E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey everyone, i just have a couple questions about the car. I took a quick look through the manual with no luck. Any answers or comments are greatly appreciated, thanks!

1) Is the little orange light beside "P" suppose to stay on even after shifting into park, turning the car off and locking? Mine does.

2) Is is possible to display the main idrive menu in the assistant window and leaving nav on the bigger one? When driving i usually keep nav on the bigger screen, and it would be nice to have entertainment, climate etc on the small one. That way i would not have to switch back to main menu and then put nav back on again when done.

3) Is anyone experiencing a little condensation in the headlights? There is a little bit that goes and comes on my front signals, is there a leak..or is it ok?

4) Hardly any coasting? When i take my foot off the gas, there isn't much coasting, and the car slows down very fast. I have AWD, could that be just the way it is?

thanks again
cheers,
Jack
Old 08-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

1. yes
2. no unfortunately. stupid.
3. normal
4. haven't noticed this. I don't have AWD, plus my foot is usually down
Old 08-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Members

I don't have 4 wheel drive, and I still notice this car coasts far less than my last car. The reason being that these transmissions are geared for performance while many others are geared for fuel economy...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

And to add one minor detail to rodney's answer to question number 1, the orange light will go out after approximately 16 minutes. The amber LED is an indicator of whether or not the car is in sleep mode or not. (The car is sleeping when the light is out...)
Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 21 2005, 10:24 AM
And to add one minor detail to rodney's answer to question number 1, the orange light will go out after approximately 16 minutes.? The amber LED is an indicator of whether or not the car is in sleep mode or not.? (The car is sleeping when the light is out...)
[snapback]161680[/snapback]
Didn't know that! Thanx
Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

4. I think that's ok if u have an auto tranny! but with 4wd i dunno (even though i have my passat 4 motion it coasts just fine). Hey after all the car is quite heavy...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Aug 21 2005, 01:43 AM
4) Hardly any coasting? When i take my foot off the gas, there isn't much coasting, and the car slows down very fast. I have AWD, could that be just the way it is?
[snapback]161601[/snapback]
Completely Normal, Annoying but normal. I had my service dept. change the software so it coasts better now, but at the cost of no low end torque and no gut pushing acceleration anymore :thumbsdown:
Old 08-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Aug 21 2005, 10:58 AM
[quote name='jackbutler' date='Aug 21 2005, 01:43 AM']4) Hardly any coasting? When i take my foot off the gas, there isn't much coasting, and the car slows down very fast. I have AWD, could that be just the way it is?
[snapback]161601[/snapback]
Completely Normal, Annoying but normal. I had my service dept. change the software so it coasts better now, but at the cost of no low end torque and no gut pushing acceleration anymore :thumbsdown:
[snapback]161697[/snapback]
[/quote]
What's that got to do with coasting?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Members

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I can get used to the coasting but that's too bad about the nav. :thumbsdown:

But today when i got in my car, i had a check control message. I looked through the idrive menu and it said high battery drain! The message part said not to use any unnecessary electronics, and to have it checked out at my dealer. My first thought was that maybe the P light drained a lot of it but after reading these posts im not so sure. Any ideas? Is this a serious problem?

BTW i picked it up 2 days ago and this is not what i want to see.

Thanks in advanced!

cheers,
Jack

P.S. Can the headlight alignment be a little off? I seems that my right is higher than the left.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Aug 21 2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. ? I can get used to the coasting but that's too bad about the nav.? :thumbsdown:

But today when i got in my car, i had a check control message. I looked through the idrive menu and it said high battery drain! The message part said not to use any unnecessary electronics, and to have it checked out at my dealer. My first thought was that maybe the P light drained a lot of it but after reading these posts im not so sure. Any ideas? Is this a serious problem?

BTW i picked it up 2 days ago and this is not what i want to see.

Thanks in advanced!

cheers,
Jack

P.S. Can the headlight alignment be a little off? I seems that my right is higher than the left.
[snapback]161807[/snapback]

The following is what someone else sent me when I asked the same question and my dealer comfirmed it.

This is a well known problem on E60/E61, and there's a service bulletin;

SUBJECT
"High Battery Drain" Message in CID

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series) with N52 engine.

SITUATION
A check control message "High battery drain, increased battery discharging while stopped, vehicle may not start" is shown in the CID (Central Information Display) when starting the car.

Fault code 2DED "Power management, closed circuit current monitoring" is stored in the MSV70 DME (Digital Motor Electronics).

The vehicle starts every time, and there are no other symptoms of low battery problems.

CAUSE
The closed circuit current momentarily exceeds its threshold value when the TCU wakes up to perform the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" function. This should not cause a discharged battery.

CORRECTION
Do not replace parts. A solution is being developed and will be published shortly.

In case of customer complaint, check the battery and recharge if necessary.

If the battery is low, then the customer may have an additional problem causing the battery to go down. In this case, carry out additional troubleshooting to identify and correct the root cause.

Hopefully will be fixed with CIP 19, but don't hold your breath....

Quick Reply: A Few Questions