E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Ticking Noise is Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Question

Guess what? My car has that ticking noise for 5 months even I posted 2 threads ( http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=57887 and http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54019 ) and can't find any solutions.
Today I received a new set of Spark Plugs and I thought it is time to replace them. I went to the garage to DIY (It took me about 3 hours) thanks for the tips from http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=57710

Then all are done and I started the car, I notice the engine runs very smooth then went to test for a few blocks and I returned at home. Everything is perfect .... A friend came up and told me did you fix the ticking noise? I replied What?, He said I don't hear the ticking noise on your car? I didn't even notice that!!! Can't be!!?? Yes the noise is gone!! wow... I am so exhaustively and excitedly happy but that is very very very weird why spark plugs? Are they actually fix the noise?

then I thought to shot some pictures of the old spark plugs to share with you. I notice the spark plug number 7 is very black than the rest. Look the pictures:

Picture 1 (all the set of the old ones and my finger points the spark number 7 the black sheep that seems damaged or something else).
Engine Ticking Noise is Gone!!!-bmw_005.jpg

Picture 2 (You see the healthy and old one (same with the the rest) and the spark # 7)
Engine Ticking Noise is Gone!!!-bmw_008.jpg

Picture 3 (the healthy and retired ones)
Engine Ticking Noise is Gone!!!-bmw_011.jpg

Picture 4 (The Spark # 7)
Engine Ticking Noise is Gone!!!-bmw_014.jpg

I think the spark plug number 7 has been misfiring a lots and causes the valve makes the ticking... I don't know.

What do you think? Myself I can't believe it either.... Thanks to God I didn't bring it for repairs....I will go and blame the dealer their mechanics couldn't find the problem and never checked the spark plugs (see the thread above)

I will post the videos (before and after) soon.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by miguex' post='620852' date='Jul 10 2008, 06:04 PM
Guess what? My car has that ticking noise for 5 months even I posted 2 threads (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=57887 and http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54019 ) and can't find any solutions.
Today I received a new set of Spark Plugs and I thought it is time to replace them. I went to the garage to DIY (It took me about 3 hours) thanks for the tips from http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=57710

Then all are done and I started the car, I notice the engine runs very smooth then went to test for a few blocks and I returned at home. Everything is perfect .... A friend came up and told me did you fix the ticking noise? I replied What?, He said I don't hear the ticking noise on your car? I didn't even notice that!!! Can't be!!?? Yes the noise is gone!! wow... I am so exhaustively and excitedly happy but that is very very very weird why spark plugs? Are they actually fix the noise?

then I thought to shot some pictures of the old spark plugs to share with you. I notice the spark plug number 7 is very black than the rest. Look the pictures:

Picture 1 (all the set of the old ones and my finger points the spark number 7 the black sheep that seems damaged or something else).
Attachment 54363

Picture 2 (You see the healthy and old one (same with the the rest) and the spark # 7)
Attachment 54364

Picture 3 (the healthy and retired ones)
Attachment 54365

Picture 4 (The Spark # 7)
Attachment 54366

I think the spark plug number 7 has been misfiring a lots and causes the valve makes the ticking... I don't know.

What do you think? Myself I can't believe it either.... Thanks to God I didn't bring it for repairs....I will go and blame the dealer their mechanics couldn't find the problem and never checked (see the thread above)

I will post the videos (before and after) soon.
Looks like quite a bit of carbon build-up on #7. Be sure to check it again in a few weeks after you've gotten some miles on her - hopefully it's just a defective plug and not a faulty coil...or worse. I'm hoping for the best, as your ticking has gone away!

Here's an interesting question - were those the original plugs? Mine were Bosch, with BMW stamped on them. Yours were NGK's with BMW on them - I guess they used both???
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributors

By the way the spark plugs I purchased are Pulstar ( http://www.pulstarplug.com/ )

Yes, I am thinking to check the #7 again after few days and see what is the status.... I hope it does not need the valve seal.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent work.

That plug 7 looks like it came out of a snowmobile with all that build up.

Glad your ticking sound is gone.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

How many miles on those plugs?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Congratulations on the inexpensive fix. Does that mean you are not going to buy the engine?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='621015' date='Jul 10 2008, 11:54 PM
yeah curious here also. My i-drive says 60,000 more miles before changing them.
If it's not like crazy $$$, i might look into doing this earlier than later along with flushing all fluids.

RJ
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I think his other post said he had 77,000 miles on his car. They were probably the original plugs.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Contributors

Yes! right! original ones and never replaced until now. and it is 77000 miles. I was going to replace them when it hits 50000 miles but the dealer told me it can runs unitl 100.000 miles so I decided to wait. Damn the dealer!
then now I decided to replace them after looking the DIY (it was really quite easy!!) Anyone can do it! and saves your money.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='621015' date='Jul 10 2008, 09:54 PM
77.000 miles

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise is Gone!!!