E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Family guys- Do you find the E60 adequate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

When we got our 5, I put my seat in a comfortable position for me, and the sales man (taller than me) got back there, and seemed comfortable. However, once I got home, and strapped a baby seat in there, the complaints started almost instantly.

Today, my son is 6 years old, 4 feet tall, and he's complaining too- "I don't have anywhere to put my feet daddy", and don't get me started on the wife, (5'2") and mother in law (5'7"). I would think they're complaining just because they like to complain, but I watch them, and I see my son and my cousin (3 years old, and maybe 3' tall), struggling to get out with my seat in it's normal position.

In one thread, I see a lot of you guys are my height (6'1") and taller. Is the 5 an adequate vehicle for the family, or are you only focused on driver comfort, and may not be fully focused on those in the back?

I love this car, but the passenger complaints are getting on my nerves. Are you guys with families experiencing similar fallout? I had the "7" on my hit list to replace my Edge, but the wife is so fed up with roominess in the "5", that she doesn't think the "7" will make much difference.

I might get it anyway, and tell her "It followed me home, can I keep it?"

Anyone with a 5 and child safety seats?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I am 6'4" and I feel your pain. My wife complained that the rear seat didn't have enough room for our kids' seat either. On the passenger side it's fine (mainly because my wife is 5' tall), behind me? it's a different story. There's a reason why when we were looking to replace my wife's SUV we ended up looking at the 7 series, the MB E350, and ended up with a Honda Accord (she didn't want to spend the $$ on the others, I love having a cheapass for a wife)
Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Same problem here,it's shocking how much space is in the rear once the kid's jump into the back!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by pjinca
I am 6'4" and I feel your pain. My wife complained that the rear seat didn't have enough room for our kids' seat either. On the passenger side it's fine (mainly because my wife is 5' tall), behind me? it's a different story. There's a reason why when we were looking to replace my wife's SUV we ended up looking at the 7 series, the MB E350, and ended up with a Honda Accord (she didn't want to spend the $$ on the others, I love having a cheapass for a wife)
Ha! It's vice versa at my house. My wife is cheap when she's spending, but wants me to go big. I was looking at some used car ads, and found a 2004 745 Li with 82,000 miles on it, for $18,749. While I know getting a car with that many miles on it is a risk, especially a car as sophisticated as the 7 is, but I figured if I get the $2,000 3-year, 36,000 warranty, that should offer some piece of mind. After all, it's still a Bimmer, and there are plenty 2001 and older 7's still on the road, not to mention my friends 1994 Buick Regal with 245,000 miles on it.

She all but threatened me with divorce if I get a 7 series. "We've got kids, we need something with some room, etc..."

I've been paying $600+ car notes over 10 years now, and don't own a car out right yet (I keep getting bored and changing them out). I'm ready to get out of that club. Last month Classic BMW had the 3-series (335 I think) on sale, $3,000 down, and $399/month for 39 months (lease). I told her I'd get that and give it to her, and I'd take the 5. She didn't want the 3 too small (she said). I said, "You're 5'2" in heels! How much room do you need?! I'll haul the kids around in the 5..." Well, I guess I lost that argument! LOL

She wants me to get something bigger (CX-9, MDX, Expedition), with 3 rows- she'll drive it, and I'll take the 5. I'm like, "If I get another Expedition, I'm driving it! LOL"

Man- I remember when I used to like buying cars- now, I almost don't like to even think about it.

I wouldn't be averse to picking up a new Honda Accord EX-L, with Navi. I'm worried about getting another full-size truck/SUV, because I'm still sore from those $120/week fill-ups from 2005 and 2008. It's fun driving those big-babies, but it's no fun feeding them.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by bighersh
I wouldn't be averse to picking up a new Honda Accord EX-L, with Navi. I'm worried about getting another full-size truck/SUV, because I'm still sore from those $120/week fill-ups from 2005 and 2008. It's fun driving those big-babies, but it's no fun feeding them.
LOL that is exactly what we got for my wife. Silver EX-L with Navi and every option, thing even has a rear view camera!!!! (wish my car did).
I have never liked big cars or trucks, but I've had 4 Grand Cherokees. Go take a look at the Accord the rear seat legroom is impressive, it is considered a "large sedan" by the EPA - which makes me laugh considering the EPA considers my car a "Compact"
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
Every since I heard that car existed, I've wished BMW had been selling them in the USA. I guess that would cannibalize 7 sales though.

They should look at the bright side- It would also likely cannibalize S-Class, LS, and A8 sales too! LOL
----------------------

Originally Posted by pjinca
LOL that is exactly what we got for my wife. Silver EX-L with Navi and every option, thing even has a rear view camera!!!! (wish my car did).
I have never liked big cars or trucks, but I've had 4 Grand Cherokees. Go take a look at the Accord the rear seat legroom is impressive, it is considered a "large sedan" by the EPA - which makes me laugh considering the EPA considers my car a "Compact"
Yep, I tell ya- I drove a 2010 Ford Taurus SEL (EPA Classified as a large car), and that's the nicest car, this side of a 7-Series, that I have ever driven, and at $38K, it's all but unbeatable- closest challenge in niceness (but not size and sophistication) probably coming from the TL.

It had almost as many gadgets too. It had a problem though. With my seat back where I need it, it may have had 1-2 inche more foot clearance than the "5".
Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Coming from the 2 door I had before, the 5 is a limo for my wife and 2 kids.........if anyone else has complaints about space they can take a cab.

BTW the kids are 10 and 12.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Coming from the 2 door I had before, the 5 is a limo for my wife and 2 kids.........if anyone else has complaints about space they can take a cab.BTW the kids are 10 and 12.
+1 I am not coming from a 2 door - I am coming from a Nissan Maxima, but I have more than enough room for my 8 and 10 y.o. boys... then again I am 5"8 so they naturally have a bit more leg room in the back.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

import a long wheel base 5 series from china

Quick Reply: Family guys- Do you find the E60 adequate?