E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extend my maintenance plan or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012 | 11:17 AM
Members

So I'm at 45k miles on my car and I'm getting bombarded with emails from the dealership to buy an extended maintenance plan. Wanted to get your inputs on this matter. According to my iDrive, nothing needs to be done anytime soon. Brakes not for another 15k miles, oil not for another 8k miles and all green check marks across the board.

I'm a DIY'er and don't mind tackling things myself. I've already done oil change for my bimmer. I've done brake pads and rotors for my other cars (Honda, Toyota). Do you think it wise for me to extend maintenance plan? My car is already CPO.
Old 01-23-2012 | 11:35 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Extended maintenance = garbage
Extended warranty = lifesaver

Find decent independent mechanic and familiarize yourself with the DIY's, vendors and maintenance schedules on the forum and you'll be all set.
At the most you'll probably get 3 oil changes, maybe 2 brake flushes, 2-3 wiper changes and a couple of shitty brake pad and rotor changes for $1500 bucks I'm guessing. Not worth it at all...
Old 01-23-2012 | 02:56 PM
Members

I keep asking myself the same thing. I am coming up to hitting 30k on my 08 550. Nothing is scheduled for a long time. NO brakes, no oil change, etc. Had all that done under warranty before it ran out in November of last year. Car is not a daily driver and stays in the garage until the weekends unless my wife drives once or twice during the week. Not sure if it's worth the money to spend.
Old 01-23-2012 | 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by soulcontroller
I keep asking myself the same thing. I am coming up to hitting 30k on my 08 550. Nothing is scheduled for a long time. NO brakes, no oil change, etc. Had all that done under warranty before it ran out in November of last year. Car is not a daily driver and stays in the garage until the weekends unless my wife drives once or twice during the week. Not sure if it's worth the money to spend.
BMW ain't giving us a hell of a lot in the way of maint. to begin with, (oil changes, brake fluid change, wiper blades, & 1 or two brake jobs), For what they are charging to extend this, in my opinion its not worth paying for...find a good indy shop (which will charge you less money) & u can also get all those things done that the bmw plan DOSEN'T cover that they SHOULD, such as tranny & diff & power steering & coolant, (don't go for that lifetime fluid fill crap that the dealers are running on us!) :thumbsdown:
Old 01-24-2012 | 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by deltabox
I'm a DIY'er and don't mind tackling things myself. I've already done oil change for my bimmer. I've done brake pads and rotors for my other cars (Honda, Toyota). Do you think it wise for me to extend maintenance plan? My car is already CPO.
Sounds like you already answered your own question.
Old 01-24-2012 | 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Sounds like you already answered your own question.
Yeah. I guess I really did. Didn't know exactly what you get for maintenance, but now I do and it doesn't sound like much. At first, I had thought maintenance warranty changed out all the belts and fluids, water pumps, etc...

But if all I get are oils, wiper blades, and brake pads, then forget it.
Old 01-25-2012 | 08:39 AM
Members

Check out the attached doc's for pricing if you decide to go for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIB 01 03 071.pdf (122.5 KB, 88 views)
MPU_Pricing_7_1_2009_A1.pdf (43.1 KB, 113 views)
MPU_Pricing_7_1_2009_B.pdf (61.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-10-2012 | 05:48 PM
Members

DO NOT get the extended maintainance.

I paid $3600 after being talked into it by the BMW dealer in Ft. Myers. I was told with all the maintainence needed (including brakes), I'd save $100. It turns out I need my brakes done now but the maintainence has expired. I had 3 oil changes in the past 2 years of the extended maintainence. I can't believe I paid $1200 per oil change.

Keep your money and find an independent dealer.

Pitchar
Old 06-10-2012 | 06:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pitchar
DO NOT get the extended maintainance.

I paid $3600 after being talked into it by the BMW dealer in Ft. Myers. I was told with all the maintainence needed (including brakes), I'd save $100. It turns out I need my brakes done now but the maintainence has expired. I had 3 oil changes in the past 2 years of the extended maintainence. I can't believe I paid $1200 per oil change.

Keep your money and find an independent dealer.

Pitchar
You're sayin all you had done to the car was 3 oil changes over a period of 2 years? You didn't get rotation, balance, pump, gaskets, wiper blades, nuttun?! And $3600 sounds alot. My local stealership quoted me $2200. But i'm still not going for it. I just took my car in last week for something. First time visit to this dealer. What the guy did was recommend a bunch of stuff for me to get done in 3 months. My maintenance expires in another 1k miles. Then he threw the extended maintenance offer at me, hoping i would jump at it knowing that i would need all these services done soon. I held my ground and respectfully declined.