E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro NCAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Attached is the official response I got from BMWNA regarding the safety of US cars. A little more info, but still not the whole story.

bmw.pdf
Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributors

The belt/airbag system is not the same in the US?
What is different?
I would have thought that they are the same world-wide.
Why would you implement a different/potential sub-standard system in parts of the world if you had a better system?
I am confused.

:'(
Old 12-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

so basically he's trying to say cars in the states are safe but not in europe .
Old 12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

This is PURE BS!!!
LIES!

Seatbelts are different, USA has knee airbags... I am SICK of hearing BS like this from BMW!

There are no such differences. The E60 is simply not as safe as everybody, including BMW, thought it is.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributors

The only difference I know of is the differences in crash tests. In the US the BMW got a 5 star rating. In Europe where tests are more "realistic" the same car gets a 3 star rating, which is later upgraded to a 4 star rating, after BMW had made some modifications to the car.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 23 2004, 04:22 PM
This is PURE BS!!!
LIES!

Seatbelts are different, USA has knee airbags... I am SICK of hearing BS like this from BMW!

There are no such differences. The E60 is simply not as safe as everybody, including BMW, thought it is.
[snapback]71979[/snapback]
Iceman...not ALL lies.

NHTSA has certain requirements that other markets do not, and those requirements may cost more to implement, which is why BMW may not have the US equipped safety equipment in non-US markets. For example, for occupant sensing/safety (airbag deployment, dual stage airbags, etc.), the ECUs that control these features cost more per vehicle. I don't know if BMW is telling the truth or not, but I do know that the electrical design that I work on is not required in non-US markets yet. As a matter of fact, NHTSA requires that all US bound vehhcles have occupant detection systems by 2006 MY, that is not a mandate overseas and may not be for some time. Again, not taking BMWs side because I don't know anymore than anyone hear, but it's not ALL lies.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

If we are discussing how the E60 proformed when subjected to crash tests either in Europe or in the, we are interested in how the car absorbed the impact and which areas of the car did not absorb impact well compared to other cars. What does the above have to do with which seat belts are installed? Come on what bridge are these guys selling?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Members

I know for sure US spec E60 are much safer and perform much better in crash tests due to the black bumper inserts (none Euro reflectors). We should thank US DOT.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

dont forget that little warning on your i drive and the notice on your wing mirrors, how will we survive over here in europe
Old 12-24-2004, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Dec 24 2004, 03:32 AM
As a matter of fact, NHTSA requires that all US bound vehhcles have occupant detection systems by 2006 MY, that is not a mandate overseas and may not be for some time.
[snapback]72046[/snapback]
It may not be mandatory over here, but it's there.
Fact is, all E60 are coming from the same plant, Dingolfing in Germany. And the things that got redesigned are not different. That would be way too much hassle and way too expensive.
Best BS I've heard from them is the knee airbags. There was a crashed E60 on ebay, where you could clearly see that there is no such knee airbags!
I could continue and list more BS lies the've told me. The more they are telling us BS, the more I believe that they have a problem and don't want to take any action.

Quick Reply: Euro NCAP