E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Finally got my 545i today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 black 545i- 35k miles, sport package, logic 7 sound, active steering, navigation, 35% tint, black interior...

I had been looking for a car for about 3 months; first a 745i, then thought about an m3, then decided the 545i would be the best option. Finally found the one... a 2005 545i black sapphire with black interior. It's got about 35,000 miles on it.

It's got pretty much all the available options, now its time for some mods. What does everyone recommend I do first? intake? exhaust?

I'm in college, so money is a consideration. I'm hoping there are some slightly cheaper alternatives to Dinan, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by cggkicks' post='564431' date='Apr 19 2008, 06:51 PM
I had been looking for a car for about 3 months; first a 745i, then thought about an m3, then decided the 545i would be the best option. Finally found the one... a 2005 545i black sapphire with black interior. It's got about 35,000 miles on it.

It's got pretty much all the available options, now its time for some mods. What does everyone recommend I do first? intake? exhaust?

I'm in college, so money is a consideration. I'm hoping there are some slightly cheaper alternatives to Dinan, but maybe not.

congrats on your new car, and welcome to the forum...pics are always appreciated...

might want to post your location as well as car specs/options, it helps members (especially one's local to you) to assisst you in your decision making...

feel free to use the search option in the upper right corner to help with mod decisions also.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by cggkicks' post='564431' date='Apr 19 2008, 08:51 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your 545i! As far as mods go, are you looking to improve performance or looks?
- Intake: PM r1racer for AFE intakes. You may have to modify it to fit the 545i
- Exhaust: check out this topic.
- Sprintbooster: There was a recent group-buy on these. Can't go wrong with this mod.

Post pics of the ride... let the modding begin.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

We will have to see some pictures first before any suggestions of how to spend more of your money can be made. Those are the house rules. Just kidding.

First up...Sprint Booster. Second...wheels. From there, the list and opinions are endless. Congrats!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats. welcome and enjoy the forums. and good luck with the modding.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

Nice pick on the 545i,

I think exhaust is a good start.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Contributors

M-tech kit or rims.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Welcome to the E60 family! First, ensure your car has the latest software updates to correct some issues (tranny slam, pass air bag, etc). You still have factory warranty so be sure this is done.

Sprint Booster - there's nothing I can add that hasn't been discussed already. Search for Sprint Booster - and get it as soon as possible. For around 250 bucks, this little device will remove the throttle lag inherent in your 5er. Once you use it you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Shoes - New wheels and tires will separate you from the pack. Expensive? Perhaps. Dramatic? You bet.

Exhaust - Got a V8? Let her howl!

Body Kits/Parts/Lighting - Once you start, its hard to stop! So many options and combos to choose. So many ways to personalize!

ECU Remap - down the road once you've exhausted your modding bug and start thinking new car, get a remap done and fall in love with your car again.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Congrats on the car, they are awesome. For mods so far I have installed:

Bimmian wire mesh lower grills (got tired of pulling debris out from the nose in front of the radiator)

Replaced the silver/aluminum finish shift knob with a BMW wood & leather knob (like my E39) makes the interior look more upscale to me)

Replaced the plastic idrive knob with the aluminum M5/M6 knob

BBS LM wheels with not run flat tires (huge improvement in ride, road feel... the suspensions just works effortlessly with all the unsprung weight removed)

Quaife Limited Slip rear differential (car launches and corners much better with both wheels driving... makes car feel closer to my dearly departed M3)

For future stuff I am leaning heavily towards Dinan. I used there parts on my M3 and they really are a cut above. They just plain work with no downsides (other than the cost). You get what you pay for...

I can?t decide on body mods, I have looked at Hartge, Hamann, AC Schnitzer, BMW Mtech and Alpina. I keep changing my mind but the Hamann nose is currently in the lead.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='564470' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome and congratulations on your 545i! As far as mods go, are you looking to improve performance or looks?
- Intake: PM r1racer for AFE intakes. You may have to modify it to fit the 545i
- Exhaust: check out this topic.
- Sprintbooster: There was a recent group-buy on these. Can't go wrong with this mod.

Post pics when of the ride... let the modding begin.

nice choice between the 3 models congratulations on the new ride!!!

+1 on the sprint booster, as Ive heard good things, but for me personally I would do rims and M-Tech kit 1st so you can seperate your ride from the rest of the 545 heard!

Speed can come later!!!!

FRANK -- Im diggin the new avitar!!!! hehe

Quick Reply: Finally got my 545i today!