E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Exact changes in different sport modes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know or have a document outlining exactly what changes occur when different driving modes are selected? for example, in DS, other than shift point, what changes, and maybe highlight the shiftpoints. in Sport, how does active steer change, shiftpoints, engine, etc? I think this would be useful information.

I'm still trying to figure out all the differences I'm feeling. In summary, it seems standar mode is powerful, but lagging. DS seems to make it a tad snappier, but still dragging its feet. Sport firms it all up, and Sport mode in DS makes it become closer to the animal it should be. Anyone else agree with this?

I also took one of the other members advice, even if given half jokingly, to disable DTC for even more spunk. He was right. changes not only the traction, but seems to change alot of ratios amongst different functions.

Sprint Booster seems to be a nice mod, but not so sure it's what I'm missing. anyone have th ECU remap with nothing else power wise, that can give an opinion?

thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Nice Ride!! The Search Engine will be your friend; this has been discussed several times both here and at bimmerfest.com. The discussion has been both perceptual and factual in some cases.... citing "your owner's manual" among other references! But I have yet to see the precise specifications of differences, which is what I think you're asking. I think some of the differrences depend on which tranny you have - looks like you have the Sport Automatic Transmission, where the differences may be the greatest among modes. Rudy may cite the most helpful thread; but I didn't get all my questions answered, for sure.

For me with the mix of city and highway I do every day, DS mode works best and I'd select it to be the default mode if it were selectable. I want to start in 1st, not second, I want higher shift points and less delay in pedal response, and I think the suspension may be tensed some though am not sure (for sure in S and M mode). The S automatic mode is very cool, except that it won't use 6th when cruising at highway speed and I don't prefer to move the lever left then right all the time. For me, M mode using the paddles is best for concentrated enthusiastic driving through the twists, though rpms displayed in HUD would have been a huge plus (could have opted for the M5 I guess).

In any event, search will turn up lots of hits. Have fun with your car!

Cal