E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Finally Drove the 545i

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hi all,

Finally drove the V8 5er. OMG The car is a virtual rocketship and completely blew me away. I just cannot get over this car.

I've put off the test drive for some time because I was looking for a 545 sport in silver grey. Only one dealer in my area (Chicago) had one, which was a 04 with a black interior and fairly plain in terms of options. But, I was just interested in how it drives and how sil grey exterior looked in person.

Anyway, the salesman let me squeeze out from a tight spot on the lot and right away I liked the active steering. With some snow patches still on the lot and in the streets, I gently eased onto the road at 20 mph. After about three seconds, my senses revived and I nailed throttle wide open. I was past 60 in the blink of eye as the steptronic was flying smoothly thru the gears. In an instant it was time to jam on the brakes. The 545 is just a flat out fast car, period. There was a slight lag before you get pushed hard into the seat. The engine makes for a completely different car than the 6 cyclinder version.

The test drive saw 8 stoplights and every time I just nailed it. Speeding tickets are in the offing and found myself thinking that I could wind up jail driving the car. Anyway, the handling was fantastic as it was in the 530, and the brakes felt stronger and a bit more sensitive. Perhaps the most fun moment was nailing the throttle in the middle of turn with the rear sliding on the light snow and feeling the rear end (with authority) hook up on the dryer pavement. OMG

Well, my decision is completely made and there will be no 2005 A6 in my driveway!!! The 5er is noticeably more swift and the superior agility with the 4.5 motor is just unbeatable. The motor is smoother than the Audi's 4.2 too. As I noticed before, the seating and cockpit feel are feel better than the Audi. In fact, I felt so comfortable in the car that even the interior this time looked better the Audi. I didn't want to get out of the car!!!

In closing, 545 was much better than expected and the 100+ extra hp is worth every penny. I'm certain now that silver/grey is my favorite color and the black interior was nice too. The only items that were not great were the noticeable hum from run flats and of course the cup holders. The intial throttle lag was probably the tranny adapting and switching to DS model awakens the car. Given the speed of this car, I now realize why HUD is such a key option as alot can happen while glancing at the gauges.

Just an awesome machine and now deciding on ED or not. Hoping to have one for summer.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Awesome! Glad you liked the car. Why wait till summer? Get it now!

Hummm no wonder I dont like to buy cars off the lot... not even when theres 20 miles on it... A lot can happen in 20 miles... A lot can happen from a stop sign to the the next.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 8 2005, 12:49 AM
Awesome! Glad you liked the car. Why wait till summer? Get it now!?

Hummm no wonder I dont like to buy cars off the lot... not even when theres 20 miles on it... A lot can happen in 20 miles... A lot can happen from a stop sign to the the next.?
[snapback]76952[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, particularly with the V8. Unfortunatetly, I'll have to wait till summer. It will be agony.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 steptronic, silver gray, black, logic-7,PDC, folding rear seats, power rear shade, cold pack, 50% huper optic, comfort seats, sirius radio.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Jan 8 2005, 12:34 AM
Hi all,

Finally drove the V8 5er.? OMG? ? The car is a virtual rocketship and completely blew me away.? I just cannot get over this car.?

I've put off the test drive for some time because I was looking for a 545 sport in silver grey.? Only one dealer in my area (Chicago) had one, which was a 04 with a black interior and fairly plain in terms of options.? But, I was just interested in how it drives and how sil grey exterior looked in person.

Anyway, the salesman let me squeeze out from a tight spot on the lot and right away I liked the active steering.? With some snow patches still on the lot and in the streets, I gently eased onto the road at 20 mph.? After about three seconds, my senses revived and I nailed throttle wide open.? ? I was past 60 in the blink of eye as the steptronic was flying smoothly thru the gears.? In an instant it was time to jam on the brakes.? The 545 is just a flat out fast car, period.? There was a slight lag before you get pushed hard into the seat.? The engine makes for a completely different car than the 6 cyclinder version.?

The test drive saw 8 stoplights and every time I just nailed it.? Speeding tickets are in the offing and found myself thinking that I could wind up jail driving the car.? Anyway, the handling was fantastic as it was in the 530, and the brakes felt stronger and a bit more sensitive.? Perhaps the most fun moment was nailing the throttle in the middle of turn with the rear sliding on the light snow and feeling the rear end (with authority) hook up on the dryer pavement.? OMG

Well, my decision is completely made and there will be no 2005 A6 in my driveway!!!? The 5er is noticeably more swift and the superior agility with the 4.5 motor is just unbeatable.? The motor is smoother than the Audi's 4.2 too.? As I noticed before, the seating and cockpit feel are feel better than the Audi.? In fact, I felt so comfortable in the car that even the interior this time looked better the Audi.? I didn't want to get out of the car!!!

In closing, 545 was much better than expected and the 100+ extra hp is worth every penny.? I'm certain now that silver/grey is my favorite color and the black interior was nice too.? The only items that were not great were the noticeable hum from run flats and of course the cup holders.? The intial throttle lag was probably the tranny adapting and switching to DS model awakens the car.? Given the speed of this car, I now realize why HUD is such a key option as alot can happen while glancing at the gauges.?

Just an awesome machine and now deciding on ED or not.? Hoping to have one for summer.? ?

CVT Benhogan? ?
[snapback]76945[/snapback]

Very good choice. I had a similar experience when taking my test drive. Originally, I went to the dealer to purchase the 530, but because there were no 530's on the lot with active stering, I decided to test drive the 545. The power and the handling of the 545 blew me away, and there was no way I could go back to the 530.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Senior Members

cvtbenhogan, glad to hear you like it so much . i also have silver grey and black. extremely easy to take care .

mhgoforit, your reason was the reason why i didn't test drive 545 when i was there over eight months ago. back then the price diff between 530 and 545 is over $10,000 :'(. but my05 is "only" half of that amount . i can almost guarantee i can't go to sleep if i test drive a 545 now .
Old 01-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jan 7 2005, 11:22 PM
mhgoforit, your reason was the reason why i didn't test drive 545 when i was there over eight months ago.? back then the price diff between 530 and 545 is over $10,000 :'(.? but my05 is "only" half of that amount .? i can almost guarantee i can't go to sleep if i test drive a 545 now .
[snapback]76974[/snapback]
Dont worry its not that great... burns too much gas and isnt that fast.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Members

i know. it burns more gas than a moped and slower than a mucielago .
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jan 7 2005, 11:26 PM
i know.? it burns more gas than a moped and slower than a mucielago ? .
[snapback]76977[/snapback]
Hhaha HEY! that sounds like 99% of the cars on the road!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

Old 01-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

I had the Steptronic tranny in my 2001 540i and thought it was great, but I suggest that you test drive the E60 with a 6 speed. It gets you a little closer to the M5. For anyone who really loves to drive, it's a blast. The gear box is silky smooth. It gives you complete control of the car in all situations.

Quick Reply: Finally Drove the 545i