E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fan won't shut off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.
Thumbs up

Tonight when I stopped the car the ventilation fan wouldn't stop from high speed- Started teh car back up and took it off of AUTO, but even with fan dial at OFF position still stuck running flat out. I thought maybe it was a timed operation for some reason so waited 10 minutes... But I became convinced it would run all night at high speed and either drain teh battery or ruin the fan. So, I removed fuse #3 which stopped the fan and I'll try again in teh morning...

Needless to say- tough break on a holiday weekend. Is this a known problem? Car had only 550 miles!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by TAJARO' post='288603' date='May 27 2006, 11:03 PM
Tonight when I stopped the car the ventilation fan wouldn't stop from high speed- Started the car back up and took it off of AUTO, but even with fan dial at OFF position still stuck running flat out. I thought maybe it was a timed operation for some reason so waited 10 minutes... But I became convinced it would run all night at high speed and either drain the battery or ruin the fan. So, I removed fuse #3 which stopped the fan and I'll try again in the morning...

Needless to say- tough break on a holiday weekend. Is this a known problem? Car had only 550 miles!

There's probably some law about replying to your own posts... But since no one else did.

When I used the car this morning at 8am I reinstalled the fuse, and voila... all is perfect again! (or at least until the bugs decide to come out again).

Everything seems fine right now... Happy Mem Day to the Yanks.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Are you meaning the engine fan or the interior AC fan?

If its the interior fan, it could be that you have set it in I drive to come on at a certain time of the day to cool off your cars interior by accident? just a thought...
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='288959' date='May 28 2006, 06:13 PM
Are you meaning the engine fan or the interior AC fan?

If its the interior fan, it could be that you have set it in I drive to come on at a certain time of the day to cool off your cars interior by accident? just a thought...
Thanks for replying. It's not the engine cooling fan but the interior ventilation fan. I don't think it's connected to the two programmable cyles for ventilation (I use them frequently to cool the car before I quit work). Maybe my computer just got confused and a "hard start" brought it back... But I'll let you know if it returns.

Cheers-
Old 05-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

I had the same problem last week. I was a mile from the dealership, so I went over there to have them take a look. They were scratching their heads.
Service tech said it is a bug in the i-drive and the fix will be available sometime in mid-june. He said the car has a battery drain protection system that will shut off anything that is still on after 19 minutes (radio, interior lights that have been left on). We let the car sit, and the ventilation system finally shut off. What a great feature for a $60K car :thumbsdown: .