E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Facelift improvement in EuroNCAP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Minor changes will be done with the E60 facelift:
- engines, OK some improvement. 525d and 535i good (btw no 535i for EU?)
- front and rear light clusters, OK
- interiour, let us see
- outside changes

But the really important stuff as the
- Safty! Only four star rating with the EuroNCAP - NO NEWS OF 5 STARS!
- Problems with the chassi! Bad tramlinging issue with RF tyres - NOTHING
- Interiour! Cheap middle console materials - let us see and feel

I really hope that BMW can answer these questions!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='379586' date='Jan 17 2007, 06:59 PM
But the really important stuff as the
- Safty! Only four star rating with the EuroNCAP - NO NEWS OF 5 STARS!
- Problems with the chassi! Bad tramlinging issue with RF tyres - NOTHING
- Interiour! Cheap middle console materials - let us see and feel
It's hard to imagine how they could increase the NCAP rating without significant redesign (beyond the scope of a facelift, I would think... well a BMW-style facelift anyway).
While personally, I am ok with 4 stars, I agree with you that it should be a priority for BMW... but I fear we have to wait for the F10 for that.

Regarding run-flats, BMW have made their commitment to this technology clear. They suck, everyone knows it and BMW won't admit it!
The E90 is a disaster as there isn't even room for a spare so there's no way out. I have an E90 currently and the ride on 17" (non-sport) on many imperfect surfaces is deplorable. One of the reasons I want to change to an E60 is so that at least I have the option of dumping the run-flats and carrying a spacesaver. It's a disgrace that BMW don't give customers the option of ordering their car without run-flats - we're paying the money and should have the choice. Just read the E90 forums and you'll quickly see that 3 series drivers are screaming about the tramlining, noise, wear, ride harshness. Don't believe the hype about the E90 having been designed around RFT: it's crap. 3 series drivers don't have much of a choice in the matter (unless they can live with carrying tyre-weld and a compressor!). Many are getting rid of their E90s prematurely because of it (like me), some are leaving the brand altogether.

Don't know what you mean by "Cheap middle console materials". Looks like they have improved things a bit in the LCI but it's hard to tell from the pics.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='379692' date='Jan 17 2007, 09:45 PM
It's hard to imagine how they could increase the NCAP rating without significant redesign (beyond the scope of a facelift, I would think... well a BMW-style facelift anyway).
Maybe they have improved the pedestrian NCAP because of those flaps behind the kidney grill...

Seriously though we often only think of ourselves as drivers in the context of NCAP. Maybe, just maybe, the slightly different lines have improved the pedestrian NCAP??

ABC
Old 01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='379729' date='Jan 17 2007, 10:26 PM
Maybe they have improved the pedestrian NCAP because of those flaps behind the kidney grill...

Seriously though we often only think of ourselves as drivers in the context of NCAP. Maybe, just maybe, the slightly different lines have improved the pedestrian NCAP (no it doesn't stand for "kneecap")??

ABC
Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Members

[quote name='Raighne' date='Jan 17 2007, 10:45 PM' post='379692']
While personally, I am ok with 4 stars, I agree with you that it should be a priority for BMW... but I fear we have to wait for the F10 for that.

well they did improve the rating with the facelift on the e39 from 3 to 4 stars, and even on the current e60 they made improvements after the disastreous first NCAP test that only resulted in a 3-star rating so that after the improvements it managed 4; often comes down to a few extra welding points in the footwells and/or e.g. a slight remodelling of the steering column

as for the quality of the materials used in the centre console: if you order leather upholstery in the facelifted E60 the centre console will be leatherwrapped aswell; IMHO it doesn't get any better (I know I paid a bundle to have it custom leatherwrapped)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='379586' date='Jan 17 2007, 07:59 PM
The CAN, but never will.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Quote Raighne:
Just read the E90 forums and you'll quickly see that 3 series drivers are screaming about the tramlining, noise, wear, ride harshness. Don't believe the hype about the E90 having been designed around RFT: it's crap. 3 series drivers don't have much of a choice in the matter (unless they can live with carrying tyre-weld and a compressor!). Many are getting rid of their E90s prematurely because of it (like me), some are leaving the brand altogether.
Don't know what you mean by "Cheap middle console materials". Looks like they have improved things a bit in the LCI but it's hard to tell from the pics.

I don't get it with the BMW RF policy either, how can they be so ignorant and rude???

With plastics I mean the black material used around the AC and radio unit!

Quote denuyl
"well they did improve the rating with the facelift on the e39 from 3 to 4 stars, and even on the current e60 they made improvements after the disastreous first NCAP test that only resulted in a 3-star rating so that after the improvements it managed 4; often comes down to a few extra welding points in the footwells and/or e.g. a slight remodelling of the steering column"

Exactly my point
Old 01-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributors

[quote name='Ricracing' date='Jan 19 2007, 07:11 PM' post='380587']
Quote Raighne:
Just read the E90 forums and you'll quickly see that 3 series drivers are screaming about the tramlining, noise, wear, ride harshness. Don't believe the hype about the E90 having been designed around RFT: it's crap. 3 series drivers don't have much of a choice in the matter (unless they can live with carrying tyre-weld and a compressor!). Many are getting rid of their E90s prematurely because of it (like me), some are leaving the brand altogether.

I don't get it with the BMW RF policy either, how can they be so ignorant and rude???

With plastics I mean the black material used around the AC and radio unit!

Quote denuyl
"well they did improve the rating with the facelift on the e39 from 3 to 4 stars, and even on the current e60 they made improvements after the disastreous first NCAP test that only resulted in a 3-star rating so that after the improvements it managed 4; often comes down to a few extra welding points in the footwells and/or e.g. a slight remodelling of the steering column"

Exactly my point

The 3 star NCAP catastrophic results is the reason why BMW Nordic gave my a new car!
After some hard and long discussions, though.