E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F*** Deer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='925791' date='Jun 27 2009, 03:05 PM
I don't think there should be any issue. I hit a deer two years ago with my e39. Damaged hood, light assembly, bumper and fender...about $4500 in damage. Turned out this was covered under comprehensive rather than collision, so only $100 deductible in my case. Hope you will be as fortunate.

This is the case in Texas, I should know, I had SEVEN, that's right, count'em, seven deer claims when I lived in Austin. Lot's of night driving + lot's of stupid stupid deer. The last one I was doing 65 mph and a giant buck jumped right in front of my truck from a pitch black side of the freeway. I hit it so hard it flew up OVER my truck. I was soooo pissed that I grabbed a baseball bat and got out to finish it off, the damn thing got up and ran away before I got close. Unreal.
Truly one of the dumbest animals ever.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='926521' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:48 PM
Why would you be talking to your insurance company at all? It was your brothers accident. His insurance covers him driving your vehicle. It's his mess let him clean it up. Don't stain your own insurance history with someone elses accident. Hitting a deer is 50% bad luck and 50% not paying attention ie. probably playing with your idrive instead of watching the road ahead. I've never hit a deer in my life but I've missed many by paying attention and using my brain, and some good luck no doubt. If I crashed my brother's expensive car, the next time he would see it it would be perfect and he wouldn't have to make a single phone call or pay a dime to make that happen. I would make it happen and I would use my own insurance.

Wrong.

Your Comprehensive coverage (fire/theft/vandalism/glass) is in play. Your brother's auto insurance has no bearing on this event.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I hope you ate it..........

Unlucky mate
Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Dude! Sorry man....

As for insurance, it doesn't matter who drove the car, or what happened. If you purchased it through an insurance agent, talk to them. If not, call your insurance company to report it. Just tell them what happened. It will most likely be categorized as an "uninsured motorist" accident by your insurance company, and they will make you responsible for the deductible. If your brother drove the vehicle, your insurance company will want to know his insurance info to subrogate the claim against his insurance. Regardless of whether his insurance says, "...this is not covered by your insurance..." they will have to reimburse your insurance company for the repairs because the car was technically in your brother's care, custody and control. Don't worry, this would be all taken care of on the insurance company level, and most likely will not involve you (or your brother) directly. Just some insight from a former insurance broker (and soon-to-be lawyer).

Good luck man!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

That is the best order of pictures on a thread!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by rik zeppelin' post='926669' date='Jun 28 2009, 04:30 PM
This is the case in Texas, I should know, I had SEVEN, that's right, count'em, seven deer claims when I lived in Austin. Lot's of night driving + lot's of stupid stupid deer. The last one I was doing 65 mph and a giant buck jumped right in front of my truck from a pitch black side of the freeway. I hit it so hard it flew up OVER my truck. I was soooo pissed that I grabbed a baseball bat and got out to finish it off, the damn thing got up and ran away before I got close. Unreal.
Truly one of the dumbest animals ever.
That has to be a record. "My" deer was standing broadside to me across the middle line, and another was in front of him with his backside still in my lane. Heavily wooded area, came around a curve in black of night and there they were. Nowhere to go, no time to stop. Just aimed for the gap and hoped one would jump back or forward. No joy. Caught him solidly in the front shoulder, and flipped him end over end into the next lane, right in front of the truck that was trying to avoid me. Very exciting for a minute there. Drove the car home though, and for several weeks while waiting for parts. Really just cosmetic damage. Tough car....
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Sorry bout the accident...Down in Cajun country, we'd be having some deer sausage, deer jerky, and some tasty deer backstrap(tenderlon)!

Hope it all works out.
WIll
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Ouch hopes everything gets taken care of!

Happened to me once at Yosemite National Park, a doe ran in front about 300 feet away and just stared at me
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530XI | Black leather interior | Cold weather Package | Premium Package Exterior - M-tech kit / ACS roof spoiler / ACS trunk spoiler / Tinted Tail Lights / 20% Window tint / Matte black grills / Black roundels / Shadowline trim / 8000k headlights / 8000k foglights / LED License plate bulbs Suspension- H&R Sport Springs

Hope everything works out and good thing no one got hurt.

I hit a deer about 2 years ago with my last vehicle and and the deer was in bad shape. They ended having to shoot the deer because it wasn't going to make it with the shape it was in. I had some damage on my truck but I decided it was not enough to deal with insurance and I payed it out of pocket...It seams you have some more damage than me though.

I would definately take the time though to weigh out the differences. Sad to see a deer get killed maybe even worse to see a an E60 like that.

Sorry to hear about this and hope all goes well.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Just got the quote in, its going to be $6000. Thats pretty amazing to me, it did not look like that much damage. Thank God for insurance, that $6000 is 8 yrs of insurance premiums for me. Also my insurance said that they would use all BMW parts including the windshield so I am happy for now. I have American Family.