E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

explain this-Old cars, big HP, slow times

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

My all time favorite was a '70 Dodge Challenger. If I ever got one (which I've come close to, twice), It would be a big block (440, Hemi) in Plum Crazy. Here are some pics: My link
I just saw you can now get that color in a 2010!!! 2010 Challenger Info

The interesting thing is by the stock numbers, my '11 X5 50i could keep up with a 440 Challenger (probably not the Hemi).
I saw X6 50i drag strip results of 4.8 0-60 and a 13.2 104 mph 1/4.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
My all time favorite was a '70 Dodge Challenger. If I ever got one (which I've come close to, twice), It would be a big block (440, Hemi) in Plum Crazy. Here are some pics: My link
I just saw you can now get that color in a 2010!!! 2010 Challenger Info

The interesting thing is by the stock numbers, my '11 X5 50i could keep up with a 440 Challenger (probably not the Hemi).
I saw X6 50i drag strip results of 4.8 0-60 and a 13.2 104 mph 1/4.
My neighbor down the street just bought a silver one, with the blue stripe. I don't like the stripe, but my God, that thing sounds sweet... I think it's the SRT-8 (425 HP).

An old friend of mine's father had a car like that (70 Challenger), yellow with black stripes.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Members

When I was in high school (grad 73) I went out with a girl who's daddy bought her a challenger (plum color white roof) cause she was not much to look at. The daddy knew if his homley girl had this car the boys would give her attention. Going out she would say "want to drive my car?" Sure! We went out alot. Her name was Martha and she was the "great personality" type girl. She even told me the reason her dad bought her the car. Very real girl, just very real ugly. But that Challenger, make her doable.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by forever5
When I was in high school (grad 73) I went out with a girl who's daddy bought her a challenger (plum color white roof) cause she was not much to look at. The daddy knew if his homley girl had this car the boys would give her attention. Going out she would say "want to drive my car?" Sure! We went out alot. Her name was Martha and she was the "great personality" type girl. She even told me the reason her dad bought her the car. Very real girl, just very real ugly. But that Challenger, make her doable.
Aw man- that's sad...

So, how long you guys been married? J/K
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by forever5
Sad but funny.

Originally Posted by bighersh
Aw man- that's sad...

So, how long you guys been married? J/K
Even more funny.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Members

"That said, I'd take a 1965 GTO or Chevelle 454 SS in mint condition, over a 2010 M5, any day of the week."

That just blows my mind but to each his own. I'm too young to have been around these relics but have heard tales of glory from my father and uncles. I just can't fathom choosing a 1965 anything over a modern M5. Then again I have always admired German-engineering and my car-buying history is rocord of that. In my mind comparing the 65 GTO to 2010 M5 is like comparing two surgoens performing a vasectomy, one using a sledge hammer and the other a scapel. In the end the desired result is achieved but one achieves it with a lot more finesse. I'm not at all knocking the choice. I just can't wrap my mind around it.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Twinair
"That said, I'd take a 1965 GTO or Chevelle 454 SS in mint condition, over a 2010 M5, any day of the week."

That just blows my mind but to each his own. I'm too young to have been around these relics but have heard tales of glory from my father and uncles. I just can't fathom choosing a 1965 anything over a modern M5. Then again I have always admired German-engineering and my car-buying history is rocord of that. In my mind comparing the 65 GTO to 2010 M5 is like comparing two surgoens performing a vasectomy, one using a sledge hammer and the other a scapel. In the end the desired result is achieved but one achieves it with a lot more finesse. I'm not at all knocking the choice. I just can't wrap my mind around it.
I hear ya...

I'm not knocking the M5 in any way- it's a bad-ass car. But, given the choice- if you drive both through a happening area, the GTO will get more admiring glances, especially if it has some modern touches (wheels, tires, stero, etc..) than an M5 will. No way to prove that, just a gut feeling.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by bighersh
I hear ya...

I'm not knocking the M5 in any way- it's a bad-ass car. But, given the choice- if you drive both through a happening area, the GTO will get more admiring glances, especially if it has some modern touches (wheels, tires, stero, etc..) than an M5 will. No way to prove that, just a gut feeling.
Over here that is guaranteed. There appears to be more E60s than Hondas here. If you don't see a M5 at least once a week, you don't go out much.

I have a rough 69 Roadrunner. I get more attention than I need in that thing. But you have to realize you get a different crowd with a classic muscle car, esp if it is modified.

explain this-Old cars, big HP, slow times-small.jpg
Yeah, to you youngsters seeing a 15 inch tire with all that sidewall must be a little strange.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

double posted,
Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi-Stock

Originally Posted by healthservices
Apparently some of you guys have not priced a shell out. It would cost way more money to piece together a car than buying one complete.
I'm not saying that I would piece together a whole car, just that you could. The shells are around $13,000. Considering that it is all brand new, that is not really that bad. Just about all of the problems on a first generation F-body is that section and the unibody. a rough shape car will cost you $8,000+, And now you would have to do tons of body work and rust repair. With the new shells, you can have a '69 Camaro just about brand new for possibly less than what a new one would cost depending on what kind of shape your original is in. Would you buy a brand new 67-69 Camaro right now for $32,000? Not just restored, but just about brand new? The shell includes quite a bit with it. When I had my '69 firebird, all od the rest of the items were what I eventually replaced or upgraded. The main body shell was the roughest part left, and that was 22 years ago.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...0AC74319&trk=3

Quick Reply: explain this-Old cars, big HP, slow times