E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

facelift regenerative braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fifth Gear article talks about a future development which will switch the engine on and off. Whether this is a misinterpretation of the new Active Cruise control is a moot point.

What is known is that hybrid vehicles petrol engines are entrely switched off at times so with appropriate development the article's implication is entirely feasible.

ABC
Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, jet black/black dakota, sport package, steptronic, L7, comfort access, rear sunshade, front heated seats, navigation, satellite radio also have 2006 Dodge Sprinter

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='378401' date='Jan 15 2007, 01:45 AM
As you might have read BMW has brought out a (very) limited release Hydrogen-powered 7 Series so as you say BMW is concious of alternative fuel technologies and all things are possible.

Regarding diesel hybrids, I wonder if there are technical/cost (rather than marketing) limitations which have inhibited the introduction of this technology.

ABC
are hybrids popular in europe as they are here in california? my impression is they are not. if they were bmw. audi, and mb would be selling at least one body style as a hybrid already. and considering the popularity of the diesel engines in europe and their mpg (or liters per kilometer) i can't imagine that a diesel hybrid would be out something that wouldn't be looked into. as far as the tech. how much difference between a diesel and gas (petrol) engine is there nowadays. no sparkplugs? i still think the only thing stopping diesel hybrids is the u.s. emmisions standards. otherwise a diesel hybrid would be perfect.

these companies are still in the business of selling cars. being the first well designed diesel hybrid would be a significant business advantage. look at toyota and the prius. in southern california people snatch them up. it's not just responsible, it is cool. great marketing.

T.J. aka asickmf
Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, jet black/black dakota, sport package, steptronic, L7, comfort access, rear sunshade, front heated seats, navigation, satellite radio also have 2006 Dodge Sprinter

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='378404' date='Jan 15 2007, 01:54 AM
The Stop/Start referred to is an enhancement to the Active Cruise - bringing it in to line with MBs offerings on the S series - in that as well as following moving traffic, it will actually bring the car to a halt in start and stop traffic, then if the period halted is less than three seconds, it moves the car off again - more than three seconds and the cruise control disengages.

Its a very strange feeling trusting the car to stop itself; the pre-production car I drove worked fine, although my heart rate suffered. It was an auto - don't know how this option would work on a manual. Also, in city traffic - I drove the car in fairly heavy traffic - it's virtually useless because it keeps switching off after three seconds.

What really surprised me was that BMW havn't added the accident avoidance/preparation that Merc have, where the car uses the active cruise radar to spot a potential obstacles and assist in braking where the driver doesn't take action.
actually the article mentions this "start-stop systems that switch the engine off when the car is stationary in traffic." as far as trusting the car to stop for me. um i'll push the brakes myself. i'm an american, but i'm not that lazy.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by asickmf' post='378406' date='Jan 15 2007, 10:06 AM
how much difference between a diesel and gas (petrol) engine is there nowadays. no sparkplugs?
Two aspects that spring to mind is the much higher compression ratio and, for cold engines, the need to pre-heat with glowplugs before starting.

These could feature in preventing seamless stop/start of engine.

ABC
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='378416' date='Jan 15 2007, 02:33 AM
Two aspects that spring to mind is the much higher compression ratio and, for cold engines, the need to pre-heat with glowplugs before starting.

These could feature in preventing seamless stop/start of engine.

ABC
hmmm wouldn't the engine be warmed up in a minute or two? i've got a sprinter van and that thing fires up no matter how cold of weather i've been in.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Contributors

ABC are hybrids popular across the pond?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by asickmf' post='378420' date='Jan 15 2007, 10:42 AM
ABC are hybrids popular across the pond?
IMHO not.

Firstly the driving characteristics take just a little getting used to though owners are impressed by the torque.

For now they have a potentially high depreciation (though not on sale long enough to establish accurate trends), the batteries are expensive to replace and there is much argument about the "cradle to grave greenness" of the technology when energy costs aof production of batteries and environmental issues associated with their disposal are taken into account.

ABC
Old 01-15-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='378428' date='Jan 15 2007, 11:14 AM
IMHO not.

Agree with ABC...

There's been a bit of bad press about them lately

- a smaller diesel (or direct injection petrol) engine can be as economical and produce very little CO2
- hybrids are expensive and not many countries have tax breaks for them here
- destructive mining is needed to make those batteries
- batteries contain poisonous caustic substances that need to be disposed of
Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='378434' date='Jan 15 2007, 03:54 AM
Agree with ABC...

There's been a bit of bad press about them lately

- a smaller diesel (or direct injection petrol) engine can be as economical and produce very little CO2
- hybrids are expensive and not many countries have tax breaks for them here
- destructive mining is needed to make those batteries
- batteries contain poisonous caustic substances that need to be disposed of
i totally agree with what you and abc say. i just know that here in america hybrids are definately the in thing. no one ever thinks of the consequences that you stated. most of which do not offset the gains of the hybrid. but, americans buy a lot of cars. i'd have to believe that these new technologies being added to the 5 series are leading towards somesort of hybrid by bmw.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by asickmf' post='378406' date='Jan 15 2007, 02:06 AM
are hybrids popular in europe as they are here in california? my impression is they are not. if they were bmw. audi, and mb would be selling at least one body style as a hybrid already. and considering the popularity of the diesel engines in europe and their mpg (or liters per kilometer) i can't imagine that a diesel hybrid would be out something that wouldn't be looked into. as far as the tech. how much difference between a diesel and gas (petrol) engine is there nowadays. no sparkplugs? i still think the only thing stopping diesel hybrids is the u.s. emmisions standards. otherwise a diesel hybrid would be perfect.

these companies are still in the business of selling cars. being the first well designed diesel hybrid would be a significant business advantage. look at toyota and the prius. in southern california people snatch them up. it's not just responsible, it is cool. great marketing.

T.J. aka asickmf
No one knows how to make more efficient hybrids than Toyota now. A few American auto companies are purchasing the technology from Toyota.
I don't think MB or BMW will do the same, it shows their weakness and they are behind on technology compare with Toyota and Honda.

BMW is focusing on hydrogen car because BMW is the leader on this technology. So I don't think BMW will have any hybrids cars until they can come out with something that out perform other car makers. I welcome all technologies; I hope BMW will success on hydrogen technology.