E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ergonomics of seats: legs support

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Well sounds like 100% your sports seat don`t fit you.
In the long run it will damage your leg. So I think itis better to fix it soon.
All I can say is change the seats if they don`t fit you. That what I would do.
Why ware size 7 shoes when you feet are size 8?
Well good luck
Old 10-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

I have had similar problems with my back (turned out to be a tendon from the leg into the pelvis) from my last car and was advised to change it for a more sutable car (hence now having a bimmer). However i still struggle to get totally comfortable . I have learned that the seat position helps immensly and often a small change can make the world of difference. My biggest problem is not having memory seats so when the car is borrowed by the wife, cleaned whilst at work or visiting BMW again, it has the usual re-tilt and shift which causes me to loose that favoured position.

The biggest problems i find is pressure on parts of the body (and often not where the pain is!!!) such as the buttock, under the knee and the lower back. Try removing the pressure from the base of the knee - does that help?

In an older car i found the most comfortable position to be with my right knee resting on the door handle. Can you do anything similar?

Lastly, visit a speciallist who can (at least) show you some stretches which help those muscles which hurt.

PLS PLS do post your outcomes as i, and many others, would welcome any advise to improve comfort
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

For whatever reason, most carseats are positioned so that you buttocks are lower than your knee. I position my seat to be as level as possible and the backrest to be upright as possible so that I'm not in a semi relax position when driving. Believe it not, this position (sitting up right) is more comfortable for me and helps me driving better because then my head is not tilting forward. Hence, when seated, my leg does not complete rest on the seat because my foot is resting on the floor.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='345268' date='Oct 16 2006, 05:12 AM
For whatever reason, most carseats are positioned so that you buttocks are lower than your knee. I position my seat to be as level as possible and the backrest to be upright as possible so that I'm not in a semi relax position when driving. Believe it not, this position (sitting up right) is more comfortable for me and helps me driving better because then my head is not tilting forward. Hence, when seated, my leg does not complete rest on the seat because my foot is resting on the floor.
Well following your post, i've repositioned my seat to see if it helps. I will try today and will let you know... Not sure if it will as i'm a long legged 6'2".
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

I seem to have slightly short arms (or long legs) and found out that I sit better if I raise the seat a bit from it's lowest position.

I always thought that the lowest will be the best, since I am tall, but raising the seat half an inch actually gives better support for the legs and better "level" of the body.

Would like to have the steering wheel an inch closer to my body.....

/M

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='345758' date='Oct 17 2006, 11:18 AM
Well following your post, i've repositioned my seat to see if it helps. I will try today and will let you know... Not sure if it will as i'm a long legged 6'2".
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by tegel' post='345947' date='Oct 18 2006, 04:29 AM
I seem to have slightly short arms (or long legs) and found out that I sit better if I raise the seat a bit from it's lowest position.

I always thought that the lowest will be the best, since I am tall, but raising the seat half an inch actually gives better support for the legs and better "level" of the body.

Would like to have the steering wheel an inch closer to my body.....

/M
How tall are U?
Is it some for me then? I am 5' 7" and I sit very low. but its OK
Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

187 cm (about 6ft 2in)

/M

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='346009' date='Oct 18 2006, 02:18 AM
How tall are U?
Is it some for me then? I am 5' 7" and I sit very low. but its OK
Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Members

I had standard seats on mine & got the same problem. I didnt want to have to pay extra for comfort seats when I changed car, as comfort should be standard on any seat!. Top of the list when it comes to making a seat I would have thought. I've just changed to non-E60 & no problems at all. It was the poor seats that made me switch & I chose another brand. I had a bad E60, but E60.net is the best forum by far. Thanks for useful tips & banter over the last few months. Over & out....
Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='345758' date='Oct 17 2006, 10:18 AM

Well i've driven a bit in the new positions and so far no pain. The seat position does not feel quite so comfortable but if i do not get any discomfort then it must be a case of getting used to it.

I'm in for a longer drive today and will try to stick it out although i feel that i may fiddle some more to get the under leg support i am used to and find comfortable...

I wish the steering wheel came out further too.