E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fan Whine Noise and Hummm - Dealer says 'sorry'?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Well equipped. Let the mods begin!

Well, after putting-up with a high-pitched whine that fluctuates with RPM for 3 months I finally got both the SA and the head mechanic at my dealer to take a ride. They heard the whine and then the low HUM of the e-box fan (that they previously could never replicate). So - They took it in, loaner to me, and off I went.

Two days later - "We determined that it is 'probably' the AC compressor fan (?) and we drove a new X5 with the same engine and heard similar sound but a lot quieter." "BMW said they won't do anything as it's 'normal'." Of course, the noise was NOT there 3 months ago...and they both agreed it was NOT 'normal'. They told me to monitor it and come back if it gets worse.

So - BMW is surely hoping they can just keep saying no and hope my CPO warranty expires (2 yrs to go). Very very annoying...I ended-up calling the SA yesterday and asking what I need to do to escalate this issues as it is NOT a normal operation thing, it needs to be fixed.

Have any of you had experience with this issue (the fan noises) and/or with a problem they would not cover?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Members

So nobody has heard of these issues?

I am preparing to make another run at the dealer, who profess to be "working for me". It's just hard to take when both the SA and the head tech say it's NOT normal...yet write it up on the paperwork when I pick it up as "normal operation".

Just was hoping someone had that whirring ac compressor/fan noise and knew what fixed it for them.

Thanks again for looking.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Noticed the same "problem" on my E60 550 about 1 month after purchase...Dealer also claimed it was normal operation...Forums define possible culprits as; a/c tensioner, compressor, refrigerant, etc... Girlfriend insisted I not stress, she liked that the 550 sounded like she was "in a jet".... (We've since broken up, and I'm writing this from the Dealership Service Area waiting room.. KIDDING...) The things we do....

If you would like to file a legitimate (dissatisfaction) report against the dealership, just send a clearly-written, well-defined registered letter to BMWUSA, chances are, they'll follow-up within 6 months, then you can deal directly with the "big boys."(Legit claims only please!)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
Noticed the same "problem" on my E60 550 about 1 month after purchase...Dealer also claimed it was normal operation...Forums define possible culprits as; a/c tensioner, compressor, refrigerant, etc... Girlfriend insisted I not stress, she liked that the 550 sounded like she was "in a jet".... (We've since broken up, and I'm writing this from the Dealership Service Area waiting room.. KIDDING...) The things we do....

If you would like to file a legitimate (dissatisfaction) report against the dealership, just send a clearly-written, well-defined registered letter to BMWUSA, chances are, they'll follow-up within 6 months, then you can deal directly with the "big boys."(Legit claims only please!)
Haha! Yeah - I can 100% relate to the g/f rolling her eyes thing when I obsess (or semi-obsess) about an issue with this car. She is so enamored with it, she just loves the overall experience (of the car, of course). Me? Call me crazy, but I don't think a noise that was NOT there wen I bought it and is highly annoying should be classified as normal operation.

I think my dealer is very good and they have been excellent to-date. This is really the first issue they haven't immediately fixed. They tell me they'll keep "trying" (good-cop-bad-cop 100% with dealer and BMWUSA).

I'd just like it to operate as it did 6-months ago (no whirring up and down noise)...not to mention the e-box fan being loud. Especially if I decide to go get an '08 soon.

Thanks for your response ron_cb550!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

whats an ac compressor fan? do you mean the blower motor for the ventilation system?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
whats an ac compressor fan? do you mean the blower motor for the ventilation system?
Dunno - but I did mean to type ac compressor/fan (as in blower - yes). All I know is that the dealer said it needs to get worse before they'll look at it again. Yeah, the ac compressor does not have a "fan"...so I am thinking blower motor. The E-Box is def a "fan" though...and again the say "normal operation" even though it was not anywhere this loud 6 months ago.

When I take it back next week, I'll get more detailed info and learn the correct parts/terminology and check back...in case it ends-up being interesting to anyone...or entertaining to see how little I now about that system perhaps. ;^)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The A/C blower motor doesn't increase/decrease with rpm changes.

If you turn off the A/C, the compressor clutch should stay disengaged. If the whine stops then you can isolate the source to the compressor (pulley, etc.)

If the whine still persists it could be any one of the remaining pulleys, most likely the alternator. I've also noticed a slight whine but only when I turn off all the accessories. Funny thing was that when I had it checked during a scheudled maintenance visit I had a very-low-mileage 2011 328i loaner car that also had the noise.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

One way to find out if the noise is coming from engine or one of the pullies - remove the engine belt, turn the engine on for a minute. If the noise goes away, then the noise is definitely coming from one of the pullies (A/C compressor, PS pump, alternator, belt tensioner, water pump, if applicable).

Running the engine for a minute without the belt will not harm anything - you will get an error on the dash for the alternator.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
The A/C blower motor doesn't increase/decrease with rpm changes.

If you turn off the A/C, the compressor clutch should stay disengaged. If the whine stops then you can isolate the source to the compressor (pulley, etc.)

If the whine still persists it could be any one of the remaining pulleys, most likely the alternator. I've also noticed a slight whine but only when I turn off all the accessories. Funny thing was that when I had it checked during a scheudled maintenance visit I had a very-low-mileage 2011 328i loaner car that also had the noise.
Yup, with the AC off, all is quiet (expect for the e-box fan humming away - diff issue of course). They guys at the dealer said they ran a new X5 with a V8 and reported that they "heard it a little in that X5 too". But this is NOT a subtle thing...it whines up and down...fluctuating with RPM. They actually said the same thing "It's probably the AC compressor but until it gets worse, we can't fix it." Just strikes me as bogus.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Members

I had the exact same issue. I have just bring my car in today and will let you guys now what the dealer says. The whinning sound is getting larger as you drive faster (with low speed) and will be gone if you turn the A/C off and run only fan...

Quick Reply: Fan Whine Noise and Hummm - Dealer says 'sorry'?