E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Faulty maximum revv indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Touring MY2004, executive line, shadowline, comfortline II, leather, aux.input, heated seats, bluetooth, auto dimming interior mirror, steptronic 6 speed, removable hitch

As I was reading some old topics, I found a topic about the hidden menu (not the navi one, it doesn't work for me).
I did the trick and it worked !
At last I can see the actual cooling water temperature of the engine (menu item 7).

After that I was curious about the maximum revving indicator... is it a calculated output of cooling water and oil temperature (THAT would be the only good indication) or would it just be linked to the cooling water temperature ....

Well... a bit disappointing, but it seems completely related with the cooling water temperature only.
But, something very disturbing is that the indicator goes to maximum revving at a cooling water temperature of 75 degr. Celc. !!!! (every time again)
After that the cooling water heats up to a normal 90 to 92 degr. Celc.

So, the car gives you a ?you can use me sign? at a point that the cooling water and engine oil is not at a normal operating temperature and thus by revving the engine at that point will give you above normal wear an tear of this engine.....
Old 04-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:03 PM
As I was reading some old topics, I found a topic about the hidden menu (not the navi one, it doesn't work for me).
I did the trick and it worked !?
At last I can see the actual cooling water temperature of the engine (menu item 7).

After that I was curious about the maximum revving indicator... is it a calculated output of cooling water and oil temperature (THAT would be the only good indication) or would it just be linked to the cooling water temperature ....

Well... a bit disappointing, but it seems completely related with the cooling water temperature only.
But, something very disturbing is that the indicator goes to maximum revving at a cooling water temperature of 75 degr. Celc. !!!!? (every time again)

So, the car gives you a ?you can use me sign? at a point that the cooling water and engine oil is not at a normal operating temperature and thus by revving the engine at that point will give you above normal wear an tear of this engine.....?
[snapback]113420[/snapback]
Hans,

I'm confused - How do you get into the hidden menus?

Rgds

MTD
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

The old Temperature indicaot also showed full for a range of temperatures.

The minimum and maximum temperature range where the engine can be fully reved is quite wide, they try to get the "normal" temerature in the middle of this range, but its safe in the entire rage
Old 04-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d Touring MY2004, executive line, shadowline, comfortline II, leather, aux.input, heated seats, bluetooth, auto dimming interior mirror, steptronic 6 speed, removable hitch

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:48 PM
The old Temperature indicaot also showed full for a range of temperatures.

The minimum and maximum temperature range where the engine can be fully reved is quite wide, they try to get the "normal" temerature in the middle of this range, but its safe in the entire rage
[snapback]113426[/snapback]
Yes, I know that the old temp gauge was ?software driven?, so that owners would not be alerted by a temperary higher temperature (it would stuck on for example 90 degr.C.).
But with this new revving indicator the oil is definitively not on its optimal operating temperature.
At this point I don?t think there will be major wear and tear but it will be there.

They could have made it better with just a bit more enginering.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:21 PM
[quote name='Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:03 PM']As I was reading some old topics, I found a topic about the hidden menu (not the navi one, it doesn't work for me).

But, something very disturbing is that the indicator goes to maximum revving at a cooling water temperature of 75 degr. Celc. !!!!? (every time again)

So, the car gives you a ?you can use me sign? at a point that the cooling water and engine oil is not at a normal operating temperature and thus by revving the engine at that point will give you above normal wear an tear of this engine.....??
Hans,

Rgds

MTD
[snapback]113422[/snapback]
[/quote]

push the zero button for the ?day kilometre counter?
turn the start key to position 1
as soon as the upper display shows something release the zero button
by shortly pushing the zero button go to item 17 (I think)
wait for a brief moment and a code entry is required
the code is the sum of the last 5 digits of your car?s serial number
the menu is now open )till you take the key out.

Have fun
Old 04-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 03:25 PM
[quote name='E60Speed' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:48 PM']The old Temperature indicaot also showed full for a range of temperatures.

[snapback]113426[/snapback]
Yes, I know that the old temp gauge was ?software driven?, so that owners would not be alerted by a temperary higher temperature (it would stuck on for example 90 degr.C.).
But with this new revving indicator the oil is definitively not on its optimal operating temperature.
At this point I don?t think there will be major wear and tear but it will be there.

They could have made it better with just a bit more enginering.
[snapback]113440[/snapback]
[/quote]

The only ones that have ever used the oil temp are the M models

I would of liked a I drive menu with all the temps shown, and battery voltage and charging amps ect ect
Old 04-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 03:36 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 9 2005, 09:21 PM'][quote name='Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:03 PM']As I was reading some old topics, I found a topic about the hidden menu (not the navi one, it doesn't work for me).

So, the car gives you a ?you can use me sign? at a point that the cooling water and engine oil is not at a normal operating temperature and thus by revving the engine at that point will give you above normal wear an tear of this engine.....??
Hans,

Rgds

MTD
[snapback]113422[/snapback]
[/quote]

push the zero button for the ?day kilometre counter?
turn the start key to position 1
as soon as the upper display shows something release the zero button
by shortly pushing the zero button go to item 17 (I think)
wait for a brief moment and a code entry is required
the code is the sum of the last 5 digits of your car?s serial number
the menu is now open )till you take the key out.

Have fun
[snapback]113448[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks Hans I'll give it a whirl