E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Voice Question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

I'm a little pi$$ed off, as my car is spending its 4th day at the dealers, given it was only meant to be in for 2 days.

They have completed the CIP upgrade, repaired the couple of scratches (rear bumper which was their fault & nasty stone chip/dent on front of bonnet) & they've also found & resolved the couple of annoying rattles that had developed.

Problem is the retro-fit extended voice. They have got it working, it recognises voice instructions & activates the relevant function, however when they press the voice activation button on the steering wheel the sound back is crackling, not the woman saying "please give your voice command" or whatever it is she says. This appears to be stumping the dealer somewhat, although their master technician could not spend that much time on my car yesterday as hew had to host a training course.

Has anyone else suffered with this & if so, what was the fix??

I'm hoping it's all resolved this morning & that i get my car back soon, but i'm a little concerned.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

This is turning into a farce.

My car was booked in for 2 days (on Tuesday) to have the few minor warranty jobs, CIP upgrade to 20.02 & extended voice retro-fit done & it's still their now. They're having problems with the software both the CIP & extended voice (as per details above).

Hope the DMS worked is not causing these problems. Can't see how it could be, but getting a little worried now. The dealer has told me that they've flashed virtually all the ECU's including the engine, so DMS will be coming back in 10 days to apply the re-map, just hope their are not further problems & that i get my car back tomorrow afternoon. Missing her loads now.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Hope this is not a sigen of things to come! Mine goes in on Monday to have EVC finished! They fitted the hardware 2 weeks ago but had s/w problems getting the car to recognise the retrofit..Maybe ?42.51 (+VAT) was not as simple as it sounds! Hope you get sorted! Let us know if it works OK tomorrow! y delaer syas they only have 20.00.00!! Surely this s/w is rolled out to all dealers?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My car is staying at the dealers now until Monday :thumbsdown:

They think they've fixed everything now, but the software was a real pain in the arse for them.

A little odd but the reason for staying in the extra 2 days is using their words "they want to put the car to sleep & check again that everything is OK on Monday when they wake the car up". Does this mean that the E60 is basically a computer with wheels??

Let's just hope everything is OK on Monday, as my patience is beginning to stretch. I'll have only had the car for 3 weeks on Monday & it's been with the dealer for 1 of those weeks.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I know you had problems with them not adding the MP3 software, but was your DMS remap OK when you got the car back?

Or has it been over written??

I want to take mine in for voice retrofit and mp3 but I will wait until after the Geneva Motor show if it gets re-written as I won't get a chance to get to DMS before I go, and I want the car to be DMS's for those autobahns!!

What were you charged for the voice retorfit in the end as well??
Old 02-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='243653' date='Feb 21 2006, 09:23 AM
I know you had problems with them not adding the MP3 software, but was your DMS remap OK when you got the car back?

Or has it been over written??

I want to take mine in for voice retrofit and mp3 but I will wait until after the Geneva Motor show if it gets re-written as I won't get a chance to get to DMS before I go, and I want the car to be DMS's for those autobahns!!

What were you charged for the voice retorfit in the end as well??
I'm fairly sure it has been over-written. I know i really should know for sure, but i only managed 150miles before the re-map, then 60 miles after the re-map & then with the car being at the dealers for 1 week, i can't be 100% sure, however i'm 90% sure it's been over-written.

The dealer stated that to fit the replacement ccc control unit & in an attempt to solve the install problems they were having, that they flashed all the car's control units, including the engine ecu, so my assuption is that the re-map has gone.

DMS are coming back on Monday to re-do the mapping, just hoping the dealer can get my car sorted on Friday & get the mp3 working, therefore not requiring any further ecu changes after the re-map. Only jobs left will be changing the i-drive controller to the 2006 leather topped one & replacing the faulty rear speaker, both jobs not requiring any software tinkering.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='243681' date='Feb 21 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm fairly sure it has been over-written. I know i really should know for sure, but i only managed 150miles before the re-map, then 60 miles after the re-map & then with the car being at the dealers for 1 week, i can't be 100% sure, however i'm 90% sure it's been over-written.

The dealer stated that to fit the replacement ccc control unit & in an attempt to solve the install problems they were having, that they flashed all the car's control units, including the engine ecu, so my assuption is that the re-map has gone.

DMS are coming back on Monday to re-do the mapping, just hoping the dealer can get my car sorted on Friday & get the mp3 working, therefore not requiring any further ecu changes after the re-map. Only jobs left will be changing the i-drive controller to the 2006 leather topped one & replacing the faulty rear speaker, both jobs not requiring any software tinkering.
Just got mine back this evening and Enhanced voice & MP3 are now working!!!! Hope you get yours done on Friday! If the Tech is having problems at your dealer let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy that's just done mine!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='243702' date='Feb 21 2006, 01:18 PM
Just got mine back this evening and Enhanced voice & MP3 are now working!!!! Hope you get yours done on Friday! If the Tech is having problems at your dealer let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy that's just done mine!
Cheers, i'm hopeful it's just an oversight on my dealers part, as they ended up changing the ccc control unit due to errors being shown, so my thinking is with all the software work they did/replaced, i reckon they had mp3 working at some point, but undid the functionality getting extended voice control to work.

Hoping it's a 60min job on Friday.

How do you like the Extended Voice?? I'm finding it great fun, although i've not yet mastered any but the most basic commands (Navigation, Entertainment, Communication, Climate). She aint getting names for phone dialling, changing cd's she can't understand etc. etc. I'll get their once i've more time to play. Need another read of the manual i think. Tis a great toy though.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Cheers for that.

So was the voice retrofit a ?50 upgrade or a ?700 upgrade like some have been quoted???
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Members

All in it cost me ?170 (inc) for enhanced voice. This was approx ?50 for the kit and ?120 for fitting. Seems to work OK. I found that if you say "options" the "bird" gives you a list of possible commands to help out. Haven't read the manual yet so maybe should! We've had a few mistakes on the way home while "getting to know each other" but selecting CD disks and tracks is great. Track ID command though on MP3 playing CD says "command not available", maybe that's just how it is..Didn't get the 20.0.02 upgrade though, they didn't have the disk! Strange as I told them they'd need it last Wednesday!! That means another day in the dealer!

Quick Reply: Extended Voice Question??