E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXPERIENCEING RPA PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Well, this morniong i went to drop kids and on the way back, the idrive starting beeping and it displayed that i have a tyre puncture, yet i looked round the car and saw no punctures, even a slow one, can the RPA be a bit tempremental? or should i get the car down to my garage to make sure, remember my car has 20s on on non run flats.

What could be causing this.

Another thing to take into account is that the weather here has been like 0.C or even - 1.C at night, could this a problem???
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

It can be set off by one tire being a bit lower than the rest. In my old 545, if one tire was 3-5 psi off the rest, it would set off the alarm. Just had a similar result on my wife's X5. Check the pressures as this could be the issue. Otherwise, one of the tire sensors may be bad, giving false warnings...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d Msport, Silver Grey, Amethyst Dakota Leather, 19" Mixed alloys, Media Pack, Visibility pack, Electric Memory seats, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors. 2007 320d Msport Touring, Sparkling Graphite, Lemon Dakota Leather, Comfort Access, Heated Seats. Westfield Megablade, Honda Fireblade 919cc engine, 135 BHP, 416 Kgs, FAST!!

I had a similar problem with mine, bonging all the time and no loss in pressure. I kept checking the pressure and nothing appeared wrong. About 4 days later I noticed a screw sticking out of the tyre

My advice would be to get your tyres checked
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Members

I have yet to see the FTM give me a false warning. I had it go off few times and I thought it was just a false warning. I had it even taken it to the dealer who visually inspected it, found no puncture, and just set it up to the correct pressure. But even after resetting, the warning came back. Upon having the tires sprayed with water and looking for bubbles, they found the puncture. So my guess is that you either have faulty sensor or a puncture somewhere, but I think its much more likely that you have a puncture. Although the system may seem to give you false warning at times, I personally like the system since it does not let a puncture go unnoticed.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

got them checked today and when i drove back, within half a mile, it said that it was punctured again, took the car back immediately, and had to call in work and take the day off, and sat around for another 45mins, had some tea and drove back again, and this time it was fine, until just now i went to get Diesil for weekends long drive and guess what?

Its now going in again tommorrow for another check,

anyone else having a problem like this or has had one?

Its getting quite annoying now, and bmw say its common, but cant do jack about it, is this true?

HELP IF Anyone can? Reseting needed?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='503537' date='Dec 6 2007, 11:30 AM
bmw say its common, but cant do jack about it, is this true?
RUBBISH ! Never heard of anyone on this forum having experienced it, or if they have, certainly not as a "common" report. It's more likely the case that "they've seen it a few times and don't know how to fix it" but find it easier to blame it on a "generic made up common problem".

Demand to speak to a senior manager and ask the service guy to repeat the claim infront of them, then ask for it in writing and state you are going to be speaking to trading standards about being sold a known faulty product. I expect you'll suddenly find they change their story.

PS- update your signature with car information (model/year etc) - it really helps when people are trying to answer questions.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

I Will certainly bear that in mind for when i visit tommorrow,

Thanks, so you def sure they will look into this more, cause my wheels are not factory nor tyres, so could they still refuse, the tyres are 285/35 and front stock on 20s

i Checked round the tyres quite a bit, and couldnt notice any sound nor puncture, so was still a bit dazzled

My signature was up , i got to do it again!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Sorry to hear about that mate, i got the same problem with my e60 about three months ago, and there are few things that you can do

For self inspection of the tyre puncture:
Try mix some shampoo or soap with water, then give it a well shaked and spray it on the tyre to see any bubbles coming up (It makes easier to see any leaks or punctures)

Make sure all 4 tyres are in the same tyre pressure (At least two front and two rear should be the same), and check the pressure again next day (Or couple of days) to see any uneven pressure between tyres. If they are still in the same pressure, then resset the FTM via iDrive then you should able to solve the problem,figerscross!

And i doubt dealer will bother to fix your problem (Cos the aftermarket wheels and tyres), but....why not give it a go? Goodluck!!

Keith
Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Must be that time of the year

Mine went off yesterday for the first time ever. One of my tires was two lbs off from the other three and I had just put new tires/rims on a few weeks earlier.

I don't know what the RTM was originally set for, so not sure if it was the air pressure or different rim/tires or some combination that set the alarm off.

Be sure to reinitialize the system after you have adjusted the tire pressures properly. This resets the baseline that the tolerances are built around.

Remember, any change in tires, tire/rim combinations, or even reduced air temperature can make a difference (as cold weather reduces your tire air pressure.) The owners manual also give a few other examples of what can set off a false positive (snow, tire chains, wheel spin, etc).
Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='503553' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks, so you def sure they will look into this more, cause my wheels are not factory nor tyres, so could they still refuse, the tyres are 285/35 and front stock on 20s
Are the wheels all genuine OEM BMW, and the tyres supplied/fitted by BMW? If the answer is "no" to any of those questions, then in that case, I'm afraid you are most likely on your own.

Quick Reply: EXPERIENCEING RPA PROBLEMS