E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Vibration - Is it serious?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2014

1+ engine mounts
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sequaz
1+ engine mounts
Cann't be mounts, I changed them already.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC_0339.jpg here is the link

Last edited by Nika; 06-06-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Originally Posted by Nika
Cann't be mounts, I changed them already.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC_0339.jpg here is the link
Thanks Nika, for the picture. I changed my engine tensioner which was gone, and the vibration is little smoother, but still exist. My deflection pulley is gone too (on order) and the AC tension seems to be fine but I might change it anyways later.

Back to your flywheel, did that fix the vibration? What were the symptoms of your broken flywheel?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Members

One day after pushing the engine got loud at 2500RPM, and later that night I heard very bad sounds when car stopped, it was like a tractor... then car turned off on me(broken part hit the sensor there)
It didn't fix the vibration.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Nika
One day after pushing the engine got loud at 2500RPM, and later that night I heard very bad sounds when car stopped, it was like a tractor... then car turned off on me(broken part hit the sensor there)
It didn't fix the vibration.
I am hearing from people that increasing the idle RPM to 750 helps the vibration, I am not convinced on this. Does not anyone know to change the idle RPM without going to the $tealer.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Members

Any further updates guys? Any of you having the issue already, tried the RPM increase with the $tealer? I am looking into INPA for engine adaptation reset, but not 100% sure yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Members

Some update from me on this issue so far, two people have confirmed that increasing engine idle to 750 has helped and in my persuasion to attempt and code the engine idle RPM myself, I am stumbled upon something strange from INPA. Under Engine->Status->Analog->MWB1, I see "Engine speed" and "LLR normal RPM", they differ by 20rpm i.e. Engine speed sits on 640rpm and LLR normal RPM is 660. From what I understand by changing gears and driving around, "Engine Speed" is what is running and "LLR normal RPM" is what the car is codded to behave in that condition. When the difference between these two go really high say 40-50RPM the car starts to get the $hits and shakes/vibrates etc

Image attached, can any of the owners who have this problem got INPA functional and can verify this symptom please? And, does anyone know if the above theory is correct and how to fix the difference? Is this a software or a mechanical fault.

P.S. Since "LLR normal RPM" sits at 660 and that is what the hidden menu display as well, I believe the BMW recommended RPM for M54 engine should be 660 at normal idle at normal temperature i.e. 93F (in-line with the thermostat). And then this number changes according to the condition of the car and the ECU keep monitoring the engine and the programmed number accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Vibration - Is it serious?!-running-engine_mwb1.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kskane
Some update from me on this issue so far, two people have confirmed that increasing engine idle to 750 has helped and in my persuasion to attempt and code the engine idle RPM myself, I am stumbled upon something strange from INPA. Under Engine->Status->Analog->MWB1, I see "Engine speed" and "LLR normal RPM", they differ by 20rpm i.e. Engine speed sits on 640rpm and LLR normal RPM is 660. From what I understand by changing gears and driving around, "Engine Speed" is what is running and "LLR normal RPM" is what the car is codded to behave in that condition. When the difference between these two go really high say 40-50RPM the car starts to get the $hits and shakes/vibrates etc

Image attached, can any of the owners who have this problem got INPA functional and can verify this symptom please? And, does anyone know if the above theory is correct and how to fix the difference? Is this a software or a mechanical fault.

P.S. Since "LLR normal RPM" sits at 660 and that is what the hidden menu display as well, I believe the BMW recommended RPM for M54 engine should be 660 at normal idle at normal temperature i.e. 93F (in-line with the thermostat). And then this number changes according to the condition of the car and the ECU keep monitoring the engine and the programmed number accordingly.
Just had 100K drive and I monitored the engine via INPA and observed that the "Engine Speed" is the current RPM which reflected how heavy my foot was on the pedal, but while the Engine speed is fluctuating between 2000-4000K, the "LLR Normal RPM" would fluctuate only between 710-725 rpm. So I am not sure what is the relation between these two. And when I was stopped, randomly I observed vibration in the engine and sometime not, either times the INPA Engine speed was showing 640 RPM where and the "LLR Normal RPM" was sitting on 660 RPM.

Does any one know what the LLR Normal RPM means?

Also, vibration or no vibration, the Engine speed sits on 640RPM and the "LLR Normal RPM" was sits on 660 RPM. So is this problem really related to software and engine RPM at all or something else?

Any help is welcome.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Members

I don't actually know that much since I don't have diag cable. giving it little gas does seem to solve this vibration but not sure to go that route yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 AM
Members

Has anyone came across a service item from the $tealer that says "1199 recalibrated air/fuel 6884"

Apparently, recalibration of fuel injector/Air is the solution to this engine vibration on M54 engines.

Any experts here know what "1199 recalibrated air/fuel 6884" means from the $tealer? And if yes, can this calibration be done via INPA, NCSExpert, DIS, Tools32 or anything else....???

Quick Reply: Engine Vibration - Is it serious?!