E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Faulty transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

hi guys, I'm going to try my best to explain what's going on with my car.

Two things:

First, I've noticed that when I slightly accelerate my rpm gauge doesn't seem to move up, as soon as I step on the gas pedal a bit harder it starts to move up. I know for a fact that this insnt normal since I've had a 3 series before this car that didn't do that. I know its not a big deal but it bothers me since I know its not supposed to do that. Is there a fix for this? What could it be?

Also, when driving at normal speed while holding my foot on the pedal it seems like the car jerks back, almost like its trying to shift itself down for no reason. Keep in mind that I'm in normal D mode. Any ideas?

I'm going to take it to the dealer to have it looked at but I'm afraid my dealer will want to see the problem happen and the thing is it doesn't do it everytime.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Silver/Grey E60
Unhappy

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='559098' date='Apr 10 2008, 08:28 AM
hi guys, I'm going to try my best to explain what's going on with my car.

Two things:

First, I've noticed that when I slightly accelerate my rpm gauge doesn't seem to move up, as soon as I step on the gas pedal a bit harder it starts to move up. I know for a fact that this insnt normal since I've had a 3 series before this car that didn't do that. I know its not a big deal but it bothers me since I know its not supposed to do that. Is there a fix for this? What could it be?

Also, when driving at normal speed while holding my foot on the pedal it seems like the car jerks back, almost like its trying to shift itself down for no reason. Keep in mind that I'm in normal D mode. Any ideas?

I'm going to take it to the dealer to have it looked at but I'm afraid my dealer will want to see the problem happen and the thing is it doesn't do it everytime.
I had the same problems with my 04 525i. I took it to the dealer several times after getting a "Transmission Failsafe" warning on my idrive. The 3rd time I took it to the dealer they switched out the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION. Don't let them tell you that there is nothing wrong with your car. Mine only had 39k miles when it needed a new tranny. It seems to drive better than before with no jerking, but the acceleration is still slow from first gear. I think that this is normal for the e60 and is the reason why people purchase the SprintBooster. Please let me know what happens with your E60.

Maybe people some members can chime in on the acceleration issue.....

CT
Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='559117' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:23 PM
I had the same problems with my 04 525i. I took it to the dealer several times after getting a "Transmission Failsafe" warning on my idrive. The 3rd time I took it to the dealer they switched out the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION. Don't let them tell you that there is nothing wrong with your car. Mine only had 39k miles when it needed a new tranny. It seems to drive better than before with no jerking, but the acceleration is still slow from first gear. I think that this is normal for the e60 and is the reason why people purchase the SprintBooster. Please let me know what happens with your E60.

Maybe people some members can chime in on the acceleration issue.....

CT
interesting, how did you convince them to swap out the tranny? I don't have a warning on my idrive yet and like I said it doesn't always do it so it might be a challenge for me to prove to them that its doing it.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='559164' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:44 AM
interesting, how did you convince them to swap out the tranny? I don't have a warning on my idrive yet and like I said it doesn't always do it so it might be a challenge for me to prove to them that its doing it.
Well since I had taken the car in 2 other times and there was a history of IDrive warnings... Im sure the service advisor thought it would be best to end the problem by swapping out the tranny. If you are pushy enough with the service advsor and explain to him/her that you will continue to bring the car back unitl you are satified they will probably recommend a swap. BMW has to approve the job since its about a 7k deal. If your dealer is customer friendly they'll probably swap it out... it a matter of how far you are willing to go with this problem.

Remember if all else fails... explain to them that you will go to the sale floor and loudly complain about how bad your BMW is and how the service department refuses to fix your problem. HAHA. Just kidding.. or maybe im not!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='559366' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:25 PM
Well since I had taken the car in 2 other times and there was a history of IDrive warnings... Im sure the service advisor thought it would be best to end the problem by swapping out the tranny. If you are pushy enough with the service advsor and explain to him/her that you will continue to bring the car back unitl you are satified they will probably recommend a swap. BMW has to approve the job since its about a 7k deal. If your dealer is customer friendly they'll probably swap it out... it a matter of how far you are willing to go with this problem.

Remember if all else fails... explain to them that you will go to the sale floor and loudly complain about how bad your BMW is and how the service department refuses to fix your problem. HAHA. Just kidding.. or maybe im not!
i see, well the thing is im not getting any idrive warnings so im basically going to have to physically go on a drive with them and hope it does it while they are in the car with me. i mean my goal here is not to get a new tranny but to just have this little annoying problem go away, and if that means new tranny then fine you know what i mean? well ill give them a visit sometime next week and hope for the best. and trust me i will not just let this problem fade away since i have almost 48k miles which mean i only have another 2k to get everything fixed.

thanks for all your help man, ill keep you posted.