E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Expensive Oil Change!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Just booked her in for an oil change, as its reading service due in 300 miles. Called up, and booked it in for the 21st June, as that was the soonest appointment, with a price tag of £185 for a bloody oil change!! Nothing else, no filters, pads, discs, anythin, just a bloody oil change!

Thats pretty shocking, I asked if i got a free picture frame aswell ( to frame the receipt ), but that didn't go down too well! ha

Wasn't anticipating these kinds of prices when I climbed on the Bimmer wagon... Probably me being abit tight, anyone else feel this is a rip?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW

The price of BMW ownership Im afraid Have you thought about using a BMW independant?

I had my oil change done at BMW a few months back and when I went to pay the salesman was wearing a stripey jumper, quite fitting I thought Robbing buggers! all this for a BMW stamp in the book
Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530D Lee
The price of BMW ownership Im afraid Have you thought about using a BMW independant?

I had my oil change done at BMW a few months back and when I went to pay the salesman was wearing a stripey jumper, quite fitting I thought Robbing buggers! all this for a BMW stamp in the book
Now you should start your quest for a good "indy".

But keep in mind that the materials are not cheap either. you need ~7qt of premium synthetic @ ~$8-10/qt + a filter ~$10.
So here it would cost ~ $80++??
If you do it yourself you could save about $25 in materials by shopping around.
So here a good price for an indy may be ~ $100??
Your costs should be similar after the translation in money.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I changed mine at an independent garage for $120. Thats 82 pounds. Costs for oil may be more on your side of the pond. Your still getting hosed my friend. BOHICA (Bend Over Here It Comes Again) in effect!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by njlou
Now you should start your quest for a good "indy".

But keep in mind that the materials are not cheap either. you need ~7qt of premium synthetic @ ~$8-10/qt + a filter ~$10.
So here it would cost ~ $80++??
If you do it yourself you could save about $25 in materials by shopping around.
So here a good price for an indy may be ~ $100??
Your costs should be similar after the translation in money.

+1, I just did the oil change myself over the weekend and it was roughly $75 for oil an filter! The dealer is a rip off, either DIY or go to an indy!

One thing to mention, as I did my oil myself it really gave me a chance to inspect the engine for leaks, inspect the belts an other fluid most of us just take for granted. So to me aside from the cost savings, it was really a piece of mind that not only did i do it right, but I was able to see if there are any other visible issues in the engine area both top and bottom.

So it pays to DIY

Good Luck
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

As of this typing:

185 UK pound = $271.54 USD!!!!! AND NO FILTER?!

Not worth it mate. Do the oil change yourself. You'd be suprise how easy it is. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by robg520d
Just booked her in for an oil change, as its reading service due in 300 miles. Called up, and booked it in for the 21st June, as that was the soonest appointment, with a price tag of £185 for a bloody oil change!! Nothing else, no filters, pads, discs, anythin, just a bloody oil change!

Thats pretty shocking, I asked if i got a free picture frame aswell ( to frame the receipt ), but that didn't go down too well! ha

Wasn't anticipating these kinds of prices when I climbed on the Bimmer wagon... Probably me being abit tight, anyone else feel this is a rip?
That isn't that bad but if you phone around other main dealers they may match a lower quote which is what mine did. My oil change (which I believe always includes the oil filter) was £174. I don't think they 2.0 engine takes the same amount of oil as the 3.0 so you may well get it slightly cheaper. The price of servicing these cars isn't bad at all really when you look at other cars, my father in laws C-class Merc that has the 1.8 kompressor engine has annual services with the cheaper oil service coming in at £250 and the bi-annual bigger service at £450. In the time I've had my car with the condition based servicing its even worked out cheaper than my work mates Ford Focus 2.0TDI with its annual service.

You can't compare any of the prices with those in the states because as normal its rip-off Britain in effect again.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 2007 750i

Originally Posted by IceyTys
+1, I just did the oil change myself over the weekend and it was roughly $75 for oil an filter! The dealer is a rip off, either DIY or go to an indy!

One thing to mention, as I did my oil myself it really gave me a chance to inspect the engine for leaks, inspect the belts an other fluid most of us just take for granted. So to me aside from the cost savings, it was really a piece of mind that not only did i do it right, but I was able to see if there are any other visible issues in the engine area both top and bottom.

So it pays to DIY

Good Luck
To be fair, a decent dealer will ALWAYS do the same, check the liquids and leaks. Here this goes without saying.

But yeah, it's damn expensive, I did an oil change + filer, microfilter, and brake fluid change and that costed me almost 400 euro.

I tell ya those stamps BMW uses, are made of pure gold
Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

My dealer has an oil change special recently. It was $64 only. I went and had it done without questioning.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
As of this typing:

185 UK pound = $271.54 USD!!!!! AND NO FILTER?!

Not worth it mate. Do the oil change yourself. You'd be suprise how easy it is. Good luck.

wow. such a huge rip off. I pay $64 USD for my oil change. That's right, $64!!!! For oil and filter and install.

1) Buy the oil from the dealer with a BMWCCA 15% discount (comes to like $54 for 8 quarts of oil plus filter). Yea, I buy 1 extra to top-off after about 4k miles.
2) Go to local cheap shop and have them drain and fill for $10. Done!

Quick Reply: Expensive Oil Change!!