E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Enjoying it more and more...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really pleased with my choice of car and returning to the marque.

Engine is very smooth right up to the red line and seems to enjoy being rev'd unlike my C270cdi.

Enjoying it more and more...-2007_1018image0170a.jpg

Enjoying it more and more...-2007_1018image0173.jpg

Definately no regrets on my choice of colour and interior.

Most practical option is probably the heated seats - it was only 3 degrees when I got in the car this morning.

One option I would have liked was the visibility pack, xenon, adaptive + HL wash, but was another ?720. Instead I spent the money on the wheels!

What would you have chosen?

Regards,
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='483447' date='Oct 19 2007, 06:12 AM
One option I would have liked was the visibility pack, xenon, adaptive + HL wash, but was another ?720. Instead I spent the money on the wheels! What would you have chosen?
It is lovely - looks identical to mine on the outside

If I had to choose between the two options, I'd most likely have gone for the visibility pack. If you do much night driving, once you've driven with Xenons, going back to halogen feels like having your lights switched off. Plus I guess it's probably easier (if not more expensive) to swap your wheels at a later date rather than retrofitting xenons and headlight washers?

But ... don't regret not getting that option. I put a huge spec on mine and already I am thinking "I should have got this, should have got that" such as ACC, TV, heated steering wheel (which wasn't on the option list when I specced it, would have ordered it in a second if it was!). But then I just remember what I _did_ have and how awesome this car is.

You've got a superb car - enjoy it - and don't dwell on what you could/should/may have done If you do, you'll end up like me (525d -> 530d -> 535d inside 4 years...!) and be broke
Old 10-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 520i, model May 2004, Bi-Xenon, sport leather seats, professional navigation, sun-roof, vocal commands, parktronic etc...

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='483447' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:12 AM

Engine is very smooth right up to the red line and seems to enjoy being rev'd unlike my C270cdi.

Attachment 39015

Attachment 39016

Most practical option is probably the heated seats - it was only 3 degrees when I got in the car this morning.

One option I would have liked was the visibility pack, xenon, adaptive + HL wash, but was another ?720. Instead I spent the money on the wheels!

Regards,
I would have chosen the visibility pack: xenon is beautiful!!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Members

I would have and did go for the 520d 177hp M-Sport instead with more options on it, I doubt there is that much difference in power, the tax is much much lower if this is your company car!

I have the wheels, the media and visibility pack as well as other options, liking your interior!
Attached Thumbnails Enjoying it more and more...-bimmer8.jpg  
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sti vi' post='483500' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:27 PM
I would have and did go for the 520d 177hp M-Sport instead with more options on it, I doubt there is that much difference in power, the tax is much much lower if this is your company car!

I have the wheels, the media and visibility pack as well as other options, liking your interior!
Yes, unfortunately when I ordered my car in June the 177bhp engine wasn't available to be placed on order so this wasn't really an option. If it had have been, and I had been able to test drive one, it might have been a different story of course.

My car tax has dropped from 29% to 24% anyway so I am not too much fussed.

In any event I had to correct a situation which existed at home where my wife's car was faster - male pride and all that!!! LOL It is though still more powerful, but not by much! Plus she has xenons...

Regards,
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I would have taken the xenons I think, since you already "had" the M135s. And wheels are easy to buy afterwards, xenons aren't. But with the LCI it's not _that_ important since they atleast looks good switched off and in DRL-mode. Either way you have an great looking car! For me there were no choice since the M172s are not available from factory with the touring.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Members

Xenons I am afraid can not be compared to HID lights, as someone else has mentioned, the adaptive headlights are quite frankly very impressive although of little use in London. I didn't get a test drive either, and I also ordered mine in June, infact I could have had a car as early as May, instead I decided to wait, as quoted previously my tax is around ?55 per month lower than the outgoing 163hp model never mind the 525d!

As far as fast goes, for some reason I look at this as a cruising motorway car, although the handling is great, it certainly does not come close to the involvement of my previously Scooby hence my user name. Decided to get my partner a Honda S2000, still looking for the right car, as I miss the speed as well, but the is a diesel Company car after all that can easily do a claimed 145mph, how fast do u need it to go!

BTW, if you want to protect your license, I sell and fit valentine one radar detectors in the UK as others on this forum use!

I have also had the pleasure of trying to convert my father who is also due a new company car. He currently drives the new A6 Audi 2.0tdi. After going round both BMW and Audi with him, he still surprising to me had preference on the A6 rather than a 5 series, perhaps as his son drives one! After calculating tax it didnt make sense, he checked his figures and someone else calculated ?700 yearly tax savings on taking a 520dSE or a new A6. Nothing comes close to the 5 series 520d in the executive car tax bracket in the UK, it is as with the whole 5 series range a better car as well!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sti vi' post='483510' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:42 PM
Decided to get my partner a Honda S2000
We had one of these spare on the fleet a few years ago so I borrowed it for a day. Revs to 8000 or so, but at 70mph you thought you were doing 120 so not any everyday car for the sort of journeys I do.

Lots of fun though.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

The car looks really good. Considering all options I would have gone with the Xenons. But don't hit yourself over the head about it. You asked and has been answered now time to enjoy the baby. Hey, look at it this way, you only need the lights for night time driving but you need the wheels all the time and they look really good on the car. I wish I could put those on my car.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='483447' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:12 PM

Attachment 39015

Attachment 39016

Regards,
I too have an LCI 525d M Sport. I agree the engine is very smooth and revs with ease. I've heard comments on here about the new 520d but, as good as it is, it can't beat the straight 6 for refinement, sound and driving experience, even if the recent power hike put it on paper very close to the 525d.

Regarding the wheels - no contest for me - I'd have gone with the wheels also, and in fact did in a similar way to you - couldn't stretch any further. To be honest, the standard lights on the LCI are fine. I've had Xenon lights on cars before and they are excellent, bu the standard lights don't disgrace themselves. Wheels all the way.....just look at them + non RFT's - Enough said for me.

Quick Reply: Enjoying it more and more...