E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Felt like a b*tch in my 5 tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: No mods

So I was went to the gym tonight as usual. When I left and went to my car, I was like wtf!! The remote from the key didn't unlock the car. So I stood there for 5 mins pressing on the stupid buttons, but the car still didnt unlock. I decided then to open it manually through the key holes, got in and tried to start the car. The car didnt start. No dingy sound. . WTF! So I kept trying to start the ignition but no luck. I thought it was the battery, but it wasn't. I turned on the radio, and music was playing. Then I knew what had happen.. the stupid battery died in the key or the chip in the key is f*cked up (i dropped some dumbbells on it a couple of times). lol.

long story short, I had to call my parents who had to give the spare to my neighbor to give it to me at the gym. The funny thing was I was standing next to my 5 and ppl thought I was trying to break into it
Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Hmm... that doesn't sound right. From what I have heard every time you insert the key into the ignition the key fob gets recharged. Have the key fob looked at by the dealership.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

So whos the dumbbell now? HAHAHHA J/K

Ya its a rechargable key but doesnt mean the battery cant die. but from teh sounds of it. I think he might have broke it when he dropped the dumbbells on it. Loosened the RF chip thats in it.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

hmm. I go talk with the SA. Hopefully I can bs something and they can fix my key. What sucks is I have to set up all my radio stations and play around with my L7 to get it was like before. thx E
Old 03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

HAHhaHAHhA LOL AW

Too bad i left early, otherwise i would have drove you back to go get it. If it makes you feel any better, one time I was using my old mercedes key to open up this stupid wax can. It broke in half and I had no other spares, so I had to order new ones and my car was stuck in front of my friends house for like 2 weeks.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Contributors

I was at the gym one time and was trying to finish up before they closed. After my set, I threw the barbell to the ground and of course it landed right on my key which snapped the metal part right in half. This was a key to an older BMW with no alarm.

I would of called someone to bring the spare, but I remembered that the only spare key was actually in the car. Don't ask.

I remember super-gluing the metal parts of the key together and leaving it overnight. The next day, the key seemed pretty solid, but when I got back to the car, I was worried it might break in the actual key hole. So I inserted the key and somewhat nervously gave it a turn. Well the door opened just fine and as I carefully removed the key, the metal part of the key broke off and fell to the ground.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

The battery has nothing to do with the RFID chip in the key. The chip is passive and you should be able to start the car regardless of the status of the battery. If the battery is dead you just can't use the remote functions like opening / closing. I have comfort access and the fob has a regular button cell in it instead of a rechargable battery. When I took delivery in Munich I asked the rep if the key still works when the battery goes down and he said yes, except for the remote functions.

If the car won't start the RFID chip is most likely damaged, which can be $$$. Good luck with the SA and be careful with the dumbbells next time!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Felix' post='400973' date='Mar 9 2007, 09:06 PM
The battery has nothing to do with the RFID chip in the key. The chip is passive and you should be able to start the car regardless of the status of the battery. If the battery is dead you just can't use the remote functions like opening / closing. I have comfort access and the fob has a regular button cell in it instead of a rechargable battery. When I took delivery in Munich I asked the rep if the key still works when the battery goes down and he said yes, except for the remote functions.

If the car won't start the RFID chip is most likely damaged, which can be $$$. Good luck with the SA and be careful with the dumbbells next time!

I have comfort access and keep the key in my pocket. Does that mean my key never charges and is on borrowed time?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributors

The comfort access fobs are not rechargeable so the batteries will eventually have to be replaced.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='400978' date='Mar 9 2007, 09:23 PM
The comfort access fobs are not rechargeable so the batteries will eventually have to be replaced.
Thanks... The more I live with comfort access, the more I find it a waste of money. I spend more time searching for the key when it is time to get out and lock the car. It is always somewhere different, except in the steering column where it belongs. I refuse to put it there, just because I spent a 1000 bucks so I would not need to.

Quick Reply: Felt like a b*tch in my 5 tonight