E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Expensive Oil Change!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The intake air filters will always be changed in a BMW service.
Then add the oils and the oil filter change.
Also the brakes are checked and radiator fluid.
I also had a brake fluid change.

My first service costed about 300 Euros.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The intake air filters will always be changed in a BMW service.
Then add the oils and the oil filter change.
Also the brakes are checked and radiator fluid.
I also had a brake fluid change.

My first service costed about 300 Euros.
The air filter is done on every third oil service now with the BMW diesels. Has been that way since the LCI was launched and is why the air filter no longer shows as a service item in iDrive. Brakes are checked according to iDrtive as well unless the car is in for the chassis service.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Contributors

All of that is DIY stuff. Plus you might as well get a BMC or K&N filter. The stock ones suck.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
All of that is DIY stuff. Plus you might as well get a BMC or K&N filter. The stock ones suck.
Without full BMW service history you loose alot of value on the resale of the car. Doesn't matter so much as the car gets older if you keep the history or if the car is leased (though there are still limitations as to what you can do with a lease car). But when the cars are still relatively expensive for a couple of hundred pounds you'd be nuts to start doing stuff yourself on it as you will loose money in the long run(depending how long you keep the car of course). Also not such a major thing but if you take the car out of the BMW network for servicing you can forget any goodwill should anything major break down out of warranty.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Hi,

I started off at that sort of price, shopped around a few BMW dealers and managed to find one that did the oil & filter change for £120 in October.
I also managed to negiotate with a local dealer to get the brake fluid replaced for £84 and they collected it and dropped it off, started at around £140.

Now working on Vechicle Check, so far down to £94 from £134 !!!

You've got to haggle.

Good luck
Raj
BMW 520d, 2006
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 2007 750i

Not sure how is it in the States atm, but in Europe a car can lose about 10%-20% of it's value here if it doesn't have a perfect service book with BMW-only maintenance.
So those extra few 100's that you think you "save" by DIY'ing oil changes and all the jazz, can actually cost you a few grands when or if you have to sell your car.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beamlord
Not sure how is it in the States atm, but in Europe a car can lose about 10%-20% of it's value here if it doesn't have a perfect service book with BMW-only maintenance.
So those extra few 100's that you think you "save" by DIY'ing oil changes and all the jazz, can actually cost you a few grands when or if you have to sell your car.

I suppose, but I'd much rather save money 'now' than hope I get it back later. I make sure all oil changes are done at a service shop where I get a receipt. This way I have proof of the oil change and the ODO reading.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Contributors

I suppose, but I'd much rather save money 'now' than hope I get it back later. I make sure all oil changes are done at a service shop where I get a receipt. This way I have proof of the oil change and the ODO reading.
I think it works different in the states though. I keep reading about CPO or something don't most of you in effect lease the cars then hand them back after a certain time? Most people in Europe buy the car so any loss on the second hand value directly comes out of their pocket rather than when the lease company try to sell it? Another thing is that the cars are more expensive here so the loss through not having a full service history could well be higher.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by rmistry22
Hi,

I started off at that sort of price, shopped around a few BMW dealers and managed to find one that did the oil & filter change for £120 in October.
I also managed to negiotate with a local dealer to get the brake fluid replaced for £84 and they collected it and dropped it off, started at around £140.

Now working on Vechicle Check, so far down to £94 from £134 !!!

You've got to haggle.

Good luck
Raj
BMW 520d, 2006
Hey Raj,

which dealers did you manage to get these prices from?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Members

My Ride: The UDM

115$US here I was surprised to find out that dealership is cheaper then Mr.Lube

Quick Reply: Expensive Oil Change!!