E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Warranty, should I or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

My car officially hit 50,001 miles as we all know is now out of warranty - I receive that crazy scary notice from Consumer Protection stated that it's officially not covered. I'm already paying for PowerTrans coverage (included in my car payments) should I renew the factory Warranty?

What are the Pros and Cons? - I only put 5-7k miles a year on it (I go all over the place with my Jetta MKIV).

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

If the car has been relatively trouble free and you don't drive like an "a-hole", I would NOT get the warranty and just find a local indy (only if you plan to keep you car for 7-8 more years). If you plan on getting rid of it and do not have an indy near by, I would by the 2 year warranty (NOT the maintenance plan) and then get rid of the car in a year or 2.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by houbmw
If the car has been relatively trouble free and you don't drive like an "a-hole", I would NOT get the warranty and just find a local indy (only if you plan to keep you car for 7-8 more years). If you plan on getting rid of it and do not have an indy near by, I would by the 2 year warranty (NOT the maintenance plan) and then get rid of the car in a year or 2.
Great... I'm planning to keep the car for probably more than 8 years (if not forever). Perfect, I will not get it then.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Originally Posted by Giowizzy
Great... I'm planning to keep the car for probably more than 8 years (if not forever). Perfect, I will not get it then.
Good choice. Warranties are insurance, and insurance companies make a profit, so on average warranties cost more than the work they cover. If you can stand an occasional spike in repair costs, you're better off without the warranty.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

If the car is already paid off (you own the title free and clear) then maybe it would make sense to not get an extended warranty especially if you don't drive it very much.

What would suck is if you are making payments AND get hit with a huge repair bill.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Lets just say that when I was under my extended warranty through Fidelity Warranty Services, the $3000 cost was more than offset by the $9800 in total repair costs paid by FWS. I looked at it as a $7000 savings. Cant say that you'll have the same benefit. For me, it was a peace of mind consideration.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Members

@advancedlogic I agree with you but living in NYC with all these crazy drivers thinking they are demonstrating for "Fast & Furious" during WINTER time; I hardly take the e60 out that's why thinking about it I don't want to pay for something that I barely really need.

Thanks to ALL that responded.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Lets just say that when I was under my extended warranty through Fidelity Warranty Services, the $3000 cost was more than offset by the $9800 in total repair costs paid by FWS. I looked at it as a $7000 savings. Cant say that you'll have the same benefit. For me, it was a peace of mind consideration.
What all did you need to have done?
I once saw a list of the top 20 545i problems and between myself and the previous owner we hit 18 out of 20.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto

For whatever it's worth, I would go for an extended warranty, not necessarily a BMW one.
I hardly drive my car (22,500 miles in 8 years) and I still got a broken auto-gearbox a couple of weeks ago, costing me upwards of £5,200.
That would have more than covered the warranty cost for all of the past years and above all, I would have had a piece of mind.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I say get an extended warranty if you know you are keeping the car.

I really wish I had gotten one. It would have paid for itself in less than 1 year after my warranty expired.

I have spent somewhere in the area of $20,000 on repairs/maintenance to my car in the now 8 years and 94,000 miles of ownership. ($30,000 if you count tires, brakes and all services)

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty, should I or not?