E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Features I wish my car had

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A better navigation system. The new iDrive is most likely way better, but it stills needs a few gimmicks.

For instance: You're driving 700 km's during a weekend, and the fuel warning goes on. The nav system should then display your preferred petrol stations ALONG your route. Also if the nav system isn't active it should display the nearest preferred petrol station. I don't care about all the different petrol stations, since I can only refill at Shell (company card).
Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

Originally Posted by slipper' post='843070' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:42 PM
1. When we press and hold the unlock button on the key fob for long enough, the window opens. This feature is hardly useful, because you cannot undo it!. If we could close the window from outside by pressing the lock button long enough, then it is much more useful! Is there a possibility to hack into the car computer and change some software to do this?

2. The door should lock when starts driving (just like a normal car) and automatically unlock when shift into park.

3. In the trunk on both corner there should be a storage space or at least a pit, instead of a bulge! I can hardly understand the thinking behind this design.

4. In idrive radio display with RDS on, there should be a display of channel frequency together with RDS. Because the channel order is alphabetic you never know which station you are listening when RDS is on. This is not fixed with the new software in 08 model.

Any comments?

it's so strange, but i've got all this in my e60... had point 1 above since e46!, point 2 is adjustable in idrive vehicle settings, and items 3 and 4 exist!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Members

How can you tell if you have RDS on - on my previous cars with RDS the time used to autoSet - but my 530I E60 i have to set the clock everytime we have a time change (GMT and BST)
Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

automatic bright lights...meaning that you can put the brights on auto and they go from hi to low automatically. My '08 Jeep has them and it's the cats meow!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='844138' date='Apr 11 2009, 01:19 PM
I manually turn my PDC on when at stop lights from time-to-time when I think that someone is too close to me... What I find interesting lately, when I find thst someone has been too close, I've notice their car to be MB's..... hmmmmm.... makes you think...
Envy is an ugly thing!!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='844138' date='Apr 11 2009, 04:19 PM
I manually turn my PDC on when at stop lights from time-to-time when I think that someone is too close to me... What I find interesting lately, when I find thst someone has been too close, I've notice their car to be MB's..... hmmmmm.... makes you think...
and your point is....?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

1. When we press and hold the unlock button on the key fob for long enough, the window opens. This feature is hardly useful, because you cannot undo it!. If we could close the window from outside by pressing the lock button long enough, then it is much more useful! Is there a possibility to hack into the car computer and change some software to do this?
This is a "feature" in the US. Here in Europe, i can just close the windows from the keyfob.
I can even start the ventilation and heating function from my remote (separate remote).

2. The door should lock when starts driving (just like a normal car) and automatically unlock when shift into park.
It does that, except it unlocks when you turn off the car instead of shift it into park (which makes sense). I think you need to enable this in iDrive.

3. In the trunk on both corner there should be a storage space or at least a pit, instead of a bulge! I can hardly understand the thinking behind this design.
The bulges make sense, because all your cars computers are behind them. There are storage pits in the floor however.

4. In idrive radio display with RDS on, there should be a display of channel frequency together with RDS. Because the channel order is alphabetic you never know which station you are listening when RDS is on. This is not fixed with the new software in 08 model.
I always leave the radio in "manual" mode in which you can see both the RDS display and the channel frequency.

Every feature you ask for is there, just not in the US
Old 04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Members

anyone got a picture of the rds display i use my 530i and leave it on FM
But my clock never updates and I dont get any more info expcet station name
mines is a UK spec car
Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='846702' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:29 AM
This is a "feature" in the US. Here in Europe, i can just close the windows from the keyfob.
I can even start the ventilation and heating function from my remote (separate remote).

It does that, except it unlocks when you turn off the car instead of shift it into park (which makes sense). I think you need to enable this in iDrive.

The bulges make sense, because all your cars computers are behind them. There are storage pits in the floor however.

I always leave the radio in "manual" mode in which you can see both the RDS display and the channel frequency.

Every feature you ask for is there, just not in the US
Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='846006' date='Apr 13 2009, 04:26 PM
automatic bright lights...meaning that you can put the brights on auto and they go from hi to low automatically. My '08 Jeep has them and it's the cats meow!
That feature is currently available on the E60. It is called the high-beam assistant:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/5ser..._assistent.html