E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine is stumbling / rough idle at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Engine is stumbling / rough idle at startup

I've been experiencing an annoying problem over the past two months and it seems to be getting worse. When I start the car all seems ok until I put it in reverse or drive. Then I hear what sounds like a misfire, stumbling RPM is a little unstable and rough idle. During this time when I drive a way it feels more like a misfiring situation. The problem totally goes away after 1-3 minutes. This situation is there when the car has sat for several hours and is cold. I looked for codes with INPA and found nothing except a few idrive monitor and chatter codes. Nothing engine or fuel related. I have the JB4 and it's been turned off for a few days and no change noticed. Plugs were changed at 50k and car has now 86k. Things I'm thinking about are replacing plugs, maybe coil(s) not sure if there is a way to isolate to one if there is a problem. Fuel injection cleaning. I will also consider but will clearly do if its gets worse the carbon removal from the direct injection. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Also 2008 LCI 535xi. I've experienced misfiring from cold starts but to a much lesser degree. Feels like you run over something like a 2x4 when you're creeping out of the garage.

Sometimes pulling away after a start it feels like the transmission is hunting around for gears too.

Goes away very quickly so I'll just be keeping my eye on it.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I've been experiencing an annoying problem over the past two months and it seems to be getting worse. When I start the car all seems ok until I put it in reverse or drive. Then I hear what sounds like a misfire, stumbling RPM is a little unstable and rough idle. During this time when I drive a way it feels more like a misfiring situation. The problem totally goes away after 1-3 minutes. This situation is there when the car has sat for several hours and is cold. I looked for codes with INPA and found nothing except a few idrive monitor and chatter codes. Nothing engine or fuel related. I have the JB4 and it's been turned off for a few days and no change noticed. Plugs were changed at 50k and car has now 86k. Things I'm thinking about are replacing plugs, maybe coil(s) not sure if there is a way to isolate to one if there is a problem. Fuel injection cleaning. I will also consider but will clearly do if its gets worse the carbon removal from the direct injection. Any thoughts?
Hey Tony, is the car starting right up? No long crank times.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60 535xi Prem. Package
Model Year: 2008 535xi

I am having the exact same problem with my 08 535xi again. The 1st time I got a check engine light and it was a misfire in cyl 5 & 6. My dealership changed all spark plugs and 1 coil. That worked for about 2 weeks lol. Now I am feeling the same $hit again, but this time i have had 2 long start cranks so maybe my HPFP is going....who knows
Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Booyaazaa - Everything seems normal except for the rough idle part when started. It also starts normal as always. The rough idle actually get worse or feels worse when car is placed in drive or reverse and you hold the brake. If you release the brake and slowly depart its the same, if you increase the speed it seems ok and after a couple minutes max, its back no normal. I was thinking something with the cold start system, but it was only a thought.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed

Does it change if you turn the AC on and off?

If you pump the brake pedal to the floor about 5 times very fast, does that bring the idle up?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

The ac on or off or pumping the brakes doesn't change the rough idle. Ill try it again in the morning.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed

How about pulling a plug wire at a time.. when one is unplugged the idle should drop.. if there is no difference in pulling off a plug wire - cylinder is dead - plug wire bad, coil pack, sparkplug, etc..
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550i Msport

This week just had injectors replaced on 335i 83k mi. symptom = long crank times on cold starts. CPO is worth GOLD on N54s.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Mike, I have not pulled any wires yet. I did try it with AC on/off and pumping brakes 5 times. Ths didn't change anything. If I let it idle it takes 1.5 - 2 minutes and its perfectly normal. Very Strange!

Quick Reply: Engine is stumbling / rough idle at startup