, and any space is ok to use, no matter what direction its facing. I don't dare trying such things in the X5.

Just my .02.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

On my 2005 530i, went with Silver Gray, Gray leather and Anthracite Maple wood. Liked the wood grain of the Poplar wood trim, but it just didn't seem to go well with the gray interior.

At the time, test drove both Sport Package and non-SP cars and, while the handling of the SP-equipped car was noticeably better, just couldn't deal with the harsh ride over irregular road surfaces. In MY2005, Active Steering was not an option. It came with the Sport Package, like it or not! Myself, I prefered the heavier, Euro steering feel of the non-SP car but can understand how the quicker steering of AS at low speeds would win many fans.

As for seating, originally wanted the Comfort seats but this option wasn't available in cars already built. The standard seats in my non-SP 530i are comfortable enough and the Comfort option was probably not really necessary. I would probably feel different, however, if I had the Sport Package as others have complained about the sport seats after a long drive. Additionally, getting in and out is harder due to the additional side-bolstering.

My personal feeling on options is that considering the total cost of the car, you should not hesitate to spend a few thousand extra to get EVERYTHING that you want on it! TREAT YOURSELF..... YOU DESERVE IT!

Martin

Quick Reply: Finally, Ready to Pull the Trigger