E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it was a brief affair, but I had my 550i SMG for about 2 months before trading it in last night. Long story short, the SMG drove me completely insane in so many ways. I'm a dedicated stick fan and my experience with autos has not been so great, so I figured SMG - great - essentially a stick, but the wife can drive it!

Yeah...except it shifted far slower than I could shift a stick, plus it was rougher than a manual shifter AND the throttle responsiveness of the engine/car was abysmal (arguably a different topic, but yet another reason I traded it in)/

I had the 550i in for a rattly BC button and in the meantime got a chance to drive a Z4 Steptronic for 4 days, in which time I fell in love with the Step.

The Steptronic with paddle shifters is what the SMG should have been, pure and simple. It is TOTALLY clear to me why they stopped selling the SMG while they offer the Steptronic - it shifts faster and smoother and is more responsive than the SMG. It's not even close. It blows the SMG out of the water. And this is coming from a life-long manual trans lover and life-long automatic trans hater.

Anyhow, I'm loving the 2007 335i I picked up. Throttle responsiveness is far better, acceleration is better (believe it or not), and the Steptronic is great. Even the seats are more bucket-ed than the 5's, which I tended to slide around in a bit.

So Farewell 5 series...off to the 3 series boards I go. It was nice knowing you guys for the (very) brief time I did :-)
Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Members

Best of luck with the new ride...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

glad my 545i has the 6 speed steptronic
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Contributors

IS THIS A QUIT POST? lewl.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by lawnboy
glad my 545i has the 6 speed steptronic
ditto
Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rackley
Well it was a brief affair, but I had my 550i SMG for about 2 months before trading it in last night. Long story short, the SMG drove me completely insane in so many ways. I'm a dedicated stick fan and my experience with autos has not been so great, so I figured SMG - great - essentially a stick, but the wife can drive it!

Yeah...except it shifted far slower than I could shift a stick, plus it was rougher than a manual shifter AND the throttle responsiveness of the engine/car was abysmal (arguably a different topic, but yet another reason I traded it in)/

I had the 550i in for a rattly BC button and in the meantime got a chance to drive a Z4 Steptronic for 4 days, in which time I fell in love with the Step.

The Steptronic with paddle shifters is what the SMG should have been, pure and simple. It is TOTALLY clear to me why they stopped selling the SMG while they offer the Steptronic - it shifts faster and smoother and is more responsive than the SMG. It's not even close. It blows the SMG out of the water. And this is coming from a life-long manual trans lover and life-long automatic trans hater.

Anyhow, I'm loving the 2007 335i I picked up. Throttle responsiveness is far better, acceleration is better (believe it or not), and the Steptronic is great. Even the seats are more bucket-ed than the 5's, which I tended to slide around in a bit.

So Farewell 5 series...off to the 3 series boards I go. It was nice knowing you guys for the (very) brief time I did :-)
Can I have your stuff?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 550I Black

I did get your experience... My 550i beats the pants off of 535 and 335 left and right... Not even close!!