E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Excessive Wind Noise with Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dropped my car off at BMW Dallas this morning to have the I Drive controller replaced and a couple of other minor issues. (Really I just like driving their loaners). Anyway, I was talking with the SA about the wind noise and he said that the issue is that the top of the car is curved and the glass portion of the sunroof is straight and that is what causes the wind noise. He said it is not a "problem" and that it is just the way BMW's are built. Mine is a 530i and he said the 7 series are even worse. He said they would look at it and make sure everything is sitting properly...

The best part is the loaner I got today. I have never driven a 3 series and he said all they had was a 2007 335i and I reluctantly took it (after requesting a M3 or M5 ) I got it this little rocket and was absolutely blown away at the power this thing has. Twin turbo's and 300hp!! I am 40 years old and was driving to work just like I had robbed the Southfork ranch..

anyway, just thought I'd pass along what I was told this morning about the sunfoor wind noise..

Have a good day all!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by kpatter' post='388001' date='Feb 6 2007, 02:49 PM
I just dropped my car off at BMW Dallas this morning to have the I Drive controller replaced and a couple of other minor issues. (Really I just like driving their loaners). Anyway, I was talking with the SA about the wind noise and he said that the issue is that the top of the car is curved and the glass portion of the sunroof is straight and that is what causes the wind noise. He said it is not a "problem" and that it is just the way BMW's are built. Mine is a 530i and he said the 7 series are even worse. He said they would look at it and make sure everything is sitting properly...

The best part is the loaner I got today. I have never driven a 3 series and he said all they had was a 2007 335i and I reluctantly took it (after requesting a M3 or M5 ) I got it this little rocket and was absolutely blown away at the power this thing has. Twin turbo's and 300hp!! I am 40 years old and was driving to work just like I had robbed the Southfork ranch..

anyway, just thought I'd pass along what I was told this morning about the sunfoor wind noise..

Have a good day all!
If you close the sunroof it will go away...

Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I don't open my sun roof all that often, it's awfully noisy.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

This has been discussed before... see this for fixing this prob: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=moonroof
Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have tried to get the E92 with the M54 engine to a testdrive - no such luck.

They say they have some problems with some sub-contractor and can't deliver
as much cars as they would like.

If a orderd a 335CiA now, I would get it next fall.

And the 535i will not be awailable in EU at all.

I have testdriven a E60 with the sunroof - yes, it gives more noice even closed!

Have anyone tried to drive with the rear windows down, don't, if you do not want
to keep your hearing...