E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few small glitches e60-advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after days of driving i found 3 little glitches which is sort of annoying.
1. after switching off the enigine i can still operate the windows but NOT to close the sunroof.
am i missing out on something here?

2. i am alone most of the time in my car, the amber 'pass air bag...' lights is very distracting expecially at night.
no i refuse to use a black tape.

3. the telephone button on the steering wheel always connects directly to emergency 911, i have never called 911 so many times in my life! can it be changed to bmw assist instead?
i thought the sos button on the top panel connects to 911 only, thats why it is covered, right?

can anyone point out how these can be remedied? advice appreciated.
rollee
Old 05-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Members

Rollee

1-That's the way it is setup. Same on my car. Can be closed with key on position 2

2-Here's a simple way to eliminate this annoyance

--Shut off the car
--remove the module gently with your fingers
--unclip it from the wiring (the car must be off)
--open the module with a small screwdriver (four clips around the edges)
--Electrical tape over the LEDs (the lens cannot be easily covered)
--reassemble.

The light will be covered, and the issue goes away.

Car must be off or you will get a fault that must be reset at the dealer.

3- I don't know if you car is different from mine but try this. Go into the I drive menu like if you would have a BMW phone and would like to make a call. Manually enter a phone number ( anything BUT 911) issue the phone call. Oubiously you will have a cellular network message telling you that you are not hooked up. When you accidently hit the button on the steering wheel it should call that same phone number (last number dialed) That"s the way it works on mine anyway.

Good luck--
Old 05-30-2004, 06:30 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Re: #2, instead of black electrical tape, you can cut out a piece of camera film. This will make it next-to-invisible, but you can still make sure any passengers are safe. The solution pointed out is really the only thing we've found, and advertised, so far to remedy. I guess being short has its advantages! I don't even notice it.

Sam
Old 05-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

thank you gentlemen for the suggestions. its nice to know that i am not alone.
will try them out. don't you think these 3 glitches though minor are quite annoying?
Old 05-30-2004, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Rollee, before you do anything to the light, I'd suggest a little patience.

When I first got my car, that light bothered me big time. I'm one of those people who ALWAYS dims the instrument lights at night and I'm of the type that notices little things/distractions. That said, I think I've actually gotten so used to that air bag light that I don't even notice it anymore.

If you wait a few months and it still bothers you, then by all means go ahead and start taking things apart. You can use a little window tint film instead of black tape (the camera film might work -- I hadn't thought of that sj3). That's what I had planned on doing before I got used to it.

Another reason you might want to wait is that if BMW gets a ton of complaints, they might offer some additional fix. They already supposedly dimmed it a little bit with a software upgrade (that you and I probably already have -- man it must've been bright before that fix!) but maybe there will be some technical bulletin down the road that will allow dealers to swap the light out with some newer part if the customer brings it up as a complaint. I suppose if many of us called BMWNA and lodged a little complaint it wouldn't hurt either.

If you do choose to disable or dim it yourself, just be careful not to cause the air bag fault condition that was explained in the instructions!

Have fun!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Members

We have an early car and as sold you could read by the warning light. Comfortably. I black taped it within a few days of ownership and that was that. Since we have had our software upgraded a few weeks ago when we got the phone I think I might pull that out and see if it has been reduced in its intensity. Thats a great idea with the film, I will be trying that if it is still to bright for our tastes with the software upgrade. Gotta love these forums, a lot of knowledge over the user base.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just to add one little detail if you choose to use window tint film to dim the bulb -- no need to buy any film, just pop in to any shop that does window tinting and ask for some scraps.

They're bound to have some sitting around with varying degrees of transparency for you to try out.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

i have gotten used to the 'pass airbag light' but still wish it not there.
thanks for trhe tip on the phone, it worked although the 'new' number never gets dialed, i am now not talking to emergency by accident any longer.
today i parked next to a 'sterling grey' 7 series, i wish they offer that colour to the e60. its gorgeous!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

rollee, how are you doing? i haven't noticed the sunroof problem since i have my ac on all the time. but you can always insert your key to the door lock and turn to close all the windows, including sunroof, just in case you already step outside the car/lock the doors. then you don't have to go back in the car and turn the key to position 2.

i agree w/the passenger airbag light. it's kind of bright and it's right above the rearview mirror. it's kind of hard to ignore it or not looking at it...at least for now. however i hardly have this problem and i envy you so much <_< because you are so lucky to drive alone at night ! i'm with my girlfriend most of the time ! but one thing i want to ask is many people are talking about the software upgrade. does bmw send us letters/notices saying we need to take our cars back and have them install the most updated software?

i don't have a car phone so i can't answer or comment your last question.

now i have couple questions.

does anyone annoy by the adjustable armrest? that thing keeps sliding back and forth. i've already pushed it all the way toward the front and passed that "clicking" point but still moves. it's killing me !

every time after i turn off the engine and step out the car, i smell a slight burning smell coming from the hood. is it normal? i have the car for a week and will it go away after couple more weeks? please advise. thank you.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Well, BMW will certainly not notify their users when a new software update is available. They will only send out letters when there is a critical issue that needs immediat addressing, for which they will organize a recall action. I also read somewhere that some of the to be reprogrammed modules can only get reprogrammed something 14/15 times and then it needs to be replaced, so I guess that BMW will keep the software updates to a minimum to keep the potential number of to be replaced TCU's to a mininum (unless the customer has some valid issues with the loaded software ofcourse).

About the burning smell, I do not notice this. Maybe it are your tires that are heated up from driving the car hard? The only thing that I noticed about the engine is that the engine compartiment stays really hot for a very long time after the car has been turned off. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: a few small glitches e60-advice please