E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Code P1554... HELPPPPPP :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys,

I just bought this 2006, 530I from a private seller, and a week after that it got the check engine light. Checked the error code on my scanner, and it is P1554.. According to my research its Vanos Solenoids, that may need cleaning or replacement.. The symptoms are..

1. It used to come on after a day or two after I erase it.
2. It went away when I went on long trip, and came out again tonight after about a week.

I am using a powerful fuel/injecter cleaner, and was planning to change the oil soon after filling up the gas tank next time. However, the problem is, I have to go for inspection tom and most likely they will fail it. Tried erasing the code tonight, but it wouldnt turn off the CEL..

My questions are..
1. Would cleaning the Vanos Solenoids help, or they should be replaced? I saw some Vanos kits out there, would they help? Any DIY available for N52 engine?

I hope even if NJ DMV fails the inspection, they give me 45 days to take care of it.

Would really appreciate help.. thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Try cleaning with brake cleaner. Since you have the inline 6 motor, there should only be 2 to contend with. They'd be located in the front of the engine along the lines of the cylinder head. It shouldn't be a big deal. When I did my upper timing chain cover, I cleaned them with brake cleaner and they turned out like new!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Try cleaning with brake cleaner. Since you have the inline 6 motor, there should only be 2 to contend with. They'd be located in the front of the engine along the lines of the cylinder head. It shouldn't be a big deal. When I did my upper timing chain cover, I cleaned them with brake cleaner and they turned out like new!
So, they are usually the culprit for this error code? I checked online, and there are so many variations like below
P1554 = Idle Speed Control Throttle Position Basic Setting Conditions not met
P1554 Cruise Engaged Circuit High Voltage
P1554 Engine Position System 'A' Performance (Bank 1)
P1554 Faulty Gas Tank Cap
Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Members

I had the same exact problem with my 2005 530i except upon diagnostic it didn't show any error or fault. The simpton is engine wobbling after start and sometimes in traffic jam the rpm meter went crazy, revving up and down.

At first, the dealer also suspected the solenoid. They cleaned it the first time and let me try for about a week, but the problem came again. Then, they change the complete unit and again let me try for 1 or 2 days if the problem was still there. Unfortunately the problem was not solved. From that point on I had a bit nightmare and hoping it wasn't the whole vanos unit.

So I strongly suggest that they try on fuel pump, ECU, etc before they conclude to vanos. Vanos was really my last resort. After series of money sucking test, the problem was still there. They even update the new idrive software LOL. Finally they sent the data to BMW HQ in munich to diagnose because they have conceded it was more on engineer side rather than mechanic side.

Then I received a call from the dealer that they have identified the problem. Guess what?
It was caused only by a loose hose pipe exiting hot air flow from the engine. I saw the hose pipe and it showed wear and tear problem.
And now my engine runs smoothly and notice no more weird vibrations. Vanos?? Yeah right!

And by the way, my car is an english version M Sport and live at the moment in Bavaria Germany. Thank god I am in Bavaria right now.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by autobotross
I had the same exact problem with my 2005 530i except upon diagnostic it didn't show any error or fault. The simpton is engine wobbling after start and sometimes in traffic jam the rpm meter went crazy, revving up and down.

At first, the dealer also suspected the solenoid. They cleaned it the first time and let me try for about a week, but the problem came again. Then, they change the complete unit and again let me try for 1 or 2 days if the problem was still there. Unfortunately the problem was not solved. From that point on I had a bit nightmare and hoping it wasn't the whole vanos unit.

So I strongly suggest that they try on fuel pump, ECU, etc before they conclude to vanos. Vanos was really my last resort. After series of money sucking test, the problem was still there. They even update the new idrive software LOL. Finally they sent the data to BMW HQ in munich to diagnose because they have conceded it was more on engineer side rather than mechanic side.

Then I received a call from the dealer that they have identified the problem. Guess what?
It was caused only by a loose hose pipe exiting hot air flow from the engine. I saw the hose pipe and it showed wear and tear problem.
And now my engine runs smoothly and notice no more weird vibrations. Vanos?? Yeah right!

And by the way, my car is an english version M Sport and live at the moment in Bavaria Germany. Thank god I am in Bavaria right now.
But, I dont have these symptoms... The car runs fine... nothing really noticeable, except the engine light.
Where is that pipe though, might be good to know... however, your engine would be M54, and mine is N52, so the pipe location, setup might be different...
BTW... if the dealer messes up, do you still end up spending all that money .. thats not fair
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Members

Nope. Its N52. Its unmistakable since it has no dip stick.

Frankly I dont know the hose exact place. Right or left of the engine. I saw only the pictures. The hose is at the near bottom of the engine.

After all the mess up I refuse to pay the whole amount. I only paid for the new solenoid, the new hose and new idrive software.
You don't need the details how I blew my horn.

Anyway I hope you could find the culprit sooner rather than later.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by autobotross

Frankly I dont know the hose exact place. Right or left of the engine. I saw only the pictures. The hose is at the near bottom of the engine.

After all the mess up I refuse to pay the whole amount. I only paid for the new solenoid, the new hose and new idrive software.

Actually, thats funny... I was looking for the dipstick about an hr ago ...
Old 06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Members

Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Members

LOL. Did you find the dipstick?
That is the downside. I don't consider it as a luxury.