E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Features I wish my car had

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550, Sport/Navi/etceteraetcetera

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='843503' date='Apr 10 2009, 05:49 PM
It gets really hot here in Orlando, and something that I do from time-to-time, is to set a tiimer to start blowing air into the cabin @15 mins before I plan to leave work. It helps to relieve some of the hot air without having to roll the windows down when walking to the car in the parking lot. Of course it's not a perfect solution, but iDrive does provide the capability and I like to use it.
How would one do that? I don't recall that option in iDrive. Which menu?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 5351 Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sirius, Sport Package

Originally Posted by rick circeo' post='843561' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:56 PM
How would one do that? I don't recall that option in iDrive. Which menu?
Yep, it's in the iDrive menu I believe under Climate or something like that. It only works once. For example, if you set it for 5pm, it will come on for 15 minutes at 5pm today, but that's it. Makes sense...otherwise it could run the battery down if not driven in between. When the timer feature is set, there is a small fan indicator that lights red beneath the fan control on the panel. That lets you know it has been set to come on.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Some replies:
1. European cars get to put the windows up from the key fob. US models have to use the key in the lock cylinder. It might be possible to program US models but no dealer wants to be liable if soneones fingers get caught when you put up the windows remotely.
2. Yes, set auto locking in iDrive. There's no auto-unlocking in US models.

BTW, for venting the car, look for "Parked Car Operation" in the climate section of iDrive. I use it in the summer too.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 550, Sport/Navi/etceteraetcetera

Originally Posted by markd2' post='843566' date='Apr 10 2009, 07:12 PM
Yep, it's in the iDrive menu I believe under Climate or something like that. It only works once. For example, if you set it for 5pm, it will come on for 15 minutes at 5pm today, but that's it. Makes sense...otherwise it could run the battery down if not driven in between. When the timer feature is set, there is a small fan indicator that lights red beneath the fan control on the panel. That lets you know it has been set to come on.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by markd2' post='843566' date='Apr 10 2009, 07:12 PM
On mine, I have 2 timers (Timer 1 and Timer 2) that gives me a range to choose from.. MY 06 550i...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by markd2' post='843566' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:12 PM
I just found this the other day too. Climate, Parked Car Operations...that's close, anyway. I tried it out just to see if it worked, and the fan was running when I came out after work . I think it actually runs for 30 minutes though, and they recommend that you not use it unless you are going to drive far enough to recharge your battery afterwards.

Can't wait to see what neat stuff I can find to do with my car tomorrow!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='843614' date='Apr 10 2009, 08:31 PM
I just found this the other day too. Climate, Parked Car Operations...that's close, anyway. I tried it out just to see if it worked, and the fan was running when I came out after work . I think it actually runs for 30 minutes though, and they recommend that you not use it unless you are going to drive far enough to recharge your battery afterwards.

Can't wait to see what neat stuff I can find to do with my car tomorrow!
Now that's a great attitude!!! Learn as much as you can; this is the kind of vehicle that keeps you learning new and exciting things!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Hmmmm. Features I wish my car had:

1. M5 engine

2. M5 exhaust

3. M5 transmission

4. M5 wheels and tires.

Seriously, getting out of fantasy land, I wish mine had Comfort Access -- the one option I wanted that was not easy to find in a leftover 2009 550i Sport with Logic 7 in a color that I would accept.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Members

Us UK guys can lock our windows while holding the Lock Button on the fob - also folds my wing mirrors in.
Pressing the unlock button and holding it unlocks teh door, opens the wing mirror and also opens all the windows (remember im saying hold unlock|)

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='843653' date='Apr 11 2009, 02:12 AM
Hmmmm. Features I wish my car had:

1. M5 engine

2. M5 exhaust

3. M5 transmission

4. M5 wheels and tires.

Seriously, getting out of fantasy land, I wish mine had Comfort Access -- the one option I wanted that was not easy to find in a leftover 2009 550i Sport with Logic 7 in a color that I would accept.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I'm rapidly geting to the point where I would like a rocket launcher in my car to "take care" of all the idiots on the road who take everyone elses lives in their hands so they can drive like maniacs! That and all the M5 stuff posted above!!

Quick Reply: Features I wish my car had