E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extended maintenance warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi -- took delivery January 24th, 2008 -- Space Gray w/black dakota leather interior and Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Logic7 / Bluetooth / IPOD / NAV / 18" Star Spoke 124s...BUT I could not resist the M Aero Kit, tinting the windows and adding front/rear blacked-out Roundels

I simply could not part with the E60...not with 15K miles on it...
So, looking for recent quotes on the maintenance warranty. Price/Cost, other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance guys...ALex
Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

we have the same car. Keep it, put 3k in a brokearge account, use it when you need it.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

See if your eligible to get Certified Pre-Owned on your car from a dealer - that is the best you can do, and it doesn't seem to cost more than other plans. The BMW powertrain warranty is expensive and I don't think it is worth it. I just extended 2004 545i with 46K for 3/36 for about $3K thru United Auto Care - best plan available. They seem to get good reviews from other BMW owners around the internet and my dealer seemed to like them.

My words of wisdom: If I remember correctly from statistics class then you can think the problem thru like this:

The warranty company makes money because they gather money from a large pool of cars. Statistically, not all cars will break down simultaneously, so they can invest the proceeds in safe investments meanwhile.

However, you have only one car, statistically it will break down more often than any one car in a large group of cars.

PLUS, you have a E60, which WILL have problems, as we all know. Which problem, who knows? but there are a few problems that can easily cost over 1k to repair. If your A/C or Transmission gives way, then you'll be glad you have it. I figured I would spend at least 3K over the next three years anyway, and it also provides a warranty to the person I sell the car to should I decide to sell it, making it much easier to sell.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi -- took delivery January 24th, 2008 -- Space Gray w/black dakota leather interior and Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Logic7 / Bluetooth / IPOD / NAV / 18" Star Spoke 124s...BUT I could not resist the M Aero Kit, tinting the windows and adding front/rear blacked-out Roundels

Thanks gents! All set...drove off the dealership parking lot with the odometer registering 15,555 on "my" 2008 535xi.
The details for whoever else is dealing or interested in this information was as follows:
- Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, IL (Gary Davis, Salesperson)
- CPO: $1600
- Two new rear tires & repair of one bent rim: $900
- BMW Wheel & Tire Protection (5yr): $1100

Curious to hear thoughts on "fairness" of prices, etc.

I have an IM into John for the Vorsteiner CS-01s. I think I will be hitting up C & the Russian for some further "clarification" on the so many great xi posts i have been reading these last few years...
...AND...
My only issue going forward - as so many of you have said before me - is to control the influence of this forum. Because, let's be honest the biggest issue the e60s have, is their owners wanting to "touch & feel them up" so often and in so many ways. I am just happy that I am able to do so to "my" 535xi....

Thanks for allowing me to share in my joy....
Old 07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by vamvaka
Thanks gents! All set...drove off the dealership parking lot with the odometer registering 15,555 on "my" 2008 535xi.
The details for whoever else is dealing or interested in this information was as follows:
- Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, IL (Gary Davis, Salesperson)
- CPO: $1600
- Two new rear tires & repair of one bent rim: $900
- BMW Wheel & Tire Protection (5yr): $1100

Curious to hear thoughts on "fairness" of prices, etc.

I have an IM into John for the Vorsteiner CS-01s. I think I will be hitting up C & the Russian for some further "clarification" on the so many great xi posts i have been reading these last few years...
...AND...
My only issue going forward - as so many of you have said before me - is to control the influence of this forum. Because, let's be honest the biggest issue the e60s have, is their owners wanting to "touch & feel them up" so often and in so many ways. I am just happy that I am able to do so to "my" 535xi....

Thanks for allowing me to share in my joy....
Congrats! The CPO was definitely worth the price. Not sure about the Tire and Wheel protection, that sounds high, but never have priced it out so I really have no clue on what it cost. There is a lot of threads here dedicated to the issue. When your CPO gets close to expiration, i.e. 10K miles out, or a few months out, give your sales person a call back and let him know your CPO is about to expire and see what other warranty options they have available. Some of these warranties are easier to obtain if you are still under your CPO. Hope you enjoy the car!