E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final drive differences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d E61 manual
Default Final drive differences?

I live in Norway, and my English writing is not very good. Sorry for this.

Do annyone know if the different final drives for the E60 models (engine types) and different years are mechanically similar (except for ratio)? And can be swapped directly? This means that attachments points to rear suspension are the same, flanges and distances to/on output shaft and drive shaft are the same?

I have a 2007 520d manual, and when I compare the part numbers to a 520d automatic I see that the output shaft have different part numpers, but I don't know what is the actuall difference?

Drive shaft also have different part number for manual/auto, but the difference might be in the gearbox end? Final drive end might be the same?

Do anyone know if there is other BMW-models that use the same final drives as E60/E61 that is bolt on?

Reason for the question:
I drive a lot with a caravan and a heavy trailer. On the road at speed the car works great, but during slow speed manouvering and breaking loose uphill I have to ride the clutch a lot. I live in a part of Norway with low speed limits, and I never use sixth gear. If my information is correct my manual car hva a final ratio of 2,64. 520d auto have 3,23. If my calculations are correct changing to a differential from a car with automatic gearbox give my sixth gear the same total ratio as my fifth gear have now. Conclusion: I am considering buying a used differential from a 520da and install this to get a lower first gear and reverse.

-Do you know if changing the final ratio in some way will give me problems with the car? Electronics? Speedometer takes data from ABS sensor? I guess a gear shift indicator would be confused, but I don't have one in my car.
-Do you think that this small change in ratio would help my manouvering issues in 1. gear and reverse?

Thanks for reply.