E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extended Voice Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61
Thumbs up

Reading back a little in the archives, it seems that a number of members have successfully retrofitted extended voice activation (EVA) to an E60 with Sat Nav Pro (UK media pack). A number of posts refer to this involving an EVA retrofit kit (about GBP54) and some programming. The retrofit kit adds the split menu button I believe.

I have spoken to two UK dealers with the aim of having EVA retrofitted to my E61 (built 01/05 530d). I was twice amazed at being quoted GBP700 - about 3x the figure quoted in some posts. One dealer has broken down the cost and it seem to include a 'voice input control unit' and 'additional microphone' neither of which have been mentioned by other members.

The dealer says that retrofitting also involves BMW sending a disc with vehicle specific info (with some out-of-the-ordinary installation). They also say that (a) BMW information regarding the voice input control unit is inconsistent and (b) individual car configuration can affect what is required.

I'd be interested in hearing from any members that have had EVA retrofitted? Has anybody else had to have this mysterious voice input control unit fitted? Is there really this much variation between individual cars?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Members

I'd still be interested in hearing about any (particularly UK) 2004-2005 model EVA retrofits to try and find out the real situation here. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by sumu' post='233025' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:18 PM
I'd still be interested in hearing about any (particularly UK) 2004-2005 model EVA retrofits to try and find out the real situation here. Thanks.
I've had the same issue as you. My MY05 car came without EVA as I bought on impulse from the showroom. When I first enquired whilst they were prepping the car, I was told by the parts / service team that it was about ?60 to fit. By the time I picked the car up, BMW UK had put a hold on retrofits due to some problems. When they then re-released retrofit the price had gone up to ?700ish due to the process you describe above.

No help, but gives you some background
Old 02-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Members

I had voice control retrofitted to my 2004 model year car back in early 2005. At that time the kit included a microphone ( plus its wiring) which goes in the roof panel by the rearview mirror and a new split button to replace that near the I-drive knob.
I got in just as the parts were released from BMW and only paid about ?170 including fitting. It did need coding for the car to recognise but my Dealer did this as part of a software update at the time so only charged 1 hours labour for the physical fitting and wiring.
It all works perfectly
However shortly after this the kit was withdrawn and only re-issued at the new higher price that you have been quoted presumably because of extra programming required on each car.
I guess you have no alternative, but at that price I don't think it would be worth doing
Old 02-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by db545' post='233035' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:48 PM
I had voice control retrofitted to my 2004 model year car back in early 2005. At that time the kit included a microphone ( plus its wiring) which goes in the roof panel by the rearview mirror and a new split button to replace that near the I-drive knob.
I got in just as the parts were released from BMW and only paid about ?170 including fitting. It did need coding for the car to recognise but my Dealer did this as part of a software update at the time so only charged 1 hours labour for the physical fitting and wiring.
It all works perfectly
However shortly after this the kit was withdrawn and only re-issued at the new higher price that you have been quoted presumably because of extra programming required on each car.
I guess you have no alternative, but at that price I don't think it would be worth doing
Same here, I paid ?182.14 inc VAT. The part was ?42.51 ex.VAT

PS It isn't worth it @ ?700 if you are looking for opinions on whether to still go ahead
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback - including the 'is it worth it' comments. For GBP700 I agree it is certainly not worth it.

Something curious has happened with this retrofit in the last year - most of the additional cost comes from this mysterious 'voice input control unit'. However, I suspect from the MP3 investigations on this forum that the CCC does not vary too much between cars of a similar age - if it was a software upgrade on one it should be software on another.

One thing I conclude is that the UK dealers I spoke to are in a real state of confusion over this - they don't really know what is required and what is not. I will talk to my service advisor a little more and see if I can get to the bottom of it. I'll post more if I find out what the situation is.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

any luck with this because I'm curious to know. I too was quoted the same price. I have the Media Package and wasn't told that I would loose basic voice commands too. Now I have a useless button on my steering wheel after paying so much.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

In 2006, I had my 530i retrofiitted at Sytner Coventry and was charged ?176 + VAT. All worked well and loved the function.

After the car has been stolen , I've managed to find a 2005 535d touring with media pack.
As for the 2005 models, Voice input was not included in the media pack and I have been planning to get this retrofitted again with the same price. Bear in mind the microphone and the wiring is already there.

Now Sytner Coventry many dealers around the area have quoted me over ?450 for retrofit. I have even show them the old invoice with the breakdown but they still want to charge me ?450.

Any suggestions please guys. I'm feeling very (p) off here
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 M5
Model Year: 2006

I know this post is too old. But just want to know how to do the installation of the retrofit kit?

Anyone know where does the microphone cable connect to(it's a 2 pins cable) ?