E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender/Bumper Bending Inward

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- Configuration:

Before I begin to describe my situation, I'll start by explaning my aftermarket configuration which I think has some relation to the problem: KWv2's with 20x9 ET20 wheels and 245/30/20's with 10mm H&R spacers. The KWv2's lowered the vehicle a fraction of an inch (of my previously sport suspension) and still allow you to see the top of the tire from a side view of the vehicle. There is probably a half an inch gap between the top of the tire and the fender when looking from the side.

- Story:

Two weeks ago I was doing a random examination of my vehicle when I noticed that the drivers-left side of my front factory bumper stuck out slightly (perhaps .25 inches) past the factory fender where they meet- just rear of the headlight. The bumper should be flush with the fender in that area, so I began to wonder what could be causing this. I tried pushing the bumper inward (toward the engine), in an effort to re-seat it, and was unable to do so, so then I thought to myself, "self, instead of the bumper being stuck out too far, perhaps the fender was pulled in too far". I then pulled the fender outward (away from the engine) carefully and that seemed to align the fender and bumper. Apperantly the fender was got bent inward at some point while I was driving. There was even a crack in the paint, with a small paint bubble at the point where the fender began to bend inward so I think that confirms the fender was bent. I was not hit while parked. As a note, the bumper appeared to suffer some flex as I can see some "stress lines" in the paint near where the bumper meets the fender.

Wondering what could have caused the fender to be pulled inward towards the engine, I tried to rewind my memory backward. I recalled a rubbing noise that sometimes occurrs when I encounter an abrupt transition from a flat road to incline while driving straight. After taking the wheel off, I observed that the location of the rubbing is on the front portion of the fender-liner. Apperantly only the left side of my car (which is the side with the bent fender issue) has this fender-liner rubbing issue, which I find odd since the right and left should have some symmetry, shouldn't they? Unsure whether the alignment guy has adjustments to help with this sort of thing or not. Hmm. Anyways... I then wondered if I had taken any hard turns which would have caused the tire to grab the fender and pull it inward. This hadn't happened. The fenders have good clerance when turned right and left, and we checked this many times when we calibrated the coilovers, so I think we're good here. No unusual rub in the inside of the fender lip either.

- Best Guess:

Could it be that when the tire hits the fender liner and pushes the fender liner forward with some force, the "forward pressure" on the liner would want to pull the engine and fender sides of the liner inward towards the tire along with it? Since both the engine and fender side of the fender liner are attached with screws, the weaker of the two would give and allow itself to be pulled inward, right? Either that or the fender liner would rip off of the screw or something similar, right?

- Suggestions?:

Does anybody think I'm on the right track here in figuring this out or am I missing something? Has anybody else encountered the fender-liner rubbing issue where the tire rubs on the front of the liner? If so, what did you do to resolve it? I'm thinking of just disconnecting a couple screws on the fender side of the liner as a temporary solution. Can an alignment guy help with this sort of thing or do I need to get the fender liner heat molded somehow?

Thanks all.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you should post some pics, so we can see whats goin on
you might need to roll your front fenders