E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exporting BMW to Canada.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)

As you know I am looking for a replacement for the 6... may have found one, but most of the dealerships seems to be reluctant on giving or getting this "Recall letter". Us Canadians need this letter to avoid paying a $3500 inspection in Canada.

So just wondering does anyone know what this letter looks like?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Give a call to BMW Canada about the letter, as people have had mixed results with getting the correct answer from their dealers (after all, the dealer wants to sell you one of their cars...).

This was a huge issue a couple of years ago, and BMW Canada jacked up the price of providing this letter - which is basically an automated letter stating all required recalls have been performed on the vehicle. It went from something like $25 service fee to $500 to get a letter the last time the CAD neared/passed parity with the USD. My understanding is that the fee has subsequently been reduced, but I would confirm before you commit to a purchase south of the border.

Other concerns you need to watch out for -- dealer activation/updates to software for stuff like DRL (dealers raised fees for this last time), and requirements to make extensive modifications to the vehicle before being certified for Canadian use. Again, this is from a couple of years ago, but there was a time when BMW Canada wanted to require an entire new instrument cluster for imported cars because ours are Km/h only, and US spec vehicles were MPH with smaller inset Km/h. A number of local club guys did go ahead with their purchases and saved money in the end, but some of the cost surprises were unpleasant (to say the least).

Hope your puchase works out - there's definitely better deals and a much wider selection of cars in the US.