E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

European Delivery Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004 | 11:00 PM
Contributors

Everybody always seems to head south after picking up a car in Munich toward Austria, Switzerland and Italy. IMHO if you want nice new Autobahn?s without too much traffic the better choice would be to head north for Dresden and Bautzen in former East Germany. Avoid panic stops and the cruise control and ED break-in will be a blast.
Old 12-01-2004 | 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: Euro Delivery (June 04) 545i Step, Saph Blk/Auburn, PDC, Premium Sound, NAV, Cold Weather Pkg, (SIRIUS soon, I hope!)

Two things.

First, ED is a discount that has nothing to do with German tourism, or tax break, or anything like that. It is simply because you buy the car directly from BMW instead of from BMWNA, therefore BMW doesn't have to share the usual 7% profit with BMWNA, which not coincidentally is exactly the discount you get on MSRP for doing ED....... BMWAG gets the same $ either way. Who loses? Your dealer and BMWNA.....

Second, I got my 545i up several times to 135-140 mph on the autobahn, at about 4,000rpm (I have the pictures to prove it), so you can definitely get it going very fast, and very close to the speed limiter, even within the confines of the break-in rules....
Old 12-01-2004 | 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by gmmandrade' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:46 PM
ED is a discount that has nothing to do with German tourism, or tax break, or anything like that. It is simply because you buy the car directly from BMW instead of from BMWNA, therefore BMW doesn't have to share the usual 7% profit with BMWNA, which not coincidentally is exactly the discount you get on MSRP for doing ED.......?? BMWAG gets the same $ either way. Who loses? Your dealer and BMWNA.....
Are you sure??? Its a US spec car. I still have my sticker. It comes out of the BMWNAs allocation.
Old 12-02-2004 | 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 1 2004, 09:31 PM
[quote name='gmmandrade' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:46 PM']
ED is a discount that has nothing to do with German tourism, or tax break, or anything like that. It is simply because you buy the car directly from BMW instead of from BMWNA, therefore BMW doesn't have to share the usual 7% profit with BMWNA, which not coincidentally is exactly the discount you get on MSRP for doing ED.......?? BMWAG gets the same $ either way. Who loses? Your dealer and BMWNA.....
Are you sure??? Its a US spec car. I still have my sticker. It comes out of the BMWNAs allocation.
[snapback]63253[/snapback]
[/quote]

It absolutely does not come out of allocation, although many dealers will swear it does. They are simply lying. This is a common ploy by salesmen to try to get ED buyers to pay ED sticker price. I had the same problem when ordering my 545i. The first two dealers I went to told me they wouldn't deal below ED MSRP because the 545i's had waiting lists and they would have to give up a slot. Pure BS. Finally, my brother in law spoke to a buddy of his who works at a dealership in Pennsylvania, and the guy admitted that ED cars DO NOT COME OUT OF ALLOCATION (M3 and, until recently and maybe still, the 6 series, are exceptions). That means they are PURE PROFIT for the dealer, with no downside in terms of sacrificing a valued production spot.

I finally bought mine from BMW of Greenwich, CT My salesman, very nice guy (happy to give you his name in private) did not try to bs me, and was upfront about the fact that ED cars do not come off allocation (after I began my negotiation by making it clear that I already knew that, and that any attempt to try to deny would just cause me to walk away). As a result he was willing to split the difference between invoice and ED MSRP, at a time when US delivery 545is were only being sold for US sticker...... More than $6k in total savings from US sticker.

They are US spec cars, but that has nothing to do with whether they are sold through BMWNA's allocation process.

BTW, the website bimmerfest has an excellent forum dedicated entirely to ED. Lots of expert advice there from people who are "serial-EDers"....
Old 12-02-2004 | 11:56 AM
vern---N.J.

Originally Posted by KansasWiz' date='Nov 30 2004, 08:04 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Nov 29 2004, 07:42 PM']Nothing happens.
The engine is perfect!
You should follow the break-in rule because the transmission is learning how you drive. But nothing serious happens if you just open it up and hitit...
It is just better to break-in, that's why BMW recommends it.
Hey, 120mph is pretty fast! On the most Autobahns you can't go that fast anyways!
[snapback]62239[/snapback]
I'm taking Euro Delivery of my 545i 6-speed Jan 14th. I'm wondering what the weather will be like. I've only been to Munich in the summer. Are the roads OK for driving?
[snapback]62439[/snapback]
I'm also taking ED,Jan 12th.,530i.Keeping my fingers crossed as far as the weather.Good luck.
vern
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Highways and mainroads will be clean. Just be carefull just after a snowfall because sometimes they still need to clean the road..
Old 12-02-2004 | 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

To me Euro Delivery is kind of BMW's best kept secret. A dealer would prefer you not do ED because they will make more off of you if you take delivery here.

It is pure dealer profit for the dealer but the dealer doesn't get anything from a CSI survey because with ED there is no CSI survey done.

The dealer will make extra if you finance through them and/or a trade in is involved.

I would venture to say that most BMW buyers do not even know about ED.

If you have patience (is a virtue) (and can wait the extra 2 weeks to a month or so as opposed to ordering one to pickup locally) you can save big if ED is logistically good for you.
Old 12-02-2004 | 09:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2001 Z3 3.0, Sports Package, Winter Package, 5-SpeedHard Top [built: pick up in Munich on 5.17.06] ED 2007 550i 6-speed (sapphire black/black dakota leather): sports package; active stearing, hud/nav, logic 7, cold weather package, rear heated seats, rear folding seat, power shades, comfort access, sat radio

Originally Posted by gmmandrade' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:46 PM
First, ED is a discount that has nothing to do with German tourism, or tax break, or anything like that. It is simply because you buy the car directly from BMW instead of from BMWNA, therefore BMW doesn't have to share the usual 7% profit with BMWNA, which not coincidentally is exactly the discount you get on MSRP for doing ED.......? BMWAG gets the same $ either way. Who loses? Your dealer and BMWNA.....
[snapback]63118[/snapback]
We're seeing a lot of contradictory information on this, but much of it is without sources. gmmandrade: Who is your source for this information? How do you explain that there is an ED Dealer Invoice Price and a ED MSRP Price with a ~4-5k difference between the two? It sounds like there is proffit to be made for the dealer?

Also, I'm curious to know if anyone has any source info for the claim that the savings come from a German tax incentive? In the end, it doesn't matter to me, I just like being able to explain the program to my friends... and would like to know the real reason the program works. I note that other companies also have Euro-Delivery programs (Mercedes and Volvo certainly do), so that might be a clue...