E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Features I wish my car had

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

1. When we press and hold the unlock button on the key fob for long enough, the window opens. This feature is hardly useful, because you cannot undo it!. If we could close the window from outside by pressing the lock button long enough, then it is much more useful! Is there a possibility to hack into the car computer and change some software to do this?

2. The door should lock when starts driving (just like a normal car) and automatically unlock when shift into park.

3. In the trunk on both corner there should be a storage space or at least a pit, instead of a bulge! I can hardly understand the thinking behind this design.

4. In idrive radio display with RDS on, there should be a display of channel frequency together with RDS. Because the channel order is alphabetic you never know which station you are listening when RDS is on. This is not fixed with the new software in 08 model.

Any comments?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i - Platinum Gray Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Ipod/USB | Sat Radio | HD Radio

Originally Posted by slipper' post='843070' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:42 PM
1. When we press and hold the unlock button on the key fob for long enough, the window opens. This feature is hardly useful, because you cannot undo it!. If we could close the window from outside by pressing the lock button long enough, then it is much more useful! Is there a possibility to hack into the car computer and change some software to do this?
They kind of fixed this, but only if you opt to get the comfort access feature in the US... Basically, if you hold your hand on the driver's side key slot... then the car will close all the windows and close the sunroof.

But I agree... The key should be able to close all windows & sunroof.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by rkinra' post='843079
2. The door should lock when starts driving (just like a normal car) and automatically unlock when shift into park.

4. In idrive radio display with RDS on, there should be a display of channel frequency together with RDS. Because the channel order is alphabetic you never know which station you are listening when RDS is on. This is not fixed with the new software in 08 model.

Any comments?
Comments for
2 - In EU spec car (at least, not sure about US spec) it will unlock automatically when the key is removed. I think the BMW logic is that if you want the automatic locking then you don't want the automatic unlocking just after the Park but when you are sure you want to leave the car. This doesn't bother me as if I am leaving the car then I will take my key with me and if I am waiting for someone then I will open the doors when they are approaching the car.

4 - Again something where BMW maybe follows the European way, I am not totally sure but it might be quite common that here the radio stations broadcast their station name via RDS so many of us do not actually remember the frequencies. I don't need the frequency at all, just the radio station name.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Members

For point number 1:
This is a nice feature to have. It is hot outside...hotter in the car, just hold down the button and release all of the air stuck in the car before you get there instead of having it blast on you when you open the door. Once you are in the car, hit the window button to roll up the windows. If you are out of the car, put the key in the drivers side door lock and turn to lock the car and hold it. All windows and sunroofs close up in about 15 seconds.

For point number 2:
My doors automatically lock when I start driving. I believe this is an option to turn on within Idrive

For point number 3:
I have a wagon. On both sides, they pop out and have a space there to keep things. On the left side: tools, oil, and rags. On the right side: jumper cables first aid kit....you can always keep stuff where the spare tire is located.

For point number 4:
You can see what channel you are on with RDS within Idrive. Just change the view of the radio to all stations. You should see an old school analog with lines and all radio stations numbers when you turn the Idrive wheel. It will show both radio station name, song and the number of the station.

Hope this helps...what type of car do you have?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by slipper' post='843070' date='Apr 10 2009, 09:42 AM
I believe there is a function in iDrive to have the doors auto lock when you start driving. I remember I had it on initially when I got my car, but decided to turn it off. I don't recall it auto unlocking when you shift to park though...
Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by slipper' post='843070' date='Apr 10 2009, 07:42 PM

3. In the trunk on both corner there should be a storage space or at least a pit, instead of a bulge! I can hardly understand the thinking behind this design.

Any comments?
1. Useful, it works the opposite when pressing lock.

2. It does lock if so programmed from the iDrive. The door opens as normal.

3. I have the best storage space underneath in the trunk. See pic.

4. I think the whole radio programming is way too complicated.
Attached Thumbnails Features I wish my car had-ygu_16_trunk.jpg  
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

in the uk when u press lock it shuts the windows
Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by russdx' post='843114' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:13 PM
+1
Works on mine.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

For point number 1:
This is a nice feature to have. It is hot outside...hotter in the car, just hold down the button and release all of the air stuck in the car before you get there instead of having it blast on you when you open the door.
It gets really hot here in Orlando, and something that I do from time-to-time, is to set a tiimer to start blowing air into the cabin @15 mins before I plan to leave work. It helps to relieve some of the hot air without having to roll the windows down when walking to the car in the parking lot. Of course it's not a perfect solution, but iDrive does provide the capability and I like to use it.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Originally Posted by russdx' post='843114' date='Apr 10 2009, 09:13 AM

What? I need this feature!

Quick Reply: Features I wish my car had