E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, Ready to Pull the Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

After a long wait, a 550i order for Feb/Mar ED is just hours away. The must have options are Sports, Prem, NAV and CW. I've also spec'd active steering and comfort access. However, wondering about the following: 1) should active steering be ditched for the comfort seats? or 2) omit comfort access for comfort seats? Any thoughts?

Picking colors has been mind boggling. First it was silver grey, then white, and for a brief period jet black. Struggled with white for my last two cars and just couldn't do it. So again I pass and will select sil grey. Still convinced the car looks best in the lighter colors. Exterior color caused problems as I liked beige, and silv grey/beige doesn't quite match. Decided to go with grey, a color I've blasted on this site. It grew on me, not as bleak as black, and looks warm with the light poplar. My apologies to board members with grey interiors.

Thanks all E60ers for the invaluable help, and looking forward to driving the E60.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='217254' date='Dec 30 2005, 09:28 AM
After a long wait, a 550i order for Feb/Mar ED is just hours away. The must have options are Sports, Prem, NAV and CW. I've also spec'd active steering and comfort access. However, wondering about the following: 1) should active steering be ditched for the comfort seats? or 2) omit comfort access for comfort seats? Any thoughts?

Picking colors has been mind boggling. First it was silver grey, then white, and for a brief period jet black. Struggled with white for my last two cars and just couldn't do it. So again I pass and will select sil grey. Still convinced the car looks best in the lighter colors. Exterior color caused problems as I liked beige, and silv grey/beige doesn't quite match. Decided to go with grey, a color I've blasted on this site. It grew on me, not as bleak as black, and looks warm with the light poplar. My apologies to board members with grey interiors.

Thanks all E60er for the invaluable help, and looking forward to driving the E60.
I like active steering a lot, and also like the sport seats better than the comfort seats, so I'd say get AS.

I had keyless go (Mercedes version of comfort access) on my E55 and don't think it's worth $1,000. The coolness factor wears off quickly, so if you're looking to make trade offs, I'd say get AS, forget comfort access & seats.

Silver gray is a great color.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='217254' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:28 PM
Have you driven with Active Steering? I wouldn't advise buying it without trying! Personally I love it, but you may not...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Whatever you pick, I'm sure it will be just what you wanted. Good luck with your new baby when she arrives. Don't forget to post some pixs when you have a chance and don't forget to swap out those inserts for the euro red reflectors.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Congrats on your decision. I know what you are going through. I'd definately get comfort seats and comfort access. You should go and try to drive both AS and non-AS cars and get that too if you like. Also, consider this: Depending if your buying or leasing, the extra $2-4K in options won't make that much of if difference in your payment if your buying...so I say load it up!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='217259
Have you driven with Active Steering? I wouldn't advise buying it without trying! Personally I love it, but you may not...
[/quote]

If it comes down to having to choose between AS and comfort seats, I would go for comfort seats. If you know you will have to make the tradeoff, I would actually recommend not testing both AS and non-AS cars as you will never miss AS if you never try it. I love my AS but would likely go for comfort seats if forced to choose.

If you can get 2 of the options, I would ditch the comfort access in favor of comfort seats and AS as comfort access does not enhance the driving experience, which is why I bought the 5-series.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='217254' date='Dec 30 2005, 07:28 PM
However, wondering about the following: 1) should active steering be ditched for the comfort seats? or 2) omit comfort access for comfort seats? Any thoughts?

So again I pass and will select sil grey. Still convinced the car looks best in the lighter colors. Exterior color caused problems as I liked beige, and silv grey/beige doesn't quite match. Decided to go with grey, a color I've blasted on this site. It grew on me, not as bleak as black, and looks warm with the light poplar.
Get both Active Steering and Comfort Seats and do not skip Comfort Access either!

Nice choise of int and ext colors!

Congrats on a fine decision

But the wait will be long...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by stream' post='217258' date='Dec 30 2005, 01:38 PM
I like active steering a lot, and also like the sport seats better than the comfort seats, so I'd say get AS.

I had keyless go (Mercedes version of comfort access) on my E55 and don't think it's worth $1,000. The coolness factor wears off quickly, so if you're looking to make trade offs, I'd say get AS, forget comfort access & seats.

Silver gray is a great color.

Hi Stream,

Why do you prefer sports seats to comfort seats? I've never tried the comfort seats but most people here seem to like them.

Yes, silver gray is cool and your photo album is tops (especially that closeup of the front fender) on this site.

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: V8 beast!

I'd go for the AS and keep the sport seats, that's just me. I have both mentioned options and wouldn't change a thing .Congrats
Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I tried sport seats but didn't ike them, so went with comfort - with added value of the whiplash reducer on the Headrest. The squeeze that you can build into the side bolsters is tighter than the stationary ones on the sports seats. I didn't bother with comfort access - I figured I'd go back to the car too many times to check it was locked ! Also didn't want AS - I like the 'real' feel of the standard set up. I would recommend HUD though - I wouldn't do with out it now as for me the top of the steering wheel blocks my view of the top of the speedometer - and the directions with Nav are great !

Quick Reply: Finally, Ready to Pull the Trigger