E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender bender in my own driveway - BMW horn dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

My son unexpectedly arrived in our driveway, stopped the engine of his E36, removed the key and was about to open the door when he noticed that my wife had just started backing up. Desperately trying to honk the horn which stayed mute and the next thing I heard inside the house was a loud thud. Fortunately nobody got hurt. When my son tried to explain that his horn did not work I thought that he might have been negligent in keeping his bimmer properly maintained and to prove a point I went inside the garage, opened the door to my E60 and pushed down on the horn ring and ... nothing!

If this is a BMW feature, I surely can be without it. There are are a number of scenarios coming to mind where a dead horn, especially with somebody in the car, could be dangerous. I tried a few non BMWs and all kept their horn alive at all times.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Oh man, sucks to hear... your wife sounds like she needs to relearn driving. Who doesn't look back when they back up?!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

On BMWs with ignition off, horn is dead.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch that does suck. Just a few weeks ago a neighbor got the attention of someone in the parking garage that would not have otherwise noticed her during a medical emergency she was having by pressing on the horn. The car was turned off to the best of my knowledge. Seems like a feature you'd always want available.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Contributors

I don't recall any "European" car I've ever owned since 1990 (Audi, VW, Mercedes) keeping the horn circuit "live" after the ignition was turned off. BTW, I owned some of those since the '70's but can't remember if their horns worked after I turned the car(s) off. If I knew this question would come up in 2011 I would have taken notes .

That said, as previously noted, I too have "automatically" backed up only to be surprised that someone had pulled in behind me between the time I started the car and checked my mirrors ... At least it wasn't a pedestrian and it sounds like there was more embarrassment than damage this time.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I don't recall any "European" car I've ever owned since 1990 (Audi, VW, Mercedes) keeping the horn circuit "live" after the ignition was turned off. BTW, I owned some of those since the '70's but can't remember if their horns worked after I turned the car(s) off. If I knew this question would come up in 2011 I would have taken notes .

That said, as previously noted, I too have "automatically" backed up only to be surprised that someone had pulled in behind me between the time I started the car and checked my mirrors ... At least it wasn't a pedestrian and it sounds like there was more embarrassment than damage this time.
The damage estimate on the BMW is $2,500 and for our daughter's Civic (which my wife was repositioning in the driveway) about $1,000.
I still have not gotten one good reason for not keeping the horn hot on European cars.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Oh man, sucks to hear... your wife sounds like she needs to relearn driving. Who doesn't look back when they back up?!
+1 lol
Old 12-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baveagle
The damage estimate on the BMW is $2,500 and for our daughter's Civic (which my wife was repositioning in the driveway) about $1,000.
I still have not gotten one good reason for not keeping the horn hot on European cars.
Sorry, I can't give you one ... perhaps it's a country-specific regulation on that side of the pond. I do seem to recall a situation a long long long time ago when I tried to use the horn to get someone's attention - only to find out that with the ignition off = NO HORN!

And WOW -- sounds like even a horn wouldn't have been tooted in time to prevent your wife's catastrophic crash - Darn good thing it wasn't a (hornless) child she backed into.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

merry xmas
Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I am wondering if your wife had the music blasting. I can't imagine your son wouldn't be screaming "MOM MOM MOM STOP STOP STOP!" if she had the time to open her door and tried to press the horn. I probably would've ran up to the car and tried to get attention instead.

Also, I am slightly confused. In the first post you said son, but you just said your daughter's Civic? Son was driving daughter's car... or you got your "story" mixed up?

Quick Reply: Fender bender in my own driveway - BMW horn dead