E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my 545i delivered but Alignment issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Finally I have my 05 545i delivered. It looks beautiful and is in excellent condition (I will post pic before I start Mods soon).
But when I test drove it I felt like there is a slihgtly pull to the right.
Do you know if the alignment check/fix will be covered under factory warranty?
Also, I plan to replace 545i orignial wheels with 166 wheels. Should I check alignment now or after I replace the wheels?

Thank you in advacne.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually alignments are not covered by warranty. But if you just got the car go back to the dealership today or at least call them and tell them you didn't really notice on the test drive but now after driving it a day or so you noticed it. Most reputable dealers should take care of it for you.

Don't swap wheels out yet. I guarntee you they'll use that as a cop out on doing a free alingment for you.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I agree don't swap wheels yet, the alignment is not cheap, it's about $150 for BMW to do it.

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='652723' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:36 AM
Usually alignments are not covered by warranty. But if you just got the car go back to the dealership today or at least call them and tell them you didn't really notice on the test drive but now after driving it a day or so you noticed it. Most reputable dealers should take care of it for you.

Don't swap wheels out yet. I guarntee you they'll use that as a cop out on doing a free alignment for you.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Members

Thanks a lot for your replies.
The car is not CPO. So I will have to pay for alignment.
My question was if the wheel swapping does matter for alignment such that I need to do the alignment after I swap the wheels?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmgg' post='653050' date='Aug 23 2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies.
The car is not CPO. So I will have to pay for alignment.
My question was if the wheel swapping does matter for alignment such that I need to do the alignment after I swap the wheels?
No you souldn't need alignment after the wheel swap (I just said to hold off on that until the alingment is done because the dealer would just use it against you). Just make sure the new wheels are properly balance. I'd recommend a road force balance. These cars can be picky on balances.

If you just literally bought this car from whatever dealer they should pick up the tab on alingment or at the very least split the cost with you. Never hurts to ask them. I doubt they'll just say its your problem if you bought the car in the last few days.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Members

Thank you, Skylolow.
I will let you know what happens next....

BMGG
Old 08-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

yeah, definitely press the issue... the worst case; they say no... "the machine that squeaks, gets the oil"
Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

*IF* you are to pay for the alignment, go with a specialty alignment shop. Believe me, they do a better job at a lower price. I've had over 6 alignments done over the course of a few BMWs at the dealership. I paid for only one of them... and everytime, they can't get it right... but a good alignment shop can get it perfect from the get go.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Members

What is your tire wear like? My tires were getting along in age and as soon as I changed them all my alignment issues went away too!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Members

All,

I had my car first serviced in BMW dealership and the alignment issue was easily fixed with Active Steering wheel reset.
It was not an alignment issue, just simply the active steering wheels.

The car looks even greater now.

Now I can start some mod... Euro Stickers, M166 wheels, rear reflectors, are the first ones.

Thank you for your advice!!

BMGG

Quick Reply: Finally got my 545i delivered but Alignment issue?